Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 09:45AM

One of my relatives invited us to help celebrate her daughter's birthday at our lake house. It sounded like a good way to spend some time with them. Knowing most people like Blue Bell ice cream, we brought 2 gallons of Blue Bell ice cream with us. So Friday night it all disappeared. TBM BIL ate one of the gallons. Went to the store and bought 2 more gallons. Came in the house and TBM BIL was watching football and holding one of the gallons in his lap eating straight out of the container. He ate the whole gallon again. He had heart surgery earlier this year.

We took them to a party down the street and the TBM's sat as straight as a board and did not eat, drink or socialize with anyone. There was alcohol there. Their birthday girl daughter was insulted the host had port a potties for everyone to use. The host had hired several bands to play so there were a lot of people for a septic system. The b-day girl is 40 years old.

The b-day girl got into one of our kayaks and decided she had gotten a splinter (plastic boat). She is still complaining about a non existent splinter. She did walk barefoot (was told not to) and stepped on a thorn.

TBM sister brought her own not real coffee drink. Made a big deal about it. None of it was used (my Keruig cups disappeared) and she forgot the jar of turds.

Now I am receiving messages about all their grievances. The big one - they saw their 30 year old son drinking a beer he had taken out of the fridge. It is my fault for having beer in my garage fridge while they were there.

How the heck can a 30 year old man having a beer be so much worse than a recent heart attack victim eating two gallons of ice cream? WOW nonsense is so stupid.

And now they want to come to the lake house for Thanksgiving.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 09:50AM

Mormons don't have a monopoly on rude, inconsiderate relatives.
But they sure do seem to foster 'em.

I'd beg off Thanksgiving if I were you. It doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Posted by: Ladedah ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 09:53AM

Please tell me you told them no. What did you say about Thanksgiving?

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 10:14AM

Have you thought about saying no?

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 10:35AM

You didn't mention a single fun thing that happened. If there were any I'm sure they were ruined by the "guests."

Where I come from--the real world--people do not invite themselves to your lake house or any other of your properties. Guests act like guests. The word gracious was invented just for these types of activities and your relatives wouldn't know that word if it hit them in the face.

You owe yourself a life without these people in it. They are disgusting pigs. You know it. Get them out of your life.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 10:40AM

Gee whiz, I'd like to come to your lake house for my birthday, and I'll bring my own ice cream! I'm also willing to house sit, if you'd like to hide out for Thanksgiving.

:D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2015 10:41AM by amyjo.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 11:15AM

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 12:58PM

Just so you know, I am allergic to nuts and my favorite ice cream is vanilla fudge. You know, the vanilla with those cool little chocolate stripes all running through it? Better stock up!

Oh, and I have a sleep disorder and RLS so I may be up pacing all night and have to sleep late so I will need silence in the house till noon or so.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 12:52PM

If we are all inviting ourselves I would like to come as well.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 10:40AM

And of course you should say no to their Thanksgiving mooch.

So,and another old saying that applies:

Fool me once--shame on you. Fool me twice--shame on me.

Subsitute "use and abuse" for "fool" to customize it.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 10:48AM

Well, if they do ever return, only have raw vegetables in the kitchen, nothing sweet or fat.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 10:55AM

Why are you allowing these people to take advantage of you?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 11:06AM

I would just be blunt and tell them that you have decided to have Thanksgiving with your own little family group this year and not extended family. Why ruin a perfectly good holiday when you just "entertained" them?

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 11:20AM

The older I get the more I like being "out of town" for events.

Thanksgiving, out of town, Xmas, out of town, baptism celeb, out of town, another grandchild burped, out of town.

Sounds grumpy but keeps one life centered around my wife and I.

Our lives are not to be governed by others and that includes any H-day expectations. We may get judged by others but don't care. While they are judging we are enjoying the hell out of life.......elsewhere.

If what you are saying about the BIL and the ice cream is true then I am here to tell you that right there is some serous f--ckedupedness.

I'm with others. Tell them no and don't respond to a damn thing. Disconnect from the insanity. You cannot fix it.

Date: October 29, 2015 11:22AM

You could always just tell them like this: "Go jump in the lake."

And then give them a paddle without the boat.

Or is it a boat without a paddle? ;)

I'd love a house on the lake. My ex-boyfriend had one, and it was just peaceful waking up to the view of the lake from his backyard.

It would be so easy getting used to that. :)

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 12:15PM

Just to be clear; is this YOUR lake house or a joint family owned lake house? If it's your lake house, invite some friends over for Thanksgiving & tell your inconsiderate relatives that you already have plans. Next time they do come over, have an empty fridge. That way, you won't get blamed when adults indulge themselves with stuff you provided. The beer thing is beyond stupid. Screw 'em.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 12:34PM

With relatives like that who needs enemies? Sorry but they sound horrible, selfish, inconsiderate and extremely rude. Yikes.

Date: October 29, 2015 12:36PM

Another thought, is you could offer to rent it to them for the week.

At $1,600 or thereabouts.

Then you go somewhere else, and have a good old time, at their expense.

They may wonder if you're the same relative, but will soon catch on that you're serious.

:)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 12:46PM

From what I read, TheMaster said it was 'our' lake house, not 'my' lake house. If a BIL is there, it makes sense that it was one of TheMaster's sisters, who is part of the 'our' in lake house. If that is the correct interpretation, she probably has equal rights to the lake house. And having planned the party, she decided to invite apostate brother because... Well, maybe they like him?

At the end, the sister lets TheMaster know that she wants to use the lake house at thanksgiving. But I didn't see that he was invited...

Assuming TheMaster and his 'we' don't live at the lake house, all I see here is a really, really oafish sister, BIL and niece, and many of us have a set like that in our extended family.

I pretty much expect that TheMaster will do what he figures is best for his 'we'. And it might even include going there to enjoy the show.

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 03:57PM

Definitely tell them you have other plans on Thanksgiving. Why ruin your holiday with their presence?

And why do they think it is ok to desecrate the sanctity of the Lake House? Every one (except Mormons obviously!) knows that Lake Houses are sacred and must be partied in, relaxed in, and thoroughly enjoyed appropriately. It goes without saying, for crying out loud!

Or, if you are a brave soul, tell them they are not invited to Thanksgiving. Or tell them you have concerns about their behavior, and if they want to come, they'll have to abide by certain rules. Fair's fair. But I guess I totally missed why they want to go again after the horrible time they just had.

Date: October 29, 2015 06:02PM

Enlighten us, oh TheMaster!

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 10:18PM

Sister has no ownership in the lake house. We asked her husband not to feed the dog human food because it makes her have the runs. I found out today her husband was sneaking her human food while we were outside. I mentioned earlier that he had eaten a gallon of Blue Bell ice cream but what grossed me out today is one of the grandkids told me he was filling his spoon up with ice cream and letting the dog lick the ice cream off the spoon and the refilling the spoon with more ice cream straight from the container. Not only was he eating ice cream straight from the container but so was the dog. He may not care about what he eats but we care what the dog eats.

Their self righteous pious TBM following the W of W rules while bending real health rules is disgusting to me. Did I mention they left the party after an hour because the Spirit could not be there? It was a really wild party of 55 to 75 year olds. The biggest item being drunk was wine.

I need to add this TBM family came before and drank coffee and tried wine and had a good time. Their 40 year old daughter was not there before. I guess you must be perfect in front of grown children. Did I mention the 40 year old ate all or store bought cookies and candies? Then blamed the food at the party for making her sick.

Date: October 29, 2015 10:56PM

The WoW also emphasizes moderation. Geez Louise, these relatives of yours are over-indulgent and just plain pigs!

Your dog is better behaved than BIL. And a 40 year old daughter consuming all the candies and cookies, then complaining why she's sick to her tummy?

Oya vey. And on her birthday of all days. It's not like she's five years old anymore. Her behavior is.

Date: October 29, 2015 10:25PM

Jesus Christ! If the sister has no ownership interest, tell her straight out, to get bent! What's the worst that's going to happen, she won't speak to you ever again and will cut you out of her will?

When it's your house, it's your rules, and no one should get in who isn't happy to live by your rules.

we're all going to be dead a loooooong time and we should cultivate as much happiness as we can.

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 10:41PM

I'd let this be a learning lesson for you. Whenever they want to invite themselves to your lake house, think of all this crap and tell them you're busy or don't have room for them. You don't need to blow up on them and tell them they were terrible guests, just tell them that they can't come. It's that simple.

I've got to hand it to you, you have a hell of a lot more patience with them than I do. I have a much shorter temper.

Don't you just love how people invite you to something that they want to do at your home? How greasy can you be?

Now look in the mirror and practice saying no to them. Remember, you're not aggressive, you're dominant! ;)

Date: October 29, 2015 10:44PM

Rekey the locks!

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 02:24AM

What surprises me somewhat is that these weren't distant relatives, but rather your sister and her family – and you had no idea they were capable of behaving this badly.

Knowing what you do now, it would be incredibly foolish to allow these pigs a second go at the trough. If you actually do accede to their Thanksgiving expectations, the inevitable train wreck will be on you.

Two suggestions. One, install security cameras at the lake house. These cretins sound like they would have no problem with breaking in and making themselves at home, whether you invited them or not.

Two, the house apparently has satellite, maybe DirecTV or something. As a precaution, order a month of Playboy TV (it's only $15; yes, I used to subscribe) then discontinue in December. I'm serious. If they do show up unannounced, once they see all that skin they'll be so appalled and offended they won't be able to run away fast enough, and may never even think of stepping foot in the place again.

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 02:33AM

Tell them Thanksgiving is strictly byob, and those who don't imbibe are not invited. "Just wanted you to know so that you wouldn't show up and feel uncomfortable."

Plus, anyone that would deliberately feed your dog after you told them not to are not to be trusted. Point that out if they need another reason.

Are you sure he didn't do it because you asked him not to? The sheer effrontery leaves me gobsmacked.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 02:43AM

Tell them you will be in jail that weekend and that you'd prefer that over their company.
In short, tell them they are NOT welcome because they are whiners!

Posted by: Sister Hi ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 02:47AM

This may take some courage on your part, but it could save you from having to deal with these slobs in the future.

First off I would tell them they are ruining the spirit that resides in the lake house. It's your refuge away from the world. Meaning you go there to be peaceful, and have a nice time. People who come there and give the dog food that makes him sick are NOT welcome. People who eat you out of house and home are not welcome. People who cannot be social and interact with anyone who drinks alcohol or coffee are NOt welcome, especially when they insult the neighbors. People who can't or won't live the house rules aren't welcome.

30 and 40 year olds who can't deal with alcohol, rock bands, parties and real life owies are not welcome.

People who send you messages bitching about you inviting them to the lake house and are unappreciative ARE NOT WELCOME!

They should have been sending you a Thank You note.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 08:54PM

Start saying No. Just be honest! Due to the last events and complaints at YOUR lake home you have decided not to make it available.

Their self-entitlement is insane.

RMM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 09:00PM

stop being such a pushover !

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 09:22PM

"We took them to a party down the street and the TBM's sat as straight as a board and did not eat, drink or socialize with anyone. There was alcohol there. Their birthday girl daughter was insulted the host had port a potties for everyone to use. The host had hired several bands to play so there were a lot of people for a septic system. The b-day girl is 40 years old."

Sounds like my kind of party..

Posted by: Mitch McDeere ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 06:48PM

I have noticed similar behavior by insular, no boundaries TBMs at certain wedding receptions and other functions.

They bring a greeting card from the Dollar Store and nothing more, and then go and gorge themselves on things they would never pay for themselves (shrimp, canapes, french pastries, etc).

They also seem to think nothing of bringing along kids, grandparents, etc to an "invitation only" event (i.e. limited number of seats and plated entrees available).

I have never noted this behavior in any other social group, not even close!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.