Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 09:51AM

Mine would be;
Not seeing a Spaceship with humans land on the Mars.
I'm almost certain, I won't make it to that day (I'm 61).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 10:01AM

Once I cease to exist, I won't be capable of having regrets.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 11:27AM

leftfield Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once I cease to exist, I won't be capable of
> having regrets.

Exactly :)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 04:02AM

is that since there probably isn't an afterlife, I won't get to see my loved ones who have passed on, ever again. But then, I won't be around to care.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 10:02AM

Not being able to take the tourist cruise ship to Mars.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 10:09AM

Not leaving the Morg sooner.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 05:35PM

ummmm just like it is RIGHT NOW, prior to my exit from mortality

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 10:19AM

Not having a family of my own, and having to put up with listening to others gush about their kids and their grandkids....

People can be so insensitve to those around them who have been denied the good fortune they have enjoyed..They tend to be Very self-absorbed even ....

:-/

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 10:03PM

It IS all about good fortune and random chance isn't it? We like to think that we're in charge and we get what we deserve, but reality is rarely so logical and fair. The Mormon church must have been terribly painful with all it's family natterings.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 10:33AM

That although our paths kept crossing, my g/f and I did not hook up until we were both retired. Thank ghawd there's no ghawd on which to blame this.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 10:40AM

Interesting question. First off, I typically do not engage in regrets (self sabotage). And, I am convinced that we will continue to exist in some form in another realm.
But if I had to choose something I really wanted to do, it would be to reverse some aging and have more mobility.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 10:49AM

Well, I don't believe I will exist in a state to have regrets. But if I could do the "Our Town" thing I'd imagine my biggest regret would be not taking better care of my health in my younger days.

And even knowing that, I don't take the kind of care of it that I should now, knowing that it will make a big difference in my retirement years. However, I am much better at it and more aware than I have been in the past. But now having to juggle diet, medications, exercise that can help or make things worse, etc. it's harder to be as diligent.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 06:16PM

My most intense regret when facing my demise if I get to would probably be not figuring out life, the universe, and everything.

Posted by: baneberry ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 09:14AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My most intense regret when facing my demise if I
> get to would probably be not figuring out life,
> the universe, and everything.

Date: November 04, 2015 12:20PM

My life is complete. I can die now...or later. Preferable later, much later.

Posted by: Blakballoon ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 06:42PM

I can only say what my biggest regret is, at this moment in time..

Choosing to marry in the temple, and so excluding every member of my family, I broke my dads heart :,(

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 07:16PM

That's my biggest regret right now...that my mom didn't get to attend my wedding because of stupid me believing in the stupid cult.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 08:09PM

Was never able to time travel.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 08:12PM

Not as much sex as I'd have liked.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 09:41PM

missing the opportunity for time travel, more sex.......
Life is beautiful....

Date: November 03, 2015 09:56PM

If I were this women, it would be that I was this deep into a religious con job that I wrote this stuff.

http://whatmattersmosttoem.blogspot.com/2015/07/reflection.html

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 09:58PM

The biggest disappointment (which will not matter when I croak) is that we never had answers.

I couldn't go through life trying to accept made up answers that I wanted to believe.

All of life for me was coming to terms with not getting answers to the big questions I have.

As spectacular as life is, and how fortunate I feel to have had a chance to exist at all, I'm still disappointed that I have to die with so many questions.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 09:45AM

I am often saddened that a disproportionately high number of posts on this board promote atheism and/or the belief that we cease to exist after death. I don't think that a 'belief' in athiesm is a road to recovery from yet other beliefs that have been misplaced in our lives. Belief itself is what has hurt so many current and former mormons. Since no one has these kinds of answers about life and death, why choose to entertain such beliefs which serve only to remove purpose from our current lives? Those beliefs lead back to either Mormonism or to depression.

Why not simply 'hope' for a bright post-death future, and leave it at that? In 100 years or so from now, everyone of us reading this thread will either have these answers or we won't. But I know that I will not have spent my lifetime believing that I have no future, whether it happens or not. However big or small, finite or infinite, my slice of life will be filled with hope, happiness, and optomism about the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2015 09:47AM by azsteve.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 10:55AM

Good for you. I'm happy that works for you. I'm sorry you're saddened by the atheism you find here. I tried to force myself to believe Mormonism. It didn't work. My brain very happily arrived at atheism. I refuse to try to believe things that don't make sense to me ever again. Been there, done that.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 06:51PM

I understand what you are saying. I think some of us are wired to think "glass half full" no matter what. Reality can cause angst for many.

I would not want to go through life in a pretend delusion just to make myself hope I get to live forever. I would see through that kind of hope.

I think one of the main roles of religion is to keep the masses from having to come to terms with mortality and assuage their fear. Maybe that is a good thing for many.

I don't know either way what happens, but I know exactly what happens to decomposing brains and bodies.

I will add that the thought that this life is all we have makes it so much more valuable and important to savor every moment.

I regret the time wasted sitting in pews listening to people try to convince each other that they get to live forever.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 09:48AM

That I didn't get to see religion stop being a cancer on the entire planet.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 10:04AM

That I wasn't able to sit down, figure out what I wanted to do, and focus on my education sooner.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 01:14PM

Given recent events in my life, not finding my birth family sooner.

RB

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 01:18PM

That when serving in Jamaica at the end of my mission, I didn't accept the offer to smoke a spliff with Bob Marley's mom, aunts, and cousins when they proposed it as a welcoming and friendly gesture.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 01:41PM

I truly and deeply regret that as a young child, I allowed the conservative jerks in church mold my little mushy mind into being a automaton, doormat conformist.

I buried my creative eccentricity because it was 'different' (the horror!). The twig was bent and the tree grew to look like the rest in the forest.

Given another chance I would be the fRee-spirit that I believe I was really meant to be. I've tried to re-train my brain, but it is like a rubber band and snaps back to the same old behaviors.

The moral: let your kids be individuals! They know in their heart what they are meant to do, let them DO IT!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2015 01:41PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 09:43PM

Thank you for that thought.

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 06:36PM

One thing I wish I had done and it's too late now: dance with my father when he asked me. I was too darn shy. Wish I'd done it.

Otherwise, there are lots of paths life could have taken and I can't try and second guess. My life has been great and I'm hopeful it will continue that way. Just wish I'd danced with my dad at that dinner in Spain.

Date: November 04, 2015 06:53PM

My favorite reply.

Posted by: zarahemhaw ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 07:08PM

Not having sex with that Spaniard in that hostel in London.

Posted by: InJustice ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 07:36PM

Some people have a different opinion than I do.

I've have different experiences.

One of those experiences tells me there is an afterlife but that's a result of my experiences.

Right or wrong, there's no reason not to try to be your best and help others. Especially those stuck in religious dogma. Everyday is a new experience :D

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.