Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 10:21AM

Balls."

The poor Mormons. They never get "any." They want so badly to be human. They never get any of the good stuff like everyone else. No glass of wine or beer with friends. No coffee first thing at work with everyone else. And they say they don't want it but they need it so badly.

I read the Soda Pop thread after it closed and was absolutely shocked at the sexual/alchohol naming of drinks in Mormon Utah,. Thank you Brother of Jerry. It was a fascinating tidbit and I had no idea.

"Hey Tommy. Can I get you a Triple D while I'm out picking up a Dirty Rocky Mountain High for Dallin?"

Reminded me of another thing Mormon's do--or I guess they still do. The "sanitizing" of movies. I was surprised once when my MP/Area Seventy brother's wife said they had their movies fixed to take out the bad language or bad scenes so that they could watch what everyone else was watching. This struck me as wrong on so many levels. If that's the way they feel about the "dirty" scenes" isn't that like scooping a rat turd out of your pudding and then eating the rest?

The Mormons so desperately want to have the same things as everyone else and this has left them just imitating society and using Brand X as they watch everyone else enjoying the real deal.

Mormons are like children with candy cigarettes pretending to smoke, pretending to be cool, pretending to be more hip than anyone. They "play house" rather than living life. And yet their religion has left them with only one choice for a drug of choice---sugar in massive quantities, and personalities to match.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 11:06AM

Brilliant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So true.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 11:18AM

Real life is so... unseemly, thus the Disney obsessions, stunted games like building blanket forts for twenty-somethings...

Some of the Mormon youth are 5-10 years developmentally stunted in many vital ways. They get married and pretend to be adults, since they were serious at church 3 hours a week. Real life happens and many are ill equipped to deal with it. Extra fructose corn syrup please.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 11:55AM

The reason this whole thing struck a chord with me is that I was so stunted from Mormonism, so underdeveloped socially, and even after leaving I wasted so many years before I realized it and tried to catch up to everyone else. Hopefully others are able to get up to speed with society quicker than I did.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 12:05PM

I had no idea about all the soda bars... They are living on the edge, of diabetes... If only they knew about J.S. and Brigham's pretend drinking, whiskey distillery...

What will be the next pretend vice?

All of that needless social anxiety. I'm glad you powered through. You help many people here navigate their way out of the Disney glitter.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 01:06PM

Ex-Sis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Real life is so... unseemly, thus the Disney
> obsessions, stunted games like building blanket
> forts for twenty-somethings...
>
> Some of the Mormon youth are 5-10 years
> developmentally stunted in many vital ways. They
> get married and pretend to be adults, since they
> were serious at church 3 hours a week. Real life
> happens and many are ill equipped to deal with it.
> Extra fructose corn syrup please.

That is such a valid point that I think some of us don't even

understand how socially stunted mormonism has made us. Thanks

for bringing that up. It just reminds me again how happy I am

to be out.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 11:58AM

blueorchid Wrote:

> Reminded me of another thing Mormon's do--or I
> guess they still do. The "sanitizing" of movies. I
> was surprised once when my MP/Area Seventy
> brother's wife said they had their movies fixed to
> take out the bad language or bad scenes so that
> they could watch what everyone else was watching.
> This struck me as wrong on so many levels. If
> that's the way they feel about the "dirty" scenes"
> isn't that like scooping a rat turd out of your
> pudding and then eating the rest?

As of five years ago, this is common practice in Mormon Cardston, Ab. I was stunned when I found out. Rather extreme, and a definite case of attending to the letter of the law while clearly violating the spirit of the thing.

> Mormons are like children with candy cigarettes
> pretending to smoke, pretending to be cool,
> pretending to be more hip than anyone. They "play
> house" rather than living life. And yet their
> religion has left them with only one choice for a
> drug of choice---sugar in massive quantities, and
> personalities to match.

Well said, and exactly. Sugar: what a shitty high to get you through life, with so many nasty side-effects too.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 12:38PM

blueorchid Wrote:
> And yet their
> religion has left them with only one choice for a
> drug of choice---sugar in massive quantities, and
> personalities to match.

Keep sweet.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 12:59PM

That's true, Mormons aren't allowed to become actual adults, and the only drug of choice they have left is sugar. As they're also not allowed to see R rated movies or do other adult things, they get so obsessed over anything Disney as that's one of the few things they're allowed to enjoy as entertainment. As for the names of the different soda drinks, to me they remind me of when kids start to cuss just to freak out their parents, and so they can feel more "grown up."

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 01:14PM

My TBM friends and relatives brag about their cleanflix movies with violence and language edited out.

I laugh and say "So its a silent movie ten minutes long?"

They don't seem to get the humor.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 04:28PM

Gladiator and get rid of all the 'bad'--the bloody, etc. I guess there isn't "sex" so it doesn't matter?

My parents never limited our movie watching. We chose. My dad drank and chewed tobacco. So I was raised different. I just remembered he didn't like my brother smoking. Now that makes sense NOT. But my parents didn't make us live all the rules of mormonism. One being tithing. I never paid tithing until I had a job.

I do find this obsession with dirty drinks quite funny. What I love are their cuss words. My daughter used to cuss worse than any of the rest of us UNTIL she became TBM. One of her favs is "son of a biscuit." She doesn't drink the dirty drinks either. I don't know if they've really hit Logan yet. Anyone know. I may not have noticed as I'm "older" and don't get out much!?!?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 04:03PM

The thrilla from sarsaparilla.

Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 12:52AM

I remember it used to be a big thing for people to buy those VCR's that would edit out the bad words (pretty primitive.. would just stop the sound, and have subtitles, minus the bad part). Anybody ever watched that movie by Halestorm? Can't remember if it was Singles ward or a different one.. but the main guy was aggressively selling the 'filthy filter'. Used to be super trendy lol. Those Halestorm movies were always pretty funny. They poked fun at a lot of Mo stereotypes (green Jello, naming your kids after BoM characters, using lame replacement swears, driving minivans, etc.).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.