Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mr mister ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 08:51AM

Does anyone remember a story of a mother that lived in a storage shed so she could pay for a mission or tithing or something like that? I've been searching for it, but can't seem to find it.

The story was given as an example of how great it is when the members screw themselves over for the sake of the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 08:55AM

I haven't heard that one, but it sounds likely.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 11:25AM

Did the storage shed look like work boot and did she have a lot of kids? Cuz then I think I've heard it...

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 12:37PM

There was an old woman who lived in a shed
To pay for a mission? That's messed in the head.

And still paid her tithing, I bet, which is nuts,
Obeying her bishop, no doubt. What a putz.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 11:57PM

Book of Mordor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was an old woman who lived in a shed
> To pay for a mission? That's messed in the head.
>
> And still paid her tithing, I bet, which is nuts,
> Obeying her bishop, no doubt. What a putz.

:D :D :D

Date: October 31, 2015 12:55PM

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe,
she had so many children, she didn't know what to do!

So she sent them on missions, with money from the ward,
and rented out their rooms, charging double for board.

When their two years were up and the kids started home,
she enrolled them at the Y, and her heart turned to stone.

"I'm still an old woman, but now I know what to do!
Live within my income and teach my kids to do it, too."

The moral of this story is that there really is none;
No matter what you do in life, when it's over, you're done.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 02:52PM

elderolddog, "No matter what you do in life, when it's over, you're done."

E.D.: It ain't over 'till the fat-lady sings.

Date: October 31, 2015 02:54PM

Yeah, I know, but what rhymes with 'sings'????

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 03:15PM

Having lived in a windowless fruit cellar and a garage myself, I can easily imagine someone living in a storage shed.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 12:38AM

My mom's parents were MORmON hillbillies. Several times they lived in houses that featured stacked timber log cabin style construction to one extent or another. The house that my mom was raised in was an absolute Shanty. Since my grandfather had a saw mill, he decided to build a stacked timber two car garage that included an upstairs attic room. It was very well constructed for stacked timber. That attic room became the bedroom for the girls in the family. It was supremely spartan but notably nicer than the house. Coming from this background, my parents thought nothing of moving my bed out to the back porch as they were remodeling their house. That happened just about the time that I hit puberty. I knew that any complaint on my part would be met with the suggestion that I move into the chicken coupe. After all,MORmON children are just two legged live stock that are allowed to use the house, unlike the other livestock on the place, and they should be damned grateful that they are treated so well. My cousins were treated with similar disregard, even so, it was well understand that all of us better live up to our MORmON parent's MORmON expectations.

And do not worry, these fine MORmON parents always had their tithing faithFOOLY paid up, no matter how much their children had to do with out, (SO MORmON INSIDER ELITE LIKE THE HINCKLEY'S Could have anything that they wanted)

Posted by: anony57 ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 03:17PM

I vaguely recall the story but I can't provide you with any details. Sorry!

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 03:47PM

I don't know that story, but I have a friend who returned from a mission a few months into it and his mother made him live in their backyard shed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2015 06:47PM by want2bx.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 11:46PM

want2bx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know that story, but I have a friend who
> returned from a mission a few months into it and
> his mother made him live in their backyard shed.

Have you seen some of those sheds? They are just like a regular house!! Just smaller!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 04:16PM

Did she remove her gold dental fillings to pay for the new temple?

Date: October 31, 2015 11:41PM

Bullseye.

I was going to comment that this story is almost as creepy as James Faust proudly displaying the gold fillings of a member that had been extracted however voluntarily to help pay for a MORmON temple in south america. Too bad that Faust did not offer to purchase those same fillings while they were still in the member's mouth and then LEAVE THEM THERE. It was pure MORmON insanity that Faust purposely mentioned that he had paid fair market value (SCRAP PRICES) to obtain the extracted fillings for the purpose of publicly displaying them to other MORmON members, AS IF that move made Faust blameless in the ultra creepy and exploitative scenario. When a video was posted on the internet pointing out how creepy that Faust's actions really were, then LDS Inc reacted by pulling the story from their official MORmON website.

What an ASSpostHOLE !!!!

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 12:00AM

Members removing their own teeth to pay for temples in Latin America they couldn't afford to travel to. The GAs used that as touching faith promoting speeches. Sadistic Monsters!

People die from dental infections, and they needed their teeth! Unbelievable. I was stunned when I heard that-part of the reason I resigned. Bragging about collecting gold from the undead for the dead, and opulence for the few. That's what Jesus would have done. Horrific.

Date: November 01, 2015 12:52AM

Like you, I found that method of temple construction fund gleaning to be highly offensive. Even more offensive was the abject gratuitous pride that James Faust demonstrated as he displayed the harvested fillings as a trophy of the success of marshaling gullible members into such mindless sacrifice. Faust must have been completely intoxicated on his own over estimation of his self importance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.