Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: travis ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 09:19PM

I do business with several European companies so I get to travel over there on occasion. I was in Netherlands/Belgium last month for example.

After six years of marriage the stars aligned & my wife gets to travel with me this trip. We leave on the 7th of November & will have a one week business trip to Northern Germany. After that, we're flying to Munich where we'll rent a car for another week of fun. My wife's family is from that area so my wife wants to experience Bavaria.

What are some suggested "must see" things in that area? We do plan to spend some time visiting wineries in the area.

Other ideas would be appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2015 10:37PM by travis.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 09:28PM

Dachau is very close. Not a cheerful place, but historical. I overnighted there when I went to Oktoberfest.

Date: October 30, 2015 09:30PM

She refuses to go there. I did suggest it. I went there on my way home from my Danish mission & was very moved.

Thanks though.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 09:34PM

I understand. I didn't go through the front gate myself. It was enough to see the place from outside.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 09:47PM

We did a bicycle tour of Munich that was a lot of fun. They may not do it in the winter, though. Be sure to eat ice-cream every day while you are there. It's wonderful and last time I was there, it was only a Euro.

Posted by: Mr. Inactive ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 09:47PM

I always like the Rhine, Heidelberg and the Neckar region. Lots of stuff to see, lots of wines to try.

Date: October 30, 2015 09:53PM

Actually Mad King Ludwigs castles are closeby and I found the region very nice along the southern border. Depends on how much time is available and how far you are willing to travel.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 01:10AM

The castles are a must see.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 10:15PM

is the beer in germany served warm or cold ?

Date: October 30, 2015 10:39PM

The people I stayed with kept their beer under the sink. They didn't like cold beer. The beer I always got at the Kiosks serving sausages and beer pulled the beer right out of the brewery trays behind the counter. I wouldn't call it warm, but it sure wasn't cold either.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 10:47PM

Generally it is served cold. After all, they originated lager style beers.

Date: November 02, 2015 01:11AM

All the German beer I drank was cold.

RB

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 10:21PM

Wurzberg castle, Hidelberg, Bamberg, Nuremburg. All of it is beautiful. Best part of Europe. Most people speak English and the food can't be beat. Have a great trip .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2015 10:22PM by antilehinephi.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 10:29PM

I think you are a few weeks too early for the Christmas Markets.

http://www.bavaria.by/christmas-markets-bavaria-germany

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 12:03AM

Northern Germany: Cologne (aka Koln)
Southern Germany: Munich (and then Salzburg & Vienna!)
Naturlich!

Gute Reise!

Posted by: Esule in Germania ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 03:18AM

PapaKen, Northern Germany is NOT Cologne, norther Germany is Hamburg! I was there the other day, in Hamburg, beautiful day, cool but sunny. Travis, if your business trip is up there (here) get to visit the city along the Alster and Rathausmarkt and the Speicherstadt, the old warehouse district near the harbour that is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There are also boat tours.

If your north is our west then yes, Köln/Cologne, on the Rhein, is also very beautiful.

Antilehinephi, most of Germany is in fact beautiful, though most of the places you mentioned had to be rebuilt after 1945. Some of the food can't be beaten. But maybe you have never been south of the Alps?

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 10:01AM

Na ja und?
To me, Munich is south, so everything else is north.

It's not such a big country anyway, and you can get there quickly and easily by train.

I still vote for Koln. Wish I could go today!

Posted by: Sarony ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 11:41AM

Germany actually is a very big place. if you are in northern Germany meaning the Hamburg area I would keep it to that region.
If one draws a line between Hamburg and Berlin, there is a lot to see. After Hamburg, Schwerin castle is spectacular. Dipping slightly south, see Eisenhach (Bach's birthplace and the Wartburg castle where Martin Luther hid while translating the Bible into German), Halle (birthplace of George Frederick Handel and on a dark side, birthplace of Reinhardt Heydrich, the Nazi Butcher of Prague), Dresden (Paris of the East, see the rebuilt Frauenkirche), Brandenburg, the Charlottenburg Castle, and finally Berlin.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 03:20AM

I live in Germany! It rocks!

Hamburg is a beautiful, interesting city. Munich is too, for different reasons. They are very different but awesome in their own ways.

Have a great time!

Posted by: camlough ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 07:04AM

Munich has lots to offer. Take one of the Tour Busses to get a general idea.

City Centre, just walk around, you can't get lost and enjoy it.

Then, close to the City Centre, Glockenbach (hip and trendy and gay) with Gaertnerplatz

The Isar River, also close to city Centre

Schwabing plus the English Garten Park, located within the city.

Outside Munich, I suppose the Castle if you must. There are several huge lakes within Reach, Chiemsee or Starnberger See. Chiemsee goes towards the Austrian Border.

Andechs Monastery, where they serve homemade beer (Beer is NOT served cold!! Anywhere)

Weather is cool at the moment, but not cold yet. A bit damp every now and then, so bring waterproof shoes. And a jacket.

Try eating a Leberkaes Semmel (Leberkaese is a kind of meat, Semmel is a bread roll), they are everywhere. And a brezn (Pretzel) of course.

Where in Northern Germany are you going? And yes, Cologne is not in the North but the West.....

Please be aware that due to the current illegal migrants flooding into Germany, the Austrian Border could be a little crowded and expect long delays if you go near it.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 10:19AM

Berchtesgaden.
Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest)
Take the boat ride on Koenigsee.
Salzburg (just over the border into Austria)

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 04:38PM

Posted by: Ayse ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 08:11AM

Northern Germany: Hamburg! It's really great, actually. I live in Flensburg right now, about 7 km from Denmark. It's beautiful if you want a smaller city. I recommend trying Flensburger Pilsener. We have a beautiful harbor here, and some clubs, and you can always hop over to Denmark and go sailing or whatever.
If you're not going so far north: Munich, of course.
And I'm gonna go with everyone who's saying Köln (Cologne). I was there for a few days last week.It's gorgeous, I recommend the Dom and the Altstadt.

Try currywurst, it's my favorite. Stay away from Matjes.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 12:02PM

Was? Matjes sind doch lecker oder Rollmops ^^ Holsten ist besser als Flens :P

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 10:50AM

Koln is a great city indeed but def NOT and not even close to Northern Germamny but worth a trip indeed. (Let me know if you need a personal guide ^^)
Northern Germany is Hamburg and beyond. When you stop by in Hamburg take a trip to Reeperbahn its not only red-light district but a huge amusement area.
If you go more North take a trip to the coast. Maybe Sylt. Its beautiful there cbut maybe a little stormy in fall. However if you really go up that real northern part email me for some tips I know this area and also cologne pretty good. If you have the chance to be in cologne at the 11th that will be fun indeed. its startingg of the carnival session.

Posted by: meinbruder ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 11:07AM

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 11:52AM

Prague is only a few hours away. Go spend 2 days there. One of the most beautiful cities in the world. Wasn't bombed in WWII.
Fussen is near you-very cool. Also Rothenburg & Neurnberg.
Have fun. Every town has it's own brewery. Awesome & usually served cool, not as cold as the US but not room temp either.Doesn't need to be cold to taste good. Have fun.

Date: November 01, 2015 04:57PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We will be staying in Bremen, spending time in Hanover, Airbus plant in Hamburg, & the last two day in Berlin. This is the pre-arranged business trip the first week.

It's the second week where we'll be free of business to explore on our own. I rented a car in Munich & will depart out of Frankfurt five days later.

Wineries, castles, & historical places will be our priority.

Thanks again.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 05:29PM

...the current word on the street is that Germany (Europe) has had a facelift of massive proportions. What was the Europe of the past has now been transformed into a cultural casserole due to liberalized immigration policies introduced over the last couple decades, and especially this Syrian migrant mess. I was supposed to go over for work a few months back, but the employer told me he has been able to utilize migrant help for a fraction of the traditional European wage. Also he said that Europe, (Germany), is being subjected to higher crime rates, and the lack of housing is forcing the German government to subsidize and co-opt private apartment facilities to help accommodate the "visitors." After looking at the current situation over there, I just decided no.........just be aware....IMO.

Good luck!

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 07:40PM

Date: November 01, 2015 08:37PM

german lurker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just one (wine) suggestion: Baden Wine Route ....
> (or parts of it) ;-) ... there is so much to see
> in Germany, whatever you choose, have fun and:
> safe travels.
>
> http://www.schwarzwald-tourismus.info/schwarzwald/
> Ferienstrassen/badische-weinstrasse
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBvqW80NQtE
>
> http://www.event-tours-freiburg.com/htm/e-fidr.htm
> l#kaiser
>
> https://www.facebook.com/BadischeWeinstrasse/?fref
> =photo
>
> http://www.badischerwein.de/en/wine-country-baden/

Thank you for such detailed info on the wineries. My wife is a wine maker here in WA state so she really excited to try German wines. Beers too!

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 07:40PM

Having visited many times I am partial to the Black Forest area....very convenient for day trips to Basel, Switzerland, and Strasbourg, France.

The Technic Museums in Speyer and Sinsheim are superb.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 07:42PM

Schwarzwald/Black Forest is about two hours south of Frankfurt International Airport.....

Date: November 01, 2015 08:45PM

Drove across Germany twice on our Europe trip in May of 2008. Loved the country (and Austria and Hungary). Need to go back to drink more great beer, eat more great food, see more castles and the Porsche, BMW & Audi museums and rent a bigger, faster car for some autobahn fun.

Ron Burr

Date: November 01, 2015 10:20PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Drove across Germany twice on our Europe trip in
> May of 2008. Loved the country (and Austria and
> Hungary). Need to go back to drink more great
> beer, eat more great food, see more castles and
> the Porsche, BMW & Audi museums and rent a bigger,
> faster car for some autobahn fun.
>
> Ron Burr

I agree Ron. I have a sports class Mercedes or Audi reserved. I plan on hitting it pretty hard on the autobahn. If it were a bit warmer I would have rented a BMW motorcycle.

Date: November 02, 2015 01:13AM

I was driving an Opel Zafira at 100mph (5000 rpm in 5th grear-I needed a 6th) and VW's, BMW's and Audis were blowing by me at 150!

RB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.