Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 09, 2015 07:00PM

Following up Going Clear, Showtime is premiering Prophet's Prey tomorrow night.

Set the DVR people!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Not logged in kj ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 07:34AM

DVR set

Thanks for the reminder.

KJ

Date: October 11, 2015 12:02AM

I watched this tonight with my wife and she was floored. The connection with the LDS church were obvious and the ones that she noted the most were the references to being obedient to priesthood leaders.

Why? That's all LDS prophets and other leaders are talking about lately.

There was a graphic that showed the priesthood line of authority from Joseph Smith to Warren Jeffs. That blew her away too. It gave me an opportunity to tell her about John Taylor and the purported visit by Jesus Christ in 1886 where a certain family was commanded to keep the principle of plural marriage going.

See detail here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1886_Revelation

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 08:25AM

Polygamy documentaries and shows are my bread and butter. Thanks for the reminder!!

Posted by: Not logged in kj again ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 12:44PM

Watched Prophet's Prey

It's frightening to see how much power Warren Jeffs has over his 10,000 followers. His brother Lyle carries on as Warren instructs him.
Warren belongs in prison.....he's dangerous.
But even in prison he remains dangerous to those who do as he says.

The documentary was definitely worth watching.

Jon Krakauer, Sam Brower investigated and reported.
Ron Howard was one of the executive producers & also Dustin Lance Black (exmo).

I was pleasantly surprised to hear them say that Joseph was arrested for treason.

The control & money & polygamy etc of this cult is a reminder of following any prophet/profit.

The O rings made by one of the companies owned & operated by FLDS were investigated as a cause for the explosion of the Challenger in 1986. Proven? or Not?

The FLDS is a very wealthy cult.

But the followers have nothing much....some houses.....
IF they are in good favor with the Prophet. They work for the cult & are not paid.

It's sad & sickening.........

Apostates are kicked out of the family & not allowed to see their parents, sibs or their children.

Warren's sister, his brother & a nephew are survivors of the cult. They knew Warren was mentally ill & a predator. He is possibly the murderer of his own Father.

I plan to watch it again........

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 01:45PM

I thought the o-rings on the Challenger had been manufactured by the Apostolic United Brethern.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 05:20PM

No. It was the company of Elissa Wall's and Rebecca Musser's father. He was FLDS. Musser talks about it in her book. I can't remember whether Wall does.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 01:28PM

It really creeped me out to hear Warren speaking. The Utah accent, the phrasing, the almost whisper, all of that was exactly what we heard last week from LDS leaders at General Conference. The message was also frighteningly familiar- obey, obey, obey. I don't agree with the program that Warren is crazy, I think he's just evil through and through.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 02:12PM

It's good to see prominent journalists and producers exposing these cults. It won't be much longer until the cojcolds is fully exposed. The cojcolds is insidious and has somewhat managed to stay under the radar.

Posted by: Trailsend ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 03:24PM

Words can hardly express the depth of the mind screw that is flds..so much more thorough and biting than the lds church..so much more devastating for its rejection...so much more controlling and ugly in dispensing its sordid justice to family...oh yes..there are varying levels of apeshit in various splinters from lds to the deep dark loathsome of the lebarons or kingstons..ive lived three of them as a helpless naive dupe of my parents and trusted leaders....jeffs is a rank amateur of crazy compared to the depravity of erval lebaron...but im sure hell hone the skill required to get to the pros if he lives long enough...ive never been able to figure out a rating system for apeshit...but basically they all meet the definition...the wounded and collateral damage lay in its wake like the invasion of normandy...and held in about the same regard usually...just a bunch of grunts who hardly had a choice to be there...source...been there...threw away the t shirt...gawd gave a man two heads and only enough blood to run one at a time...so much may have been altered if theyd just knocked the nuts outta that joker so many years ago...give him a break...my ass..yeah...i may be a little bitter yet..but time heals the deepest wounds..scars you can live with

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 03:39PM

Its a great documentary.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 03:51PM

I thought the cold temp's were outside of operating parameters for the O rings, but the NASA higher-ups were tired of delays and ordered Challenger's launch, so I think the manufacturer was off the hook.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 05:21PM

I think that they said the specs were wrong, so it wasn't the manufacturer's fault. I saw Prophet's Prey awhile back, so I can't remember whether that is in the film or whether I read it somewhere else.

Posted by: SaintsGoMaRcHing ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 10:24PM

A class I recently took spent a few days on this topic and the disaster was the fault of the managers at the company, according to the info we read in class (results of the investigation and the one whistleblower who pointed out the investigators wanted to ignore reality). The managers overruled the engineers who insisted the shuttle not be launched in cold temperatures. Makes me wonder, after reading this thread, if there was an FLDS manager.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 07:06PM

It kind of blew me away. So many things I didn't know. But it hit close to home in so many ways. Especially the focus on exact obedience and on not reading or listening to anything (about religion) that doesn't come from the prophet/church.

We get so far past it that we can't imagine that we ever believed stuff that we see now is absolute nonsense. And we shake our heads that seemingly intelligent people still buy into it. This documentary addressed the cultural identity of it, especially when all generations living have been born into that culture.

And they stressed the phenomenon of how as people start abandoning the religion and they are former stalwart members, it reinforces their fear that Satan is working on them and the ones who need to still believe dig in deeper. I didn't have to be FLDS to feel like I had been there. Sort of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2015 07:08PM by NormaRae.

Date: October 12, 2015 06:49PM

Warren is such a polygamist stud compared to Joseph. Don't believe it? See this for a side by side comparison:

http://futuremissionary.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/img_51943351293a2.png

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: October 13, 2015 09:17AM

The pic of JS is not even close to his real life looks.

He looks like he has a normal chin there.

Posted by: Trailsend ( )
Date: October 12, 2015 09:58PM

Yes indeed...Ichabod Crane makes joey look like a real punk...but he does owe his start to joey...you just cant fix stupid

Posted by: greengooblygook ( )
Date: October 13, 2015 04:10PM

Need to watch it again and let it sink in. There no talk on face book of this movie. I posted it. Good fuck in movie! Also there no mention how they hat tscc TBM members and how they are the Devils and how they hate the black tbms too.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 13, 2015 06:48PM

I saw most of it.

WJ: "I'm your prophet."
later from prison, "I never was a prophet."
when his followers stood by him, "That was a test. I'm your prophet."

What BS! And how sad for his followers!

(Same goes for JS, btw)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.