Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jewles ( )
Date: October 04, 2015 08:00PM

Does he not understand that people can have physical limitations that can keep them from doing even important things? How is having a dementia ridden prophet, someone dying of cancer (Perry), some one bedridden (Scott) or someone wheelchair bound, unable to speak in a top leadership a good thing? What universe besides tscc is that even acceptable? When are physical limitations enough to say I am done? And why the hell can't Tbms see that they are being led by dying men who can't even do "important things"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 04, 2015 08:09PM

Perhaps they see it as some sort of self-imposed martyrdom? A "look at the sacrifice they are making" by continuing in the "Lord's service" even though their bodies are extremely old and frail, and their minds fading?

Again, an appeal to emotions?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 04, 2015 08:52PM

Like babies have a thinner veil between them and the spirit world, old people do as well. The goal is to get them so close to death that they can actually talk with spirits while at the same time they can still physically speak. God is perfecting this.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: October 04, 2015 08:57PM

Is that what was happening with Monson during his final 30 seconds? Did he suddenly see spirits that startled him causing his words to be inarticulate (physically mumbling like a babe)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2015 08:57PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 05, 2015 10:20AM

Is there a recording of this? I missed ALL of GC this fall.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 04, 2015 10:53PM

If the 15 and all the quorums of the seventy and the presiding bishopric miraculously died at precisely the same moment, and cult HQ went into full meltdown/damage mode, and TBM's all over the globe began their decent into insanity 'cause there'd be no one left to tell them what to do....I would not care a whit....just like the 7 billion+ other earthlings that don't give a rat's ass about the COJCOLDS.

RB

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: October 04, 2015 10:59PM

a pope like the last one who decided to retire. These presidents of the church could do the same if they only had the courage.

Posted by: masonfree ( )
Date: October 05, 2015 03:52PM

There are two counter-examples speaking to Bednar's talk that should be obvious to Mormons from their own teachings: Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith. There didn't seem to be a problem with either of them taking the reigns in their 20's or 30's! I'd say they have good precedent there for not making their leadership choices based too much on a number. Of course once all the leaders are old in a cult like this then, it a weird sense, what's "in" is to be an old leader... no actual doctrinal or historical basis required!

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: October 05, 2015 04:07PM

Remember the phrase "Till death do us part". It is directly applicable to this scenario.

I sympathize with Mr. Monson's condition.

I hold no sympathy nor tolerance toward those who would parade a sick,dying man out in front of millions which is an embarrassment to him and an insult to his followers

Posted by: greensmythe ( )
Date: October 05, 2015 04:22PM

Bednar is probably weeping for joy every time he sees another one off his colleagues bite the dust as that puts him one step closer to the prize. The current system favors him since he is relatively young and any change to the established order of gerontocracy would only hurt his chances. Once he's in charge there is nothing stopping his pickle talk from being canonized scripture.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.