Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sonofperdition ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 01:47AM

I'm from Provo and went to school with kids from the Durrant family. They are good people who are unfortunately brainwashed once like we were. Granted the use of the word and talk was used for financial gain, but I feel they learned their lesson. I feel sorry for the family and what they are going through. Give 'em a break.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 02:13AM

Really? He tried to plagiarize someone else's work and program and then to profit off it? http://www.bookdepository.com/Think-on-These-Things-Rev-David-E-Morrison/9781494808785

No! We can no longer make excuses for individuals who keep resorting over and over to typical Scam, MLM, Conman mentality.

Of course they're "nice" that's part of the conman's personality and toolbox. Make money off the rest of the sheep herd; Remember the fiasco of "The Testimony Gloves"; author made bank off that crap. http://testimonygloves.blogspot.com/

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 02:13AM

what exactly are they going through? harsh words being directed at them?

Its nothing less than what anyone else goes through for doing something stupid, hopefully they learned something

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 02:43AM

And brother Joseph too!

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 10:26AM

Hell, give ol' Beelzebub a break, too, while you're at it.

You'd be irritable if you had to work and live in a hostile environment like Hades.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 10:30AM

Devin Durrant sure had a good bank shot back in the day...that's what he needs to be teaching.

Date: October 08, 2015 02:45AM

I don't think they are conmen. I feel they are brainwashed. Unfortunately, Mormonism and making money scams go hand in hand. Cult members and even former cult members are very susceptible to get rich quick schemes.

I see your point dydimus. For the sake of the falling of the church, this financial scheme of the durrant kid should be exposed. I'll even retract my statement. It should be exposed.

But at they same time I have sympathy for the people while exposing them. I have a lot of sympathy for family and friends in the cult right now. I want to get them out so bad. I know they are brainwashed. I feel like on RFM we are quick to forget that we once behaved and did things like these cult members are doing. I can't blame anyone for bashing and being down right pissed off at these members in the cult. Now that we aren't brainwashed anymore, we see their behavior and cringe at how horrible their thinking is and their actions are. But I feel like we should have some sympathy for them at the same time.

Date: October 08, 2015 02:46AM

Joe was a conman. I feel most members really believe it is all true.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 10:06AM

You can be brainwashed AND a conman. They don't cancel each other out. Two for the price of one.

The Durrants are responsible for the reactions that their actions brought on them. That's the way it works, even if you are nice sometimes.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 02:58AM

Sympathy for who? Father? Son who set up the marketing of someone else's brainchild?

I mean even Bernie Madoff's sons had to turn him over, so they deserve the sympathy...So we know father Durrant knew about his son setting up the merchandising, Durrant knew he had a captive audience and used the word "Pronderize" 19 times in a 3 minute talk. Who needs the sympathy? Why?

The real shame is that the only reason this family is facing humiliation is that they didn't go through Mormonco! If they would of gone through the "Proper" corporate channels like the rest of the leaders do; meaning--through Deseret books to sell their merchandising and books deals; no Mormon member would of been offended or even thought about it as they offered up their credit card #'s and sent in their checks.

So yes, I agree, the Durrants were living by what they assumed was proper Mormon protocol; i.e. the Mormon preppers that sell years supplies or sell elf on the shelf crap; So the Durrants deserve the understanding.

But, just because they didn't play by the Mormonco rules and got caught on plagiarism and priestcraft and crass behavior by using G.C. as their own personal "Timeshare" promo... Well, they don't deserve all of the shame and blame. They're doing what they were taught and what Mormonco and the MLM conmen in Utah all do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2015 09:35AM by dydimus.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 08:07AM

Not a chance!

They can ponderize this.

Posted by: Ladedah ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 08:15AM

Are they really suffering because a few grumpy exmos are posting about how greedy and creepy it was to try and sell product from a religious meeting? Or are even TBMs grumping about it? It will be forgotten tomorrow. I thought they would be unconcerned by the hubbub. Color me surprised.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 08:40AM

If Joseph Myth were here I'd give him a break...arm, leg, neck, nose, and/or his little factory (which seemed to be in state of constant erection).

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 09:31AM

People who do rotten things intentionally aren't "good people." "Good people" don't do rotten things. That's part of the definition of being a "good person."

If I do something rotten, that makes me NOT a "good person."
Same thing here.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 09:35AM

What a way to show that you really don't believe in the lds church, you are just there for the attention and now money.

When I was mormon, I would have never even thought of doing something like this. I thought your beliefs and something I gave a talk about in church was not something for public consumption. This just told me this guy didn't believe in what he was saying, he just saw an opportunity for gain. Worst kind of hypocrite.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 10:16AM

Exactly. He is an opportunist whose first inclination was to promote and make a buck - regardless of it being related to religion.

This tells me that many really do see the church as a business opportunity. It's bad enough that when a GA puts out new book, all the lemmings buy it. It's the fact that they are exploiting the sheep who are taught to revere and obey that is disturbing.

If religions are going to be mini advertising agencies, book and merchandise promoters, complete with a force of salesmen, I say tax the h3ll out of them.

Hypocrites.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 10:41AM

When all this came up, it reminded me of Hinkley's 6 B's. As others have noted, new buzz words & phrases get picked up by Deseret book. It also leads to a lot of crafty ideas.

I also thought of all the crafts in YW or RS. I would have expected a lot of girl's camp shirts with the ponderize theme next summer. It may still happen, but they will have to be careful with trademark issues.

BTW, I also knew Durrant. Served in the same mission.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: October 08, 2015 11:41AM

Give’em a Break™

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.