Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 12:47PM

Said by TBM wife to me when I was telling her my frustrations with the recent conference talks.

Sure enough, it's in the Book of Mormon.

So when I get pissed at the statements of Oaks, Bednar, Andersen, etc., I am fulfilling prophecy.

We here at RFM hate the truth, and that's why we get upset at the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 12:49PM

Never read it...don't care what's in it.

RB

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 12:53PM

Those same verses also apply to TBM's. It's not just the wicked that take the truth to be hard. TBM's aren't truth seekers, and I think most would admit that. The already KNOW, they have prophets, etc... No need to seek truth. TBM's really define their own "truth", "wickedness", etc... to fit their current agenda.

Posted by: Mr. Inactive ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 01:02PM

I heard this argument a lot years back when I was distancing myself from the church that I wasn't "accepting or acknowledging the truth". I wouldn't even know how to handle an argument like that from a spouse. People argue about facts, a far cry from matters of faith. Unless a person acknowledges that truth may be "facts", but certainly not matters of faith I don't where an argument like that goes. The BoM is a work of fiction there is nothing there that is truth.

Posted by: Mr. Inactive ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 01:04PM

Correction: .....I don't "know" where an argument like that goes.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 04:56PM

"accepting or acknowledging the truth"....interesting statement. It presumes the truth of which they speak comes from a fictitious story written by a criminal. What would their answer be to THAT?

RB

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 01:08PM

Arguing with the illogical is like giving medicine to the dead.

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 10:32PM

If you are gonna baptize the dead you might as well give them medicine too.

Posted by: USN77 ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 02:16PM

It's pretty easy to prophesy that people who find out you've been defrauding them will be angry about it.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 04:41PM

Posted by: Ishii ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 04:51AM

USN77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's pretty easy to prophesy that people who find
> out you've been defrauding them will be angry
> about it.

Now that is a message that needs to be on a billboard on I-15.

As a highly experienced swindler, Joe Smith knew this from personal experience too.

Date: November 02, 2015 04:03PM

I just replied that I think she is right, if what the LDS leaders are saying is truth, then I do find it offensive and it does make me angry. However, if what they are saying is falsehood, then I am angry at deception and angry at manipulation, which would seem to be a healthy response.

I also asked who was more likely to get "offended" or "angry" when presented with new information that didn't agree with their world view--a faithful Mormon or a skeptic?

Unfortunately, faithful Mormons aren't really good at self-reflection in non-institutionally directed mirrors, so I am not sure the point came across.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 04:27PM

I loved The Book of Mormon as a youth.

"We here at RFM hate the truth, and that's why we get upset at the church."

Right, because I hate that Mormonism is so false. It is a con artist's religion. That hurts.

Wasted youth on loving a lie. That hurts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2015 04:27PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 04:47PM

That's ironic, since it was my need for truth that led me out of Mormonism. I have always wanted to only believe things that are true, and it frustrates me to no end that I can't always determine what is true and what isn't. But I would always rather have a truth that causes me pain, than a lie that makes me feel good. I left Mormonism because IT ISN'T TRUE, plain and simple. And I'm quite offended by the fact that it presented itself to me as true for so long.

For someone who is clinging to the comforting lie to suggest that we're the ones who hate truth is... well, it strikes me as being pretty silly.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 04:49PM

And you can tell her I said that.

Heh.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2015 05:20PM by steve benson.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 04:51PM

I guess that the only thing I'd be able to say is something like, "Show me some evidence that this is the truth. Actual facts. And agree to look at the facts that I show you. Otherwise, please don't quote catchy phrases that obscure what the truth really is."

Because, USN77 has it exactly correct:

"It's pretty easy to prophesy that people who find out you've been defrauding them will be angry about it."

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 04:52PM

The Book of Mormon would have been a lot more interesting if Aaron Sorkin had written it, with characters like Jack Nicholson's Col. Jessup:

"Ye can't handle the truth!!"

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 04:58PM

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 05:17PM

Mormonism defines "truth" to be Mormonism. So if you start
thinking Mormonism might not be true what goes on in your head
is that "truth is not true."

This makes people feel a bit funny at first.

Posted by: InJustice ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 08:30PM

Upset?

Personally I'm not the slightest big upset. Sure I've wasted a LOT of money just sending them the tithing check. But upset?

It's helped me understand what's really going on. It helped me awaken and finally allow me to move further than I would be able to in the church.

Upset?

The only people pissed off are my Bishop, Stake President and maybe my spouse.

Personally I'm glad I had the chance to work there for several years before waking up. It allowed me to see how things work behind the PR machine.

Upset?

I'm ecstatic I was in the church. And now I'm just thrilled to be moving on :D

Posted by: Ex-cultmember ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 08:41PM

Just curious. What did you say?

Date: November 02, 2015 10:28PM

See above. It was a pretty unfulfilling exchange. Not bad or argumentative. Just pointless.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 09:05PM

The Doctrine and Covenant's language for her perception is, "kicking against the pricks." The next time you get angry just remember you're kicking against Prick Monson, Prick Oaks, Prick Bednar, etc. see, there's truth in them scriptures! The Boner.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 12:37PM

What are you talking about truth? Not unless life makes you mad. Then there is only one thing you can do about it. Change THAT. Or your HAT. Or where you're AT. Or your T(ie).

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 12:46PM

It's impossible to be angry with the truth... Especially when you don't have/ know it.

It's thinking you know something as truth/ fact - when it's not - that causes cog-dis, irritation, confusion.

When you let go of the devil/ Mormonism, the anger goes away. It's worth trying... Otherwise you'll never know. The truth shall set you free - from the chains of JSC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2015 12:47PM by moremany.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.