Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elaryn ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 04:19AM

Not too long ago, I posted here about my investigation of the Mormon Church. I stopped investigationg, but I just thought I'd share an observation. Now, is it just ME, or do the missionaries sort of drop like mayflies?

For instance...I first met online with 2 sister missiponaries from the MTC in Provo. One was older and married - part-time, and the other was younger and single. The older lady was replaced with another, younger lady, but then, I received a message from the replacement that she was going home and would no longer be a missionary. *poof!*

When I first went to the local church, there were two male missionaries, one of whom looked to be 12. The kid shipped out. He was replaced by another missionary from somewhere in the S. Pacific islands. Both the original elder and the new guy were with us about a month, then *poof!*

Was it something I said? Seriously, what goes on here?

I went back to our local parish. Having a great time and a spaghetti dinner on Saturday. Oh, and the parish priest discussed the parish finances with the parisioners. Ah, transparency!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 05:59AM

Naw, probably just being out-of-touch young kids with poor communications and social skills. And they are not in the business so much to convert you as they are to indoctrinate themselves. Probably can't keep their minds on their stuff.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 12:49PM

More than they would probably like to admit go home before their time is up. But there is a stigma to early return--even if it is for perfectly legitimate reasons like health concerns.

LDS missionaries are also transferred to new areas every few months as well. Depending on what's needed in the mission, a person might be in an area only a month and transferred, but that's an unusually short stint. I was generally in an area 3-6 months before moving on.

I would guess that what you are witnessing might be a combination of those factors.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 01:07PM

Most likely being transferred around. Happens regularly. The sister online was probably done doing her time and it was time to go home.

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 10:41PM

^this

Some missionaries stay in an area for 6 to 9 weeks. I remember when I was a missionary that a member said she just called us all elder because we switched out every few months and it wasn't worth remembering our names. Sure made me feel special.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 11:15PM

GD humans can be mean.
What a dumb thing to say.
I mean, I get being honest, to a fault, but you wouldn't just go and tell a mother her baby was butt ugly, even if that's the first thing that popped into your head when you saw it, would you?

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 01:09PM

I wonder if sometimes they are getting transferred around so much because the MP doesn't want them getting comfortable in one area and slack off. Being jolted and moving around keeps one on edge and that's what they are going for?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 01:23PM

poopstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if sometimes they are getting transferred
> around so much because the MP doesn't want them
> getting comfortable in one area and slack off.
> Being jolted and moving around keeps one on edge
> and that's what they are going for?

That's one reason.
Another is so that they don't get too "friendly" with the locals -- especially the local girls.
In business or in most "pastoral" religious situations, putting one person in one place for a long time lets them develop local relationships and resources, and makes them better at what they do. In mormonism, that makes a missionary too friendly and comfortable with the locals -- so off they go, because having real relationships (working or other) with real people is a big no-no on a mission.

I was in one city on my mission for 3 months. We had some contacts that were interested, and close to baptism. We were working well with the small local branch. Then I got the transfer call. I offered a little bit of resistance -- telling the AP that I was close to baptizing a couple, and I wanted to see it through, and I had a great relationship with the branch president...so could I possibly stay another few months?
"Can't have you getting too comfortable," he replied. "You can start fresh in your new city."
Sigh.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 01:10PM

Hundreds of elders and sisters go home "early" every month.
Many don't even know why they are there.

Whatever you are looking for you will not find in the Mormon "church"... unless you are looking for false teachings, evil doing, idol worship, ego-maniacs and/ or lost souls, searching in vain.

Stay with the truth... and be happy.

Posted by: elaryn ( )
Date: October 12, 2015 01:08PM

You betch we will!

After my last chat with the local sisters, my husband and I went to the Vigil Mass (Saturday afternoon) at our parish. It was inspiring snd beautiful and actually FELT like a church service instead of some corporate meeting. It was actually refreshing, and NO ONE mentioned tithing. :D

My sociological study is at an end.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 01:16PM

The leaders are constantly shuffling missionaries around for one reason or another. Probably the main reason is that the two-year hitch for some missionaries is over. New ones replace them, but inexperienced ones are paired up with more experienced ones, so it's not always a straight swap.

The other main reason is that a mission president imagines he can shake things up, remix the missionary pairs and somehow get better results, find some magic, "inspired" combination. My mission president (a total jerk) got the bright idea to reshuffle ALL the pairings. Not just new companions for everyone, but new areas. One week half the missionaries were moved to different areas and the next week the other half were moved. It was chaos and accomplished nothing positive.

A third reason is that there's trouble somewhere. A missionary pair fights (sometimes physically), or a missionary is getting involved with someone, maybe someone ran away or did something that resulted in excommunication. It's not always the one who disappears who's the problem. Sometimes that missionary is shifted to fill a hole left by the troublemaker. It can be a chain reaction. I was once transferred to fill the spot of a missionary who ran away. Of course, then someone had to be sent in to fill my former spot.

Posted by: cognitivedissonance ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 08:37PM

The TSCC lowered the ages because indoctrination is more successful the younger you are. The TSCC ships you out, into the world and away from your parents and friends. The children are completely locked in, they get praise after a good pavlovien job.

If they can't comply they *POOF*, get sent home to Mommy and Daddy.

I knew one of the Teacher aged kids in my ward as just a typically normal boy. At 17 1/2 he was called on a mission he was ecstatic about serving. He was dropped off after his 18th Birthday at the MTC. He said his good-byes and off he went.

Three days later, he was sent home with horrible anxiety issues. Nobody saw it coming. The poor kid is now so traumatized he can't function in the ward he came from. They (including his parents) didn't know there was anything wrong with him.

Excuse me??? what's wrong with him?? he's a normal boy and always has been!! Doing something you don't believe and feel uncomfortable doing will create anxiety for anyone. In my view there is NOTHING wrong with him yet his ward judges him as an abnormal who can't cope.

That's the biggest issue I have with the Church, everyone who gets on the train will become a rubber stamp clone when they get off. That is, unless they stop the train to kick you off.

That's what really bothers me about TSCC. you can't be normal unless you are totally brainwashed. I was a fence sitter most of my life but still had to deal with the labels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2015 08:42PM by cognitivedissonance.

Date: October 09, 2015 10:01PM

Here's Mormons disappearing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIByyjKBLKA
Here's more threatening to call the Latter Day Danite goon sqaud on me in Mormon Disneyland after lying to defend Joseph's Myth screwing teenagers and other men's wives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXW-CHtD07g

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2015 10:11PM by koriwhore.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 11:15PM

I think of the whole LDS missionary program and I can't help but think.....

20th Century.

Other than trying to solidify young people in the LDS faith, does it do any good, does it really produce a significant amount of converts for all of it's efforts...?

Date: October 09, 2015 11:43PM

what has been the result of the prophecy of "The stone rolling forth from the mountains and growing until it fills the whole Earth and touches every corner of the Earth, paving the way for the 2nd Coming of Jesus, Zion?

"4.5 million Mormon regularly attend church meetings."

.06% of the World's population is singing the praises of Joseph's Myth every Sunday.

meaning, for every 1,000 people, .6 attend Mormon church regularly. or for every 1,555 people, there's one active Mormon.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifestyle/57369318-80/church-percent-lds-growth.html.csp

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2015 02:01AM by koriwhore.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 11:47PM

Missionaries don't stay in one area throughout their entire missions. They transfer them around all throughout their mission area.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.