Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmo Aspie ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 12:27PM

Today's seminary lesson was beyond fucked up. I knew the LDS church was pretty damn racist, sexist, and believing they were superior and all, but this took it to a whole new level of fucked up.

We have been reading in the book of Exodus. I had to read aloud, the part in Chapter 32 where Moses commanded the sons of Levi to murder 3,000 innocent people. I was shocked. I'm used to violence in scripture, warfare and what not. But this was genocide. These people were innocent, they abided.

Immediately after discussing the cold blooded murder of 3,000 we went immediately into talking about how "we know Jesus and Heavenly Father love us". It was very disturbing.

After class, we have a quarter mile walk back to the school. I talked to a TBM about our lesson, and Her opinion on the matter. She then told me "They strayed from God, that is what they got" I then asked Her if she could do the same to the "ethically inferior" She said She could if God commanded. I then asked her if She could drag innocent people out of their homes and murder them in cold blood in front of their kids, and live with Herself. She replied again with "if God commanded me to"

I didn't think mormons in this day and age could be genocidal. It is so fucked up and so wrong.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 12:30PM

Frightening but not really surprising. I have heard basically the same thoughts from other young mormons.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 12:33PM

What's the difference between her mindset and that of, say, ISIS?

Given that and the BOM injunction that it is better for on man
to perish than a nation to dwindle and perish in unbelief, she
might kill you if you foment "unbelief" among your classmates.

Date: October 28, 2015 12:35PM

Creepy... She told me that exact quote

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 01:40PM

baura Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the difference between her mindset and that
> of, say, ISIS?
>
> Given that and the BOM injunction that it is better for one man
> to perish than a nation to dwindle and perish in unbelief, she
> might kill you if you foment "unbelief" among your classmates.

It's not just in the BoM. The New Testament reports that it's the same thing that the high priest Caiaphas said, to justify killing Jesus. John 11:50, 18:14

In the BoM it's 1 Nephi 4:13

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 12:36PM

Just want to say thanks for your seminary updates.

My kids are in seminary and I have no idea what the topic of the day is, so it is good to hear it from you, so I can ask them about the craziness.

Date: October 28, 2015 12:41PM

Thank you scotslander. Love doing it. Right now, I'm just really scared because of that TBM.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 12:49PM

No need to fear the crazy TBM. It is just talk to make them sound super righteous.

I'm sure there a few crazies that would kill if the profit demanded it, but that number is much smaller than the people who claim they would do it while it is just a theoretical question.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 12:46PM

Here's a mind blower...

Moses is a fictional biblical character. Throw that bomb out in seminary and watch the class blow up and the teacher look absolutely blank.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 01:00PM

How could Moses be fictional? I guess we could say Alfred the Great was a made up character too. And the world trade towers falling was all a conspiracy.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 01:03PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2015 01:03PM by poopstone.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 01:39PM

REALLY????????

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 02:44PM

You are comparing the possibility that Moses is a fictional biblical character with the World Trade Center conspiracy theories?

Come on. There's a better argument to make than that comparison.

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 04:59PM

Seriously, there is no evidence whatsoever outside of the bible that a person named Moses existed and led Israelites out of Egypt thousands of years ago. It is completely reasonable to look at him as a mythical person that stories are told about. Maybe someone based on the idea of a person who really lived. Someone along the lines of King Arthur.

To put that in the same context as comparing it to stating that Alfred the Great was made up is ridiculous. There is a wealth of evidence that Alfred the Great lived and help preserve what was to become England against Viking invasions. That is a historical fact. Moses, not a fact...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 06:14PM

poopstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How could Moses be fictional? I guess we could say
> Alfred the Great was a made up character too. And
> the world trade towers falling was all a
> conspiracy.

He could be fictional because somebody made him up, and his exploits, around the time of the Babylonian exile. And because no evidence shows the person ever existed, and that the stories about him originate around the time of the Babylonian exile.

There's plenty of evidence for the other two things you mentioned. There isn't any for Moses.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 06:31PM

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 01:48PM

or tell them that sigmund freud published a thesis in a peer reviewed journal about moses actually being the pharoah akhenaten.

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 02:21PM

and to top that off, Moses (akhenaten) was actually an alien who used a water repulsion ray to part the red sea and used intergalactic space food as manna from heaven.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 07:35PM

lmao

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 12:47PM

That type of thinking explains polygamy and the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 12:58PM

Shunning is, essentially, "he's dead to me!" So if the shunned individual might as well dead...

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 01:05PM

"If God told her to kill"?
I'd bet that, if the current prophet told her to kill, she would.
This is what scares me about some of my TBM, prepper neighbors. I have no doubt that if the prophet (or hell, even Glenn Beckkk) told them to kill Gentiles, they wouldn't question it.
Scary Cult.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 01:31PM

I know you told us what she said, but I highly doubt she really understands what she just said. I mean, I bet, if actually faced with performing the action, rather than just a little thought experiment from within the mormon bubble, weapon in hand, crying mother before her, no. I don't think she could "do it if god commanded."

I have to wonder why people never stop to wonder what kind of sick twisted god would command such a thing? Why would god create a whole subset of people meant specifically to be murdered by another specific subset of people? It makes no goddamn sense.

Date: October 28, 2015 01:39PM

The reason why I only trust New Testament Christianity, mostly ministry books at that.

Posted by: IdahoBanana ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 01:51PM

The flip side of this that is also scary is the fear that it instils in the TBM (or Jew since this was used in older times too) to ensure obedience.
yes
I mean, hell, if God will wipe out an entire nation for disobedience, do you think for one second that he'd spare your sorry butt?

And where is the cuttoff? How long would you have to disobey before obliteration was your only hope to get you to change your ways? What happened to agency?

As a seminary going TBM these lessons filled me With such anxiety to not even entertain the idea of sin because God could and would wipe me out for disobedience.

Posted by: whinny ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 02:00PM

Here is a comment I've made that usually stops TBM would-be-if-God-told-them-to murderers:

Really, you would murder someone? I would say to God, "Wait, don't you take people at their appointed time every minute of every day? Couldn't you just give that person a massive coronary or stroke? Aren't you God?"

I call this the Star Trek IV question. What does God need with a starship?

Laban could have just died of alcohol poisoning or choking on his on vomit, don't you know?

Posted by: wninny ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 02:07PM

Whoops, sorry - DH informs me that's Star Trek V. IV is the one with the whales.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 02:29PM

Not only do they believe in it, but in 1857 they quite literally acted on it with the Mountain Meadows Massacre summarily executing ca. 130 people.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 02:52PM

So much for their claim of "free agency," huh?

Sure, you have "free agency" to not believe. But then, of course, god will order somebody to murder you. Yep, that's freedom all right. Sheesh.

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 02:58PM

Who's to say who believes the right way? So, by her reasoning, if Mormonism isn't believing the right way, it is ok for someone to kill her on God's behalf because of that? People use all sorts of justifications for their abuses. Non-belief in a certain religion as an excuse to kill someone is so convenient. And sick.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 04:30PM

These people frighten me!!

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 04:50PM

It's easy to say we would do such and such if commanded, but I highly doubt a high school student would be capable of murder. Most of us have never experienced war first hand and actually seen people brutally murdered. People should think twice before they say such outlandish things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2015 09:32PM by antilehinephi.

Posted by: riverogue ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 08:39PM

I have a TBM ex-friend that told me that he would kill his little children if he believed that God told him so....Scary

Posted by: editingwhiz ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 09:40PM

Your friend sounds like she would do well in a despotic regime. She'd have made an excellent Nazi.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.