Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: October 03, 2015 12:56AM

When I was 9 years old, all I wanted to be when I grew up was a mom. It's what I was taught to be, and more importantly, its what I was supposed to be.

Today my 9 year old daughter was watching 'Friends,' the episode where Rachael had her baby. My daughter started to ask me a question, which started out "if I choose to have kids..."

Yes! She HAS a choice. Just because she has all the right parts physically, does not mean she HAS to have kids. She gets it. My 9 year old realizes she can choose.

We stopped going to church when this daughter was 3. It's been one hell of a transition for me as a parent to figure out how to let go of the indoctrination I was raised with- and then to muddle through a new way of thinking while raising 4 young kids. My daughters words we're a glimmer of hope for me today- she has none of the Mormon mind set I had at that age.

Happy Friday night:)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: October 03, 2015 06:46AM

This is probably going to stay with you as a very positive memory from her childhood. Congrats!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 03, 2015 08:15AM

She sounds like a winner for sure. :)

Also, being able to say I'm a woman who can stand on my own two feet, is a worthy goal we weren't taught growing up in the church.

If she's that smart now, she'll make the connection that she can be whoever she wants to be.

We were so groomed to be wives and mothers it's taken a lifetime to unlearn that we're okay just as we are, with or without a husband or children to define and affirm us.

That's what the church finds so threatening about feminism. It takes away from the male hierarchy of the church to dominate and control us.

Once we own our power, we find we aren't giving it back. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.