Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 04:03PM

Today, I came across this gripping tale of how Mr. Oaks was protected by the lord from a robber at gunpoint in Chicago. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not, perhaps you do.

I do note, however, that it seems to be unverifiable as there is no indication of the Police being notified or involved in any way. This is sort of par for the course when these guys relate faith promoting stories. I love the part about how he "lectured" the young man. Hilarious.

http://www.aggielandmormons.org/2015/10/in-very-moment-harrowing-night-elder.html?m=1

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 04:11PM

Dallin Oaks was in our Stake Presidency when I lived in a western suburb of Chicago. I don't recall specifically when I first heard this tale (and my Priest Quorum adviser was Dallin's brother in-law) but I doubt it was while I lived there!

The thing of it is, with this kind of story, that it's only miraculous because he survived i.e. wasn't shot. If the kid had popped him one and he died, no miracle.

Even better, there would have been no story...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2015 04:11PM by Bruce A Holt.

Date: October 29, 2015 04:33PM

Here's the absolute douchiest statement from the article:

"I knew what would happen if I grabbed that gun. We would struggle, and I would turn the gun into that young man's chest. It would fire, and he would die."

Pump the brakes Mr. Oaks, you're not nearly the badass you think you are!

Date: October 29, 2015 04:35PM

He is, just ask him:

"I have often pondered the significance of that event in relation to the responsibilities that came later in my life. Less than a year after that August night, I was chosen as president of Brigham Young University. Almost fourteen years after that experience, I received my present calling."

We wouldn't have been blessed to have him as a GA if he were killed that night. Super special indeed!

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 04:50PM

My mission president was carjacked while I was on my mission. He wasn't hurt, so some might call it a miracle, but Jesus was out about $30K.

Date: October 29, 2015 05:18PM

A lack of money seems to be a recurring problem with Hay-soos.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 04:37PM

I remember listening to this in GC and wishing the kid had shot the idiot.

So boring....

Date: October 29, 2015 05:19PM

...and they're so douchey about it, as if he might have hurt the kid, but thought better of it (see above).

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 05:55PM

he was having a wet dream about being a bad ass like Nephi (-the guy who can kill people with a sword when they are passed out), who was one of Joseph Smith's dreams about being a bad ass.

Posted by: carthagegrey ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 06:01PM

wow that "blackstone ranger" didn't know how close he was to meeting jeebus at the hands of the deadly dallin hoax, also firearms expert hoax was able to see at night [with the gun in his ribs ,no less] the sub-standard manufacturing process used for this weapon

talk about inspired!! then he put his hand on the thugs shoulder to "lecture" him.

hoax, if you're gonna be a bullshitter, shoot for kolob, and say: I placed my hand on his shoulder and invited him to take moroni's challenge, which he did, after feeling a burning in his bosom, he further agreed to take the missionary discussions

and was baptized, he served an honorable mission converting several blackstone rangers and even some latin kings

he now is a full tithe payer living in Springville Utah with his wife and 8 kids

Date: October 29, 2015 06:08PM

Nice, I love it!

I'm sure the gangster was shitting his pants at the site of a homely, doughy, pasty white businessman with glasses.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.