Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sonofperdition ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 07:28PM

Back in the singles ward, bishops used to pull callings out of their ass. Some dumb, but hot girl in charge of the fellowship commitee thought I was inactive because I could only attend church twice a month because of a job. I did my calling as a sports coordinator and had a weekly sports activity for the kids in my ward, payed a full tithe, went to the temple and read the scriptures and prayed daily. Not only that but my work had a LDS service. I got payed to go to sacrament. Only in Provo.

Anyway, despite all my righteousness, this girl, and her chronies, thought I was inactive. She was in charge of the fellowship committee. No joke, that's what it was called. Her job was to invite or rather love bomb people back to church.

I had heard from a roommate my name had come up in PEC meeting. A lot of people in the meeting were apparently very worried that I was becoming inactive, despite my roommates assurance I had to work twice a month on a sunday. Their was a big debate in PEC about my activity and my name got sent out to retard girl.

Later that week I got a knock on the door. She with a bunch of zit faced 18 and 19 year olds, (I was 25 at the time) stood their with a plate of cookies and an invite to make it to church and all other activities. I got in an argument with her at the door about me being inactive. She was got embarrassed in front of her minions and told me I was not active and treading dangerous water. My roommates were laughing in the back and were yelling at me to take the cookies. Under pressure and being pissed off I took the damn cookies...

I was ready to give them to my roommates. Then I decided this girl who had not served a mission was going to come and tell the doctrine of being inactive when I was a returned missionary. I took the cookies knocked on her door and got in another argument with her. Before she was nice and now we were yelling. She told me I was inactive and the bishop told her to fellowship me. I told her she was wrong and threw the cookies down on her doorstep. She slammed the door. I walked away.

Talked to the bishop next sunday, he assured me that he never told the girl to do what she did and said he would talk to her.
Fucking cult.

Anyway, anyone else have an experience like this?

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2015 07:47PM by sonofperdition.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Savior's Elf ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 07:37PM

No but that sounds incredibly irritating. I was feeling angry just reading it!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 07:40PM

This happened to my sister when she was a Beehive.

There was a new Beehive advisor who had just moved into the ward, & the girls on the class basically led her to believe that my sister was inactive because she didn't go to Mutual because she was busy with extracurricular activities.

So this lady calls my house, thinking that we are inactive. Meanwhile, I'm a Primary counselor, & my mom has a calling too.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 07:41PM

No. Actually, for about 3 months shortly after my mission, members thought I was active when I was inactive. They assumed I had been attending a "singles" ward. I wasn't. I was staying home :)

Posted by: Mr. Inactive ( )
Date: September 28, 2015 07:41PM

No, no one ever mistook my inactivity. Everyone knew I couldn't be bothered with a cult I profoundly rejected.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 12:39AM

For 10 years I sat in the same place in the chapel during sacrament meeting. I was there almost every Sunday. I sat towards the back.

I often had people in the ward tell me they missed me and were happy to see me at church. Ummm, i've been here every week for years. They would always get flustered and kind of just disappear.

I know that I was put on the inactive list several times even though I was always there.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 12:56AM

I had a baby about 5 months before we left the church, and I nursed. That meant that I was the one who needed to stay home if she wasn't feeling well, or take her in the mothers lounge at church if she was hungry.

Generally, we sat in the back and church, and I probably spent half of the time in the hall or the mothers lounge. Plus we had 2 other young kids who were wrangling to keep quiet during church. The whole exercise of even showing up was rather ridiculous.

Anyway, I don't even remember why, but at some point, the bishop showed up at my door and it came out that he thought I was inactive, in spite of the fact that I was there almost every week. I was kind of bothered by it, to be honest. Because I was struggling with getting nothing out of the meetings and I was at a spiritual low, in spite of really trying to have faith and all of that. But I was attending, in spite of the fact that because of my kids and my calling (nursery), I got NO spiritual uplift out of the meetings. I was just getting dressed up to babysit in heels and pantyhose. I had never in my life been 'inactive'.

A couple of months later, I figured out that the whole thing was a fraud. THEN I didn't go inactive. I went apostate.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 01:32AM

Not necessarily thought either of us were inactive but thought we were single...

We were living in Provo with three little ones and hubby's job at the time required him to work most weekends. Our ward overlapped an over 30's singles ward and a couple of really creepy guys from that ward thought I was a single mom and tried to ask me out.

A year or so later, the over 30 singles ward was dissolved and the singles were assigned to attend family wards in our stake. I was busy with callings in the primary and hubby was the Sunday school president. A couple of the over 30 single ladies thought he was single.

Interesting how none of the over 30 singles seemed to notice wedding rings.

Posted by: tahoe girl ( )
Date: September 29, 2015 02:26AM

I was called as the hymn directory (or whatever they called it) my freshman year at BYU. I lead the hymns every sunday in the basement of the JKB. A few months into it, in January, I was talking to a group of people in the ward who had no idea who I was. REALLY?!!?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.