Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 02:28PM

Wondering whether RHPS ever got a following in the Mormon areas? I imagine it would be seen as too risque and raunchy? Did any of your teen mo friends give it a try? With props, or without? If so, did they ever do the Time Warp again?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 02:37PM

I wrote about it in my story, "Little Purgatory Trail," which can be seen at Salamander Society.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 02:47PM

I went on a date to watch it with a never-Mo, while I was an active TBM in the Morridor, oh horror!

My date had seen it as a cult movie during his years as an undergrad in upstate New York. He knew all the cues to shout and scream and made signals like throwing popcorn, etc, throughout.

It was aired at midnight. The traditional stay-up-late teen flick and cult film that was already a classic by the time I watched it.

Finally, when I went to college, it was already old hat for me. I went to one of the viewings, but it wasn't nearly as much fun as watching it the first time.

Date: October 30, 2015 03:15PM

Napoleon Dynomite was a cult flick by the time my children were in college.

One of my children was teased as an undergrad because he reminded the students much of Jon Heder's character - a bit nerdy and geeky lol. Making things worse, many of my cousins went to high school in the same area as the movie was filmed, and I grew up near there.

So lots of Idaho influence on my children albeit they grew up in New York, not Idaho. :)

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 05:39PM

...where was that filmed? Rexburg/Pocatello area?..........

Date: October 30, 2015 06:16PM

It was filmed in Preston, Idaho, just over the border from Utah. Malad City is nearby, where Sonia Johnson grew up before becoming a feminist and apostate.

She's a folk hero in these parts. :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2015 07:42PM by amyjo.

Posted by: Looking tall ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 06:53PM

The iconic feminist hero is Sonia Johnson. Text correction error perhaps?

Date: October 30, 2015 07:42PM

You're right - it is Sonia.

I may be dyslexic, that isn't the first time I've confused Sonia Johnson with Sandra.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 02:50PM

Showing live, tonight, at the Tower theater in SLC.
When the movie was showing at the now closed Blue Mouse in the 70's, it was raided by the cops for being vulgar, obscene & inappropriate. Utah's adult version of Footloose.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 10:33PM

I attended BYU in the 70's and drove to the Blue Mouse in SLC twice to see it. I loved the audience participation.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 03:23PM

They used to show it at the Egyptian theater in Ogden. You even got a bag of props to use with your ticket.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 03:40PM

Oh, how I would LOVE to do the Time Warp again...........

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 04:11PM

I saw it at the blue mouse ....
and yes, I got wet.

Posted by: Abigail ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 04:17PM

I worked at a theatre in Idaho Falls when I was a teen 30-some years ago. RHPS was our most popular midnight movie.

Date: October 30, 2015 05:37PM

Hee hee. That's where I watched it, in Idaho Falls, 30 plus something years ago. My how time doth fly!

:)

Posted by: a nonny moue ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 04:19PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 04:31PM

pointless.

It was the RAGE in Seattle / capitol hill on Broadway for quite a while; DW#1 & I went to see it, stayed only about 10 minutes.

I don't think there will ever be another comparable w/could there be?

I couldn't even finish Clockwork Orange, but I did enjoy "Brazil" Terry Gilliam, dir.

DVD anyone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2015 04:36PM by GNPE.

Date: October 30, 2015 04:42PM

DVD of what ?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 06:02PM

my personal favs:

Casablanca (& headline Humphrey Bogarts)

Bagdad Café

Brazil

Life of Pi

etc.

Date: October 30, 2015 06:08PM

brazil is my fav

Posted by: Mr. Inactive ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 04:40PM

Back in the day it used to be shown at the Blue Mouse Theater in Salt Lake City back in the late 70's. It was already a cult movie back then.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 07:22PM

Rocky Horror definitely screened in Provo in the 80s. My "girlfriend" had a sister who was a fan of Midnight Mass. It played at a theater just off campus--on 1230 N if I remember correctly.

I thought it was the Devil's own movie, so I refused to ever go. If only the 22-year-old me knew what I'd be watching on the big screens at the Eagle (my favorite leather/denim gay bar) these days....

Posted by: Halfbreed ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 11:01PM

Great theater. Did my undergrad at the y and went to that theater on many many weekends. They showed lots of off beat movies, including Cat People and Monty Python. Thank God for that and Denny's (for coffee) and the Star Palace (for dirty dancing).

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 09:26PM

When I was in SLC, the Rocky Horror Picture Show was running for years everynight (or nearly every night) at the Blue Mouse theater on 1st south next to the Cosmic Aeroplane (don't know if either are still there) but I went to Rocky Horror several times with the props, (rice and toast, etc). Thanks for the great memories, some of the few of SLC. The CULT ruined my Utah experience for the most part like they ruin everything they come in contact with.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 09:54PM

RHPS still plays at the Tower Theater in SLC. It's on tonight at 11:30

Posted by: anonanon ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 10:40PM

Saw it there last week, complete with a shadow cast and commentary by the announcer on all the lines. Very funny.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.