Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eternal1(not logged in) ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 11:45AM

Does anyone have a link to patriarchal blessings of dead people that said they would see Christ return in their lifetime?

I'm in a conversation with a tbm that says this isn't true but I seem to remember reading it somewhere.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 11:49AM

My brother's states he will live through the second coming. The only reasons he told us was because of an urban legend floating around one evening and we were worried he'd be shot if he flashed his lights at cars with their headlights off. (The days before everyone had cell phones and snopes probably didn't exist.)

Posted by: Eternal1(not logged in) ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 12:14PM

Thanks, I'm sure there are some living people out there that have this in their patriarchal blessing, but, I was hoping for a link to some people that have died that said they would see Christ in their lifetime.

And, didn't the early Mormons believe Christ was going to return any day?

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 01:29PM

Just like the temple name oracle and the one the other day with PBs and their similarities.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 12:19PM

Even then the blessings of a PB can be void if there was sin involved. Not righteous enough then your blessing doesn't come true.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 12:31PM

It will eventually happen though, right?

right?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 01:25PM

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 01:51PM

Mine says I will live to see the second coming.

Early Mormons in their "gathering-to-Zion-communal-living" days thought that Christ would return any day...I'm sure that was because Smith and Rigdon were telling them that.

My TBM FIL talks about a conference talk given in a priesthood session in the 50's that said some present would live to see the second coming. The youngest people that were in that meeting are now 70+, so my FIL KNOWS that the second coming is right around the corner.

I believe there were several earlier similar "prophecies" that have failed, including Joe's failed prophecy in the D&C...though apologists today say that was just Jesus messing around...he's so funny!...

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 03:45PM

Mine says that my entire family will be lifted into the heavens in Celestial glory. Either we're all going to die together, or we're going to be translated. Both highly unlikely.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 01:57PM

I believe what you would need to see are the patriarchal blessings given back in the early days of the church when the ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THE CHURCH was to gather for Christ's second coming and that INDEED it was going to happen before the 20th century began (the year 1900).

These blessings, given between 1840 and 1890, are the blessings, if they can be found, that would most certainly reference living to see the second coming.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 02:04PM

Date: October 07, 2015 06:06PM

GREAT ARTICLE. GREAT DETAIL. ANSWERS THE QUESTION.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 12:34PM

Thanks for the link, it was very helpful!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 02:05PM

When *nothing* happens, they'll simply say that the church being "restored" was basically Christ returning, so we "see" Him every day, right?

Also, Jesus appearing to JS was...oh...I don't know...Christ returning to earth? But if his feet didn't touch the ground then I guess technically it doesn't count... :-)

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 02:10PM

I am still waiting. Mine says I am supposed to see it and even be a leader.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2015 02:10PM by shodanrob.

Posted by: tiredoflies ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 02:46PM

If you're posting here, you've rendered your "blessing" null and void as you are now unworthy.

Date: October 07, 2015 05:49PM

Shodanrob,

Are you willing to post the paragraph from your blessing that describes that you will be a witness to the second coming?

Date: October 07, 2015 05:52PM

If I can find it

*Edit

"As we near the last days of this dispensation,You will be a leader among men and many will look to you for direction during this time of tribulation. You will witness our Lord and Savior as he makes his return to the Earth participate in the First Resurrection."

And so on and so forth. Tells me to continually study and look for knowledge. Ooops, I did...look what I found out. :) Guess I won't be leading anyone to the promised land or up to the mountains with Julie Rowe

My wife's says she will also be a witness in the last days of the return of the Lord.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2015 06:30PM by shodanrob.

Date: October 07, 2015 07:49PM

Okay last question:

How old are you?

I need to know how much time we have left...

Date: October 07, 2015 08:53PM

In my 40s. Better get caught up on your tithes and offerings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2015 08:54PM by shodanrob.

Posted by: tiredoflies ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 02:45PM

What's weird is that the only people I am aware of whose patriarchal blessing says they'll live 'til the second coming have all left the church making them not worthy to be there. It's only two people, but still, I thought it was odd.

Mine says I'll have "children from my loin." Guess what, I'm infertile and we adopted a child. No difference to me, but the "blessing" missed the mark by a few million sperm.

Posted by: Kari ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 04:06PM

Mine said I would be a high priestess in Heaven. It said in this life I would marrya wonderful man and have many children. Guess what. The only Prince Charmings I came across turned out to be TOADS and I was never had a child. Not that I didn't want children - it just never happened.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 06:04PM

One of my great grandmothers was told that she would live to see Jesus. Her family found that prediction odd, as she later went blind. But one day when she was old, she came stumbling out of the house onto the porch and exclaimed," I saw him, I saw the Lord." At this point she tripped and pitched headlong into the flower garden, her head fatally colliding with a decorative stone. The rock left a wound in the shape of a cross on her inanimate forehead, and the whole damn clan gathered over her corpse and geeshed. It was a miracle my father bored me with a century later.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 07:51PM

By that standard, Red Foxx saw the Lord several times on Sanford & Son ...

Date: October 07, 2015 07:52PM

Seriously Don? That's insane.

Obviously this was well before the cross was banned by leaders of the church. Otherwise I would expect an Angel Moroni wound on her forehead.

Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 07:55PM

I'm too busy to try to find the record now, but my mother's PB said she would usher in the Morning of the first resurrection. She died in 1991.... Either the morning of the first resurrection is already happening, or she wasn't righteous enough!

Posted by: cognitivedissonance ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 08:54PM

my PB says I will witness the calamities and destructions. Afterwards I'll see the return of the "lost" ten tribes. When they come back, I'll help them with their temple work.

I knew my PB was wading in murky water when the Patriarch said "Pattern your life after your noble father..." I guess he meant between the beatings.

A "Double Bind", "This blessing is predicated upon your faithfulness and obedience." Which means basically, if my PB doesn't come to pass, it's my own damn fault.

And another "Double Bind", "This patriarchal blessing will unfold in your life and will depend fully upon your faithfulness, willingness and your obedience."

And another "Double Bind", "According to your faithfulness you will be able to trace your lineage back through noble parents to those prophets of old. Do everything that you can to keep this lineage clean and pure." I wondered, how will I keep the lineage pure and clean, those people are all dead!

and it continues like this all through the PB. The Ownership for all of this is on Me! If it fails it's on me.

So... My PB will never come to pass and I will never be faithful nor obedient enough to make it come to pass. What a freaking racket.

Time for another beer.

Posted by: mahana ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 09:24PM

When I brought up the numerous past dates that have been given with my tbm sibling I got the typical response from a round a mental gymnastics..

Apparently the second coming was "supposed" to come on the specified dates. But the people of the world were not ready at that time so god pushed the dates back. OR There were too many righteous people & so god needed to wait until there were more wicked people.

Posted by: Anon this time ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 09:49PM

my father, who is in his seventies has told me multiple times that his grandmother's patriarchal blessing said that she would live to see the second coming.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: October 07, 2015 11:32PM

my blessing says that the second coming will happen "while you are still young" which could be nearly any age lol.

my mother told me in middle school that i wouldn't make it to college before Jesus came again. used to scare me to death.

when my oldest was born she told me that my child wouldn't make it to college before Jesus came again. we running out of time really quick, Jesus better haul ass!!

Posted by: Newly Released ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 02:06AM

My former seminary teacher's wife always talked about how her PB said she'd see Jesus in her lifetime. She joked that it meant she'd live a long time. That family....after about 15 years now...is still crazy TBM.

I wonder how she feels now. She is getting much older and Jesus has yet to come!! :) I wonder what kind of excuse she will use to rationalize this, as I'm certain this family will never leave Mormonism.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 05:29PM

If you still have access to ldsdotorg you can lookup the PB of your deceased ancestors like parents grandparents and get a pdfcopy from it and your own PB.

Date: October 09, 2015 10:47AM

Yeah, they want my phone number. I'll pass.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 12:43AM

Jesus has arrived. He has a kiosk inside the city creek center.

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 11:21AM

My body will not lie in mother earth, but will be changed in a twinkling of an eye. I think I was a twinkle in my father's eye and that's it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.