Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PryMaryCullars ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 04:48PM

I think the year I was born was the best year possible for me. I don't envy those older than me, and I am so glad I am not in the dating game anymore.

Look at this garbage.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/nation-wimps/201510/the-mating-game-is-changing-and-you-wont-believe-how

Now, do you wish you were born BEFORE, SAME or AFTER the year of your birth? Why?

I was born with one foot in the slow, delicious past, when mothers stayed at home and baked bread, cookies and roasts.

I am still young enough to have children, but I sure don't envy what they will live through.

Our world has become so ridiculous. Music is a formula. Food is a scam. People have veneers. Leaders are insane. Sleep has become the only authentic treasure anymore.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/nation-wimps/201510/the-mating-game-is-changing-and-you-wont-believe-how

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 05:12PM

PryMaryCullars Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Our world has become so ridiculous. Music is a
> formula. Food is a scam. People have veneers.
> Leaders are insane. Sleep has become the only
> authentic treasure anymore.

Love it. I guess I am glad I was born but I could never judge the when about it.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 05:28PM

Hard to say for sure, but being born at the end of the baby boom, I feel like it was harder to get a job because the group ahead created a glut of workers. And now that I'm getting older, the boomers ahead of me may also strain resources such as social security, Medicare, assisted living places, nursing homes and such. I should probably get on a wait list now so I have a chance in 20 years.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 05:33PM

Well, it's not like I had any choice in the matter...
I'm glad I was born, because I get to live. The when -- eh, who cares?

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 07:03PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> Well, it's not like I had any choice in the
> matter...
> I'm glad I was born, because I get to live. The
> when -- eh, who cares?

^Same.

Posted by: SpaceAgeAtheist ( )
Date: November 07, 2015 01:30AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> I'm glad I was born, because I get to live.

And yet you support abortion on demand. Cognitive dissonance at it's finest.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 05:38PM

In this reincarnation Yes!

But life in past reincarnations was ok just many fewer 'modern gadgets' ----- but a much more slower, more peaceful lifestyle from what glimpses I saw.

Posted by: phoebe64 ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 05:56PM

I love the time I was born in. I would love the time I was born in I think no matter when that was. I am an optimist at heart. People are always meloncholy about the time they grew up in. How much "better" it was and how much worse it is now and how the young people are lazy and the world is going to hell.

Even Socrates felt that way. “The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.” ― Socrates

"I was born with one foot in the slow, delicious past, when mothers stayed at home and baked bread, cookies and roasts." Well not all of them liked to do that. I am greatful I am in a time when I don't have to if I don't want to.

I think the world is better than it used to be and will keep getting better. When you start pondering how "bad" things have gotten here is a list of how "good" it's gotten. Of course this is subjective and open for debate. And of course this is in the United States where I live.

Women, blacks, gays, minorities of all persuasions have most rights then ever before in the history of man.

There has not been a war between world superpowers in 70 years.

The internet that allows sites like this and thousands more.

Electricity for that matter.

Travel to distant parts of the planet at a moments notice.

More knowledge about how our universe works than mankind could have even conceived of even 50 years ago.

This list could go on and on if I wasn't at work.

Oh, one more - being able to hop on this site from work and tell you all how wonderful I think life is.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 06:05PM

My father said I was born with a worried look on my face. How did I know?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 09:08PM

I watched my last child pop out. He had a worried look, but then he passed gas and his face lit up!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 06:06PM

PryMaryCullars Wrote:
I don't envy those older than me,

You will be that age eventually, regardless of when you were born.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 06:06PM

I was born as penicillin became commonly used, but I wish I had better dentistry back then.

It was good to be just a year ahead of the baby boom. The surge in population didn't affect me, and I had less competition for school, housing, jobs.

I think those of you born more recently than WWII are going to see a lot more of the problems with climate change, and I don't envy you that, or the destruction of the middle class.

But since WWII, none of us has seen a really horrific war or famine or depression. Thank God for small favors.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 06:07PM

It has worked out okay so far.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 06:11PM

As it worked out, yes I am.

RB

Posted by: sportsguy ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 06:20PM

I was born in the early 70s, so there was decent technology, but I have got to see it increase. I LOVED being able to grow up in the 80s, and wouldn't trade it for anything. I went to college in the 90s before the Internet boom, and am glad I had to do things "the old way".

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 06:44PM

Wish I was born a year or two earlier so I would not have to be included as a Baby Boomer and be constantly reminded by headlines how old I am (First Baby Boomer Turns 40, 50, 60 etc till the last one dies). I don't like being lumped with everyone else born in a 20 year time span, many of whom I have nothing else in common with. Other than that, never thought about it. I do worry about the world my grandkids will inherit.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 06:48PM

Just as well be. There is NO OTHER option

Posted by: Lumberjack ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 08:39PM

I am very pleased that I was born when I was. I was able to spend most of my pre-teen years in the 1960's. A very interesting time to be alive.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 08:52PM

I'm just happy I was born in a time when didn't have to use any of these ridiculous products for women's "health and beauty":

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/selling-shame-40-outrageous-vintage-ads-any-woman-would-find-offensive/

Posted by: Q ( )
Date: November 07, 2015 05:37AM

Holy shite!! They actually used Lysol as a douche back then??? It's a wonder his and her lower Units didn't corrode and fall off!!! Yikes!

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 09:04PM

For the sake of argument, I'll say no.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I was born into this era as opposed to, say, any time before the industrial revolution. I'm stoked that I get to experience the internet, smart phones, iPods and all the other great tech we've got nowadays. Though I wish I could still be around when we invent even greater stuff, like true virtual reality or androids. I think it's coming, but I'm not sure I'll be alive to see it, which is a shame.

But I'd like to think that, some time in the future, whether it's 100 years or 10,000 years from now, humanity might finally shed its need for superstition and actually live in the HERE AND NOW. Atheists won't have such a strong stigma attached to them because the numbers might be reversed -- imagine if 80% of the world's population were atheist while only 20% still cling to outdated belief systems. Better yet, imagine NO RELIGION! That would be my "paradise."

I tend to feel I was born before my time. But maybe that's just arrogance.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 10:16PM

One of the advantages of being born where and when I was, is the very long life I've lived has taken me through the advent of so many inventions, improvements and technology. My life as a child and the life of my grand children are very different. They have no way to relate to much of my early childhood.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 07, 2015 01:05AM

If I had a choice about the matter, i'm sure I demanded electricity, indoor plumbing, and cars.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 07, 2015 01:39AM

I feel almost any time to be born would have been great. The underlying wish is that if you had known things then what you know now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.