Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 03:22PM

I recall a time some years ago when the mishies still had me on their drop by list. I'd politely tell them no thanks. Well one month, I had enough, so I was very clear with two sisters. I told them I did not want them or any other representative/member to stop by. One of the sister missionaries got very red in the face, placed her hands on her hips, wagged a finger in my face and then told me that I should ask to be disfellowshipped, and she dramatically turned around and stomped her feet on my doorstep. I told her I didn't appreciate the drama, and she screamed at me as her comp pulled her back up the driveway. I don't think she liked it too well when I laughed.

So questions - is it me, or was that not a very Christlike thing for her to do? I remember having my butt grabbed on a bus during my mission and never behaving half as ungraciously as this girl. I am feeling like she didn't have my soul's welfare in mind.

Also, if I told her I no longer believed and didn't want any visits, why would she think I'd ask to be disfellowshipped? Do non TBMs seek the recorded disapproval of TSCC?

Missionaries, I think, are under too much pressure to produce. The sisters may have had a good feeling (from the HG) when they chose my door, so clearly, I must be a servant of stan if I refused to talk to them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xe ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 03:26PM

Man, there are way too many examples.

I think the biggest thing that stuck with me was when another teenager at Church (during a lesson) listed "adoption" as being something that's against God's commandment to "multiply and replenish the Earth." I'm adopted myself, so I was pretty angry. It still makes me mad to this day, tbh. I wish I would've stood up and said something. What a stupid, insensitive thing to say.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 03:28PM

... everthing else was a little lower-brow than that.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 03:33PM

... "Seeing as all those that die before the age of accountability are saved in Gawd's kingdom and seeing as my duty as a Father is to give my children the greatest chance of returning to Him, the best chance I can give them is to off them."

This was said in a very serious tone.

The ideas expressed in this post are not those of the poster!!!

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 06:52PM

What!?!?!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 07:01PM

weeder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... "Seeing as all those that die before the age
> of accountability are saved in Gawd's kingdom and
> seeing as my duty as a Father is to give my
> children the greatest chance of returning to Him,
> the best chance I can give them is to off them."
>
> This was said in a very serious tone.
>
> The ideas expressed in this post are not those of
> the poster!!!

My very TBM ex said the same thing, but jokingly. However what
bothered me at the time was that the logic is impeccible. In
the Mormon scheme of things offing your children before they
reach the age of eight would be the most selfless, loving act
you could perform for them.

I was reminded of this when this happened:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Yates

"She told her jail psychiatrist: "It was the seventh deadly
sin. My children weren't righteous. They stumbled because I was
evil. The way I was raising them, they could never be saved.
They were doomed to perish in the fires of hell.". . .

"It has also been speculated by various religious and secular
groups that her religious position and background had
influenced her decision to end the lives of her children, the
logic being that she would make the ultimate parental
sacrifice, sealing the fate of her eternal soul but
guaranteeing that her children would enter heaven."

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 03:31PM

At my father's funeral my mom's insane best friend said she was looking forward to being my "other mother" in the Celestial Kingdom when she's gets sealed to my dad.

Posted by: fortheloveofhops ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 03:40PM

There was one guy on my porch that told me in a very sneering tone that "Once you're on the church rolls, you're a member for eternity."

I wish he could hear the crazy that was coming from him. He was totally oblivious to the fact that it really isn't acceptable or appropriate behavior to stalk strangers and basically tell them that his organization plans to hold their soul captive for eternity.

I think he was a member on splits with a missinary. The mish looked very uncomfortable with that guy.

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 04:54PM

As far as outrageous goes, I think this one qualifies:

About 20 years ago I was newly out of TSCC and dating a New-Age Narcissist (let's call him NAN for short), who didn't comprehend the meaning of the word 'privacy'. NAN's parents were jack mo and he wasn't even that, which at first I thought was ideal - except for when I slowly began to find out he stood for little to nothing at all except what was easiest and least troublesome for him. One night protection failed and a pregnancy resulted. I was terrified. It made me realize two things: I didn't want to be with NAN after all, and I didn't want to be a mother - ever.

Without telling me, NAN confided in his convert TBM coworker about our having scheduled an abortion because he was feeling some angst on that particular day. This coworker was someone I knew only on the most casual, flimsy basis; I'd said hello in very brief encounters, had even been asked by her the dreaded 'so, are you a member of the church?' to which I'd replied 'not anymore'. She didn't have much to say to me after that, but worked in NAN'S department several floors from mine and I knew they got along reasonably well. She was at least 10+ years older than me. After NAN told her our secret, she used my then-last name to call around and finally hit paydirt when she reached my father, asking if there was a "Anon4this" living there.

When my father said yes but that I wasn't home, and asked if she wanted to leave a message, she said no - but that she was just so very concerned about a terrible thing I was about to do. Then this self-righteous twit told my father I was going to have an abortion, and gave him the date and location.

To this day, I am profoundly grateful my father was the one who answered the phone and not my mother. While my father was no longer TBM he was still worried about me. He told the anonymous caller what she was doing was extremely offensive, and that if she ever called back he would report her to the police. He then waited until I got home from work to talk to me alone. There were many tears. As I was legally an adult and paying them full rent to live at home, my father didn't see how he could tell me what to do. He was very sad and conflicted but mainly wanted to support me in whatever I decided.

We briefly discussed adoption but I told my father I didn't feel psychologically capable of doing any of what would be required, particularly coping with the medical risks associated with pregnancy and birth and the emotional uncertainties of being able to go through with it after giving birth.

My father knew that my TBM mother would have nothing less than an apocalyptic meltdown if she were made aware, and since they were already having serious marital issues I didn't want to put something else in the mix. He agreed that it would be pointless and unkind for her to be told anything, particularly as I'd originally made my choice without wanting to tell or involve either one of them, I had been financially responsible for myself as an adult, and that my privacy had just been invaded in a particularly vicious manner.

After talking to my father, and before the abortion, I laid into NAN about the anonymous call my father had gotten. I'd told exactly one person about my upcoming abortion - my best friend from childhood who was also no longer religious, and whom I trusted with my life (she is still my best friend). NAN sheepishly admitted that he'd confided in one coworker. I disbelievingly told him "You are aware, aren't you, that she somewhat recently converted to the mormon church and that everyone in your department finds her preachy and annoying?!?!?" He said he supposed so - but then said he was feeling sad and she'd always been "so nice" to him.

In the end, I had the abortion and dumped NAN for having betrayed my trust so casually. My life went on and I got another job soon afterward in order to get a fresh start. Before leaving, I confronted the TBM asshole who put on a very thin show of smirking innocence. I told her that if I ever caught her meddling in my private affairs again I'd sue her so fast her head would spin.

At the time, I was still naive enough not to realize I probably could have successfully gotten her fired had I reported her to HR or filed a formal complaint - especially given that NAN admitted to telling her. Lucky for her I was a relatively naive young adult who just wanted to leave it all behind me.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 05:13PM

Anon4this: wow, you win :)

I'm glad this is all now well in the past. Bet you are too.

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 05:23PM

Yep - doing great, living well, feeling lucky ;-)

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 05:04PM

Mormonism causes, if not encourages - childlike - not Christlike - behavior.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 05:06PM

Holly was in my seminary class in Oregon. I no longer believed any of it, but my father gave me a ride to town every morning for school, provided I attend seminary class. Holly stood up from her desk one day and said, "Scientists are stupid. They say monkeys turn into people, but monkeys stay monkeys until they die. Scientists are stupid." Then she plopped into her seat triumphantly, having edified her peers.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 07:52PM

but after re-reading I realized it was not intestinal but mental diarrhea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2015 07:52PM by Bruce A Holt.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 05:09PM

Of course it's not a very Christlike thing for her to do:

http://biblehub.com/matthew/10-14.htm

But then there's no reason LDS should do Christlike things, any more than Islam should do Jewish things. They are separate religions.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 05:13PM

A sister missionary from my mission who went home a year ahead of me asked me to marry her, because she'd had a revelation that she would be married before the month was over.

I had not been cc'd on that revelation so I said no.

The revelation was not fulfilled.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 05:25PM

Said I should listen to the Holland talk the other day!

HA

There are certainly hundreds of others, to be sure, but this is recent.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 05:40PM

After running the gauntlet of Pre-Mission interviews and having already sent my papers in for some reason i found myself in front of the Stake President for a final interview.

We met outside his office in the hall at the Stake Center and exchanged pleasantries. He ushered me into his office.

He motioned me to sit down...and after he sat down at his faux walnut desk across from me the first words out of his mouth were...

"So Elder...when was the last time you masturbated this week?"

If i knew then what i know now i would have made every attempt to flip his desk up over and on top of him in an effort to amputate his legs and leave him bleeding there alone on the orange Stake Center carpet.

That was 3 and a half decades ago. Sometimes it seems like it just happened recently.

I am still so personally insulted and angry every time i think about that interview and how the Church has gotten away with perpetrating their psycho-sexual abuse on unsuspecting little boys and girls and adolescents and young adults throughout their history.

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 06:40PM

told me that the reason my gay husband was cheating on me is because I hadn't given him enough sex.

My mother's (deceased) best friend had some severe health problems recently. In order to find out where she lives and to be able to visit with her, I e-mailed her daughter who is 1 year old than I am. We knew each other quite well when we were younger, but haven't had anything to do with each other for 40 years or so. She found out I have resigned from the LDS church just last week. She sent one of the most ridiculous letters I've ever seen, calling me to come back into the light, to read the book of mormon with purpose. I showed it to my very TBM best friend and she thought it was SO HORRIBLE that this woman had done this to me. This just happened on Saturday.

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 06:51PM

I was visited by 2 girls when I was very involved in my own cultish group, so I was trying to convert them as they were trying to convert me, Lol. But I remember them telling me that I was " a good person" and I would go to heaven, but there was "more". From what I've read I think that meant I'd be with Jesus, but not have the " better" tier of heaven? I just thought it was pretty amusing at the time.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 07:55PM

"The Church is true."

Completely outrageous. :)

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 10:52PM

+1

I was going to say something along these lines. Specifically "knowing" that the church is true. They "know" for a fact, do they? Hmph. You can't "know" something based purely on feeling, mmkay?

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 11:05PM

Also "you'll never be tested beyond what you can bear."

Always hated that lie. So I guess people who commit suicide could really bear more and just "decided" not to? Or maybe they're too far astray so God's rules don't apply to them?

Posted by: crowbone ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 08:42PM

Unsure if I wanted to go on a mission, a just-returned missionary told me that if I don't go, I won't make it to the CK, and if I don't make it to the CK, I won't get to keep my penis when I die.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 08:58PM

By a former friend who claimed she had visions about walking back to Nauvoo with her children at the 2nd coming. "I have had visions about a lot of my family and friends and who is going to be saved to go on this long walk with me..."

To which she looked at me and said, "No, you wont be there."

By my ex husband who told me he hated being married to a worthless woman. "I will still call you into heaven."

I thought, "Kicking and screaming blasphemy?"

RMM

Posted by: Anonandon ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 09:01PM

I don't know if I can come up with a single quote, but back before I really knew much about Mormonism, I said something about reincarnation to one of its adherents, and he seemed pretty insistent it wasn't part of his religion. Sadly, at the time, I didn't know to say, "So you're not a reincarnated spirit baby from a star near Kolob?" *sigh*

Posted by: Anonandon ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 09:05PM

(Or a planet near Kolob, either.)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 09:04PM

My mission president lied to my parents, then lied to me about lying to my parents.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 09:11PM

A very TBM woman I know confided in me that she and her husband were so worried about their daughter who had "strayed" not being with them in the CK. My thought was "you presume a lot don't you?"

RB|

Posted by: templenamegabriel ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 11:09PM

After two of our babies died several family members asked me if I thought God did it to bring my less-active wife back to church.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 11:37PM

That beyond sick and twisted and close to pure evil....condolences on your loss.

RB

Posted by: finallygetsit ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 11:26PM

Wow! So many stories! (And some are really horrible & heartbreaking!)

Mine's not grandiose, but it's certainly outrageous...

(I was also a TBM at the time.) A friend had asked me to recommend a movie to watch - and I had recently enjoyed watching "My Cousin Vinny." Her husband called me after they started watching the movie to yell at me for recommending such a "dirty, vile, profane movie." And, "how DARE" I corrupt them with such an evil thing.

I was suitably chastised (and extremely embarrassed).
To be honest, yes, I had noticed the swearing in the movie as I first watched it - but the movie was so hilarious that I had completely forgotten about it.

I apologized and figured that would be the end of it.

I was wrong.

Soon after that, there was some sort of ward activity, and I was holding a baby that belonged to another friend. This "man" strode up to me and snatched the baby from my arms (not HIS baby, mind you), and loudly declared to the child's mother, and in front of everyone that I should never be allowed to hold babies because I was evil & watched R rated movies. He ranted on... I don't remember everything he said, but I was thoroughly humiliated.

This was a very long time ago. Even as a TBM, I couldn't imagine treating someone that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2015 11:28PM by finallygetsit.

Posted by: cakeordeath ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 11:33PM

"She'll leave you and divorce you because you are not honoring your priesthood, Brother Cake. Mark my words. I have met the Apostle Jeffery Holland and I know him to be a man of Gawd". - Former Bishop, whom after uttering those asinine words, I told him he could take his intellectual and so-called spiritual knowledge of Mormonism and shove them up his California-sized anus where they could remain with the rest of his shit.

His wife passed away a few year later and I saw him at a local county fair. He was different. He wasn't LDS anymore, I could tell because of his tank-top shirt and un-godly short shorts and tube socks and sandals. Mid-70's, and dressed like a misguided red-neck teenager on vacation without his parents around and high as hell on freedom.

I looked away in order to keep my county fair hot dog down. I swear to Jeebus. In the name of Cheese and Crakkers, amen.

Cake

BTW, the missus never left me. She's getting a tattoo on her birthday instead. I stupidly asked why the tattoo?.

"It's like giving the finger to all of my influences that have tried to bring my ass down all of these years, including my parents, siblings, friends, enemies, and more importantly, MYSELF".

Posted by: ExCentric (Not Logged In) ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 11:39PM

My spouse's TBM parents forced the conversation regarding our disbelief in the church. We were getting verbally attacked, but were holding back. Then after telling us how we will end up divorced and on drugs now that we don't believe, they proceeded to inform us that our two young children will grow up to be gay because that is a "lifestyle that you're permissive of!" I was flabbergasted by their ignorance and we immediately insisted that's not true since there is a biological basis. In retrospect I should have shouted, "Good! I'd be proud to have a gay child!!!"

Such ignorant bullshit that gets me all riled up!

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: October 15, 2015 12:01AM

The bishop had a revelation and declared to the congregation that anyone who filed bankruptcy will not enter the celestial kingdom. He was a banker.

My sister in law called me from the only true time zone and woke me up (6:00 AM California). I hadn't been in an LDS church in at least five years. She proceeded to tell me how I feel about the church, "I know you're confused about your feelings about the church..." I informed her that I was not confused.

She also would repeat Mormon folklore about not buying TIDE because the moon and stars symbol was a sign of the devil... The devil sure gets my clothes clean and fresh smelling!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.