Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 10:16PM

I'm a regular...a gazillion posts on the old and new board. Not "active" on the board in the past six or months or so. I've been busy rebuilding

Return and Report:

I live on the beach. In paradise.

No really. I do. With my 12-year-old son.

My folks live just down the beach in a beautiful, welcoming home 2 blocks from the ocean. I love them so much. I returned to my Catholic roots after I left the LDS church (convert of 17 years) and I re-baptized all of my kids Catholic (The religion of my youth). My ex was Mormon Royalty--ole Boyd never got to sit in the Big Boy Seat! ha!! ;o)

My adult children and toddler grandchildren live all around me and we have frequent visits and sleepovers. I love my life. I'm scared every day because I've always been married and all my needs have been met. But we make it. I have enough financial income to meet our needs. I have a beautiful life with best friends and neighbors and family.

I have a beautiful beachside apartment, my own car (paid off), and no more debt. Life is so good.

RfM kept me alive for many years as I tried to flee from an addict and abusive marriage. Ultimately, I lost my home, my car, my smart phone, my 401K, my retirement, all of my savings...EVERYTHING...to a narcissist who turned my world inside-out.

But I'm OK now. I just want you to know.

Today I'm good. I fled, with all of your good advice, and today...

**I'M GOOD**

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 10:19PM

If I could dance, I'd get up and dance a happy dance for you.

Smart move not to stop paying tithing, to ensure that ... What, no tithing!? Then how can you be solvent!!!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 10:20PM

AWESOME!
How did you do that after leaving your blessings behind?
I miss your posts, glad you're doing well. What beach area are you prospering by?

Date: October 31, 2015 10:25PM

Florida baby! Go Gators!!!

;o)

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 10:34PM

Great! Gulf side or Atlantic side. My brother lives in Tampa. I go fishing with him out there about 3-4 times a year. Very laid back & very little mormon presence.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 10:21PM

Saw you comment a bit today and I'm happy you're in a safe, sane and good place.

May the Witches' New Year bring you even more peace and happiness.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 10:23PM

So happy to hear you are doing so well!
Sounds like you took your life back.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 10:40PM

Love & Kisses, Shannon!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 11:10PM

We were all pulling for you, and we knew you could do it!

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 11:18PM

Good going Shannon!

I can relate, in too many ways. Being brave is painful, but staying in drama is far more painful.

Best wishes for continued happiness with your family. =)

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 11:20PM

This is wonderful, Shannon...

I feel so good for you!!!

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 11:48PM

It is great to hear from you, Shannon and I am glad that you are doing great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2015 12:07AM by kativicky.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: October 31, 2015 11:54PM

And so glad for the update, I'm happy that you were able to move on. And being out of debt is better than being rich. Will be thinking of you when the winds here get cold.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 04:52AM

Great news, thanks Shannon!

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 05:14AM

Congratulations, Shannon! I'm so happy for you!

When you were in the middle of despair, it was too bad that you couldn't see into the future, and know that everything would eventually be all right.

What became of your adopted kids from Russia?

I, also, was once married to the spawn of Boyd K. Packer, and he beat me almost every day--beat me for no reason. He was the meanest, most obnoxious, most arrogant, boring, repulsive human being to ever live. Maybe it runs in that family.

Date: November 01, 2015 07:17AM

Both girls are in their early 20's now.

Marina is doing great - stable job, beautiful little girl, good relationship with her long-term partner. She's currently in real estate school at the local college. I paid her tuition, and that was one of the proudest moments of my life. (All my ex does is take money from our adult children and never pays them back).

Sasha is in jail. Drugs and prostitution. Repeat offender. I've been with her through two births where the babies were whisked off to foster care almost immediately. Horribly tragic situation...but you can't save someone who doesn't want to be saved. (This is painful information to share but many long-term posters here "know" Sasha from reading about her explosive childhood with Reactive Attachment Disorder).

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 07:23PM

We've shared so many stories about our RAD daughters over the years. Mine, at the moment, is running her own business, with some help from her father. She seems to be staying out of destructive relationships, has cut WAY back on weed use (she is afraid clients will smell it on her) but seems to rely a lot on wine when the work day is over. But on balance, she seems to be doing better than she has in the last couple of decades.

Your beach paradise sounds like HEAVEN!!! I'm so jealous! A native Southern Californian - beach bunny until age 27, and land-locked since then! Can I bring my swim and snorkel gear to YOUR house?

Many hugs!!!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 06:17AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 08:56AM

I'm glad that things are going well for you, Shannon! It's lovely that your life has stabilized. It sounds like living near your parents is a good thing.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 09:57AM

Congrats to you on your recovery from Mormonism.

It's encouraging to read your progress report.

Sorry about your child who's in trouble with the law. It's so hard raising children even when the odds are in our favor.

Balancing that with growing up in a cult, and that influence has been part of my life process, in how I managed my children.

None of my children are Mormon today, thank God. But they still have their share of problems, and as adults I can no longer be there to fix things for them when they mess up. I miss when they were children, and I could tuck them in at night. They grow up so fast.

Thanks for sharing your updates with us. :)

Posted by: adamisfree2006 ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 10:25AM

We go back a long way in the RfM cyber world. I've followed your story for many years...

Glad you have found peace and balance. Take care and thanks for checking in.

Date: November 01, 2015 10:26AM

An RfM poster I once dearly loved walked me through the worst years of my marriage and the spectacular crash of my life. He once "screamed" at me: "I KEEP TELLING YOU TO STOP PLAYING IN THE TRAFFIC...AND YOU KEEP PLAYING IN THE TRAFFIC!!!!"

I want him to know I finally got out of the street.

;o)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 12:35PM

So glad to hear you've finally arrived somewhere good, Shannon!

Wishing you all the best

Tom in Paris

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 06:49PM

So glad to read this, shannon. I rarely come to the forum anymore but I have great memories of your support for others, including me. Wonderful to hear that you're doing well and surrounded by your family!

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 12:15PM

I am nowhere near a regular anymore and I am so glad I cam upon this thread. Congratulations and hugs!!!

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 02:55PM

Cool! Sounds like there will be plenty of presents for the holiday season.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 09:46AM

I am happy to hear things are going well for you

I have been hanging around off and on for about 8 years. I have always enjoyed your input on RfM.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 10:17AM

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 11:00AM

Shannon!

I've been wondering about you but have been so busy that I neglected to email. My bad. Enjoy your peace and joy. You deserve nothing less!!!

Moira

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 07:34PM

I love happy endings. But this is a happy beginning!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 07:44PM

I love those happy endings... how wonderful for you!!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.