Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: flea ( )
Date: October 28, 2023 03:42PM

Goofy Rodeo Clown "Jesus Salesman" Glenn Beck is apparently an active morgbot. How come noone has "snapped" a photo of him or his security detail at church? My friend who is a TBM prepper cog dissonancementality claims Goofy Rodeo Clown Glenn Beck is extremely active and a home teacher and has a calling of gospel doctrine teacher. I find it hard to believe. These morgbot celebs have a different MO then the cattle herd at church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 29, 2023 07:38PM

flea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Goofy Rodeo Clown "Jesus Salesman" Glenn Beck is
> apparently an active morgbot. ...Glenn
> Beck is extremely active and a home teacher and
> has a calling of gospel doctrine teacher.

Yes, Mormon – at least he was in 2019 when this was aired:

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/culture/story/journeys-faith-paula-faris-glenn-beck-mormon-faith-63341070

“In this episode, we explore Beck's personal evolution, what Billy Graham once told him about the Mormon church, and why you'll find Beck and his family cleaning bathrooms on Saturdays.”

That made me laugh – cleaning bathrooms on Saturdays. What a draw for prospective converts. Not!

But I haven’t listened to the episode. There’s a limit to self-inflicted pain that I want to expose myself to.

I was surprised to read that Billy Graham acknowledged that Mormons are Christian. I haven't heard such an admission at any Christian church I've attended - in fact, the opposite: "Mormons aren't Christian". (I don't mean that is preached in church - at least I've never heard it - but individual Christians I know hold that view).

The excerpts below illustrate what I'm used to hearing from Christians about Mormons.

https://www.deseret.com/2018/3/5/20641109/when-billy-graham-acknowledged-glenn-beck-as-a-mormon-and-christian

Excerpts:

“Beck recalled how the famous American evangelist once acknowledged him as a Christian, even while knowing of his membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Beck said his conversation with Billy Graham came about five years before his interview with Ruth Graham, according to the video.

“I remember … your father asked me some very pointed questions,” Beck said in the video. “And somebody in the room said, ‘Just a reminder, he’s Mormon.’ And your father turned to the individual and said, ‘I know.’”

“And he looked back at me and said — we were talking about a certain subject — and he said, ‘Tell me how you know that came from Christ,’” Beck said. “And I told him.”

“And he (Graham) looked back to the other individual and said, ‘He sure sounds Christian to me,’” Beck said before pausing to gather his emotions.”

That surprises me – Graham considering Beck a Christian. Christians I know, admittedly of the more fundy variety, specifically state that Mormonism is not a Christian religion. That is based on the view of many Christian denominations that there are some solid rock beliefs you must embrace in order to be Christian, such as belief in the traditional Christian Trinity.

Of course, religion is nothing if not controversial, and confusing, as there are Christian denominations that also do not accept the Trinity teaching, going instead for non-trinitarianism. But most denominations go for the three-in-one description of God, the Trinity.

My old pals the JWs reject the Trinity teaching, just one of the reasons that mainstream Christians classify them too as “not Christian”.

Another big reason that many mainstreamers consider that “Mormonism is non-Christian is their use of other books of “scripture” in addition to the Bible.

Dr. R. Albert Mohler, JR., on Christianity.com mentions “traditional Christian orthodoxy”. He states “We have an objective standard to define what is and is not Christianity”.

He says: “Mormonism rejects traditional Christian orthodoxy at the onset - this rejection is the very logic of Mormonism's existence. A contemporary observer of Mormon public relations will not hear this logic presented directly, but it is the very logic and message of the Book of Mormon, and the structure of Mormon thought. Mormonism rejects Christian orthodoxy as the very argument for its own existence, and it clearly identifies historic Christianity as a false faith.”

He continues: “Throughout the centuries, the doctrines concerning the Trinity and the nature of Christ have constituted that foundation, and the church has used these definitional doctrines as the standard for identifying true Christianity.

“The Mormon doctrine of God does not correspond to the Christian doctrine of the Trinity. Mormonism rejects the central logic of this doctrine (one God in three eternal persons) and develops its own doctrine of God - a doctrine that bears practically no resemblance to Trinitarian theology. The Mormon doctrine of God includes many gods, not one.
Furthermore, Mormonism teaches that we are what God once was and are becoming what He now is. That is in direct conflict with Christian orthodoxy.”

Yes, that is exactly what I have heard from my Christian pals. To the point that it still amazes me I ever agreed to speak to the missionaries at all.

Sometimes when "friends" invite you to go somewhere or talk to somebody you'd be well advised to Just Say No. Thanks, but no thanks. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2023 07:39PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: dot matrix printer ( )
Date: October 29, 2023 08:16PM

There were leaders who served stake positions and some of them could never be bothered to do their assigned home teaching. I was instructed to mark their missed home teaching as done. It was another dishonest act as part of ward clerk. The bishop claimed that he would personally contact them and put them on the straight and narrow. If any interviews occurred, I was unaware of them. As long as I continued for several years, nothing changed. Some families complained and those families were assigned to brothers who actually did their assigned home teaching. They were overburdened with 6-7 families and these stake flakes couldn't be bothered to home teach a single family.

There were other nobodies who missed one or two assigned families. They were told to get straight and repent of their slothfulness. It didn't matter if they had been laid off, in the hospital or suffered a family crisis. They were expected to visit their assigned families every month.

Posted by: ciena ( )
Date: October 29, 2023 11:01PM

Energy drink companies must really like the "Mormon tea" extracts of ephedrine based products. Sugar beet extracts, too!

My point is tha good LDS weirdness is like a diversity lesson of a strange variety.

Maybe goofy Glen Beck had some pretty goofy followers at one time but now a days I hardly seem to run into any of em.

My weirdness meter sees these people first and usually gets nice and warm. Now I know better and say "uh oh" why is my built in detector getting warm but not beeping loudly to warn me?

It's just my take on these types of folks.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 30, 2023 12:23AM

Just what Mormonism 'needs', another Right-Wing zealot with marginal connections to MoCulture; I say this not expressing any opinion whatsoever about Mr. Becks Christian ideals or choices.

Posted by: flea ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 07:41PM

These Mocelebrities are protected by Morg at all costs. Goofy Glenn Beck cleaning the church on Saturdays? Yea, he's driving his weirdo freakshow of "Americana' artifacts around the states.

Posted by: ciena ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 08:17PM

You can be Mormon and almost half sane and thats's why Beck can pretend to have appeal sometimes 48% of the time!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 02, 2023 09:21PM

just what is the 'traditional' trinity view/doctrine/belief of even Christians?

Father, Son, & Holy Ghost ?

I've never understood their objection on this matter.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 03, 2023 05:17AM

Glenn Beck is just another successful “Save America” grifter.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.