Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 01:04PM

I've not been active for 3 years and I've never previously been that bothered about resigning.....but this latest stance from TSCC makes me feel that I no longer want any association whatsoever with this hate organisation. Even just having my name on their records now feels that I somehow condone their bigoted behaviour. I suspect a resignation email will be produced over the weekend.

How many more exmo's, NOMs and others will be finally pushed over the edge?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fci ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 01:10PM

Told my TBM wife last night this is the last straw for me... I've been living the "when in Rome" life with no commitments to the cult to hold the family together. Interesting when I told her, she seemed quite disturbed, not about me, but about this new policy....

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 01:12PM

I was out with my TBM wife and several other TBM's last night that know that I'm not a believer. One of the women read about this announcement on her phone and told everyone about it. All of them were surprised that the church would make such a statement. They brought up that they thought 8 was the age of accountability, and wondered why a kid with straight parents can make that decision, but a kid with gay parents can't. I don't think any of them broke, but I witnessed all of their shelfs crack. It was awesome.

Posted by: cupofjoe ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 01:12PM

I'm one of those strange NOM that knows the big C church is a fraud but loves his little c church community. I currently serve in the stake and hold temple recommend. (probably shouldn't, but a little game of "yes, yes, no" solves a lot of social problems)

But I think my whole family might resign this weekend. Because it is a lot easier to discount all the crap that happened 100 years ago and all the crap that currently happens to adults then it is to discount this crap happening to children.

I'm not sure why this feels bigger than women and the priesthood or the rejection of gay marriage.

But it does to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 01:13PM by cupofjoe.

Posted by: Ohdeargoodness nli ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 04:31PM

cupofjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...it is a lot easier to discount
> all the crap that happened 100 years ago and all
> the crap that currently happens to adults then it
> is to discount this crap happening to children.

+1,000 to this. I can sort of get passed all JS' crap, but TSCC is just plain toxic after this announcement. I feel slimy that my name is on their records. ☹️
>
> I'm not sure why this feels bigger than women and
> the priesthood or the rejection of gay marriage.
>
>
> But it does to me.

Let's us hope so!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 01:15PM

I am not surprised by the policy of not accepting children of same sex marriage for baptism. The LDS Church is not alone in not accepting same sex marriage in their religion. Probably the largest is the Catholic Church.

Here is a little overview.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/07/02/where-christian-churches-stand-on-gay-marriage/

Because religious organizations can decide their own dogma, requirements for membership etc. they can accept or exclude anyone they choose.

The LDS Church can explain it any way they choose, and those that do not accept the position may find it necessary to find a religious organization that does. There are several.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 01:15PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: November 06, 2015 03:58PM

Are you turning apologist on us? They can do whatever they want, but that doesn't mean we can't mock them for it. It's hard to respect them when they claim that 8 is the age of accountability for children of straight parents and 18 for children of same-sex couples.

Any children of gay parents that want to be baptized would likely be joining because they feel strongly that the church is true. You can't say that for most 8 year olds with TBM parents.

Posted by: liberal mormon ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 05:24PM

Not sure where you have been....SusieQ#1 has always been a bit of an apologist for Mormonism.

Date: November 06, 2015 09:22PM

liberal mormon Wrote:
> Not sure where you have been....SusieQ#1 has
> always been a bit of an apologist for Mormonism.

That's completely not true.
I have never been in anyway any kind of apologist for Mormonism.
I'm just not filled with hate like some are!

I'm for EQUAL RIGHTS for everyone. Always.
Again, I'll make my position clear:
I would like to see every organization, church, etc. accept everyone regardless of their differences.
I'd like to see every church marry same sex couples, accept and baptize their children and accept them as full members. I will continue to hope for that day. I doubt I will life that long, however!

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 04:36PM

Suzie,

it might be painful for you, but try to give me a one word answer to this question.

Does the catholic church allow children of gay parents to become members?

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 04:54PM

No, Susie. Not this time. The Catholic church doesn't forbid children of homosexual parents from being baptized. You absolutely cannot make this comparison this time to normalize Mormon bigotry and pass it off in a lah-dee-dah casual manner of "well, OTHERS do this."

The Mormon church is disgustingly WRONG on this.

Date: November 06, 2015 09:14PM

kestrafinn

I have corrected my comments as I found a recent statement by Pope Frances that encourages priests to baptise children of gay couples.

Again, I'll make my position clear: I would like to see every organization, church, etc. accept everyone regardless of their differences. I'd like to see every church marry same sex couples, accept and baptize their children and accept them as full members. I will continue to hope for that day. I doubt I will life that long, however!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 09:15PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 01:15PM

I think it's the second to last straw. The die hards like my family won't be fazed. Showing they can take anything the church dishes out is still their number one priority.

Posted by: OctoberSurprise ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 04:05PM

There are a lot of good reasons to leave the Church. But how is their policy on same-sex couples the final straw? A lot of religious organizations hold similar positions.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 04:09PM

This is exactly why I resigned, as opposed to just being inactive. I did not want my name associated with this bigoted organization.

If I hadn't already resigned, this would push me over the edge.

Does this mean that if my gay friends marry, their children will lose their membership?

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 04:14PM

It was my last straw.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1709640

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 04:18PM by levantlurker.

Posted by: Ohdeargoodness nli ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 04:37PM

Posted by: fakemoroni ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 04:22PM

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 04:41PM

This is the very thing that should get people questioning and leaving, but it won't. The fear of losing their salvation, even on the slight chance that the church is true, will keep them muttering in silence, and soldiering on.

Posted by: fortheloveofhops ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 05:04PM

In my opinion salvation/exaltation is worth absolutely nothing if you have to exclude or hurt other people (or condone such behavior) in order to achieve it.

I know many believers don't see it that way. But when I was threatened with losing my salvation over leaving the church due to its racism, that was my response. What a worthless "salvation", to achieve the highest level of heaven at the expense of others. Making it to such an afterlife would be more like hell.

Date: November 06, 2015 04:45PM

Again, I'll make my position clear: I would like to see every organization, church, etc. accept everyone regardless of their differences. I'd like to see every church marry same sex couples, accept and baptize their children and accept them as full members. I will continue to hope for that day. I doubt I will life that long, however!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 05:03PM

Your position is that the policy refusing LDS membership to children of gay parents is reasonable.

My position is that that position is revolting. Most of the world outside Mormonism, and apparently a goodly portion of those inside Mormonism, seem to be agreeing with me.

Date: November 06, 2015 09:11PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Your position is that the policy refusing LDS
> membership to children of gay parents is
> reasonable.

No. I never said any such thing. Read this again.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 06:18PM

Your position is very clear - you feel other churches do this, so it shouldn't be a big deal that the Mormons do.

Name the other churches specifically which punish children overtly for their parents' lives?

Name the other churches that require grown children to write off their parents in order to join.

And then name why such churches (if there are others beyond the LDS) should be considered acceptable in any way in our society.

This is evil. Pure and simple evil. And the Mormon church, and all of these other supposed churches you claim do this, deserve every bit of scorn and condemnation thrown at this.

Date: November 06, 2015 09:12PM

kestrafinn (not logged in) Wrote:
> Your position is very clear - you feel other
> churches do this, so it shouldn't be a big deal
> that the Mormons do.
>
NO... I never said any such thing.

Again, I'll make my position clear:
I would like to see every organization, church, etc. accept everyone regardless of their differences.
I'd like to see every church marry same sex couples, accept and baptize their children and accept them as full members. I will continue to hope for that day. I doubt I will life that long, however!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 05:39PM

Is this their version of Kristallnacht? According to FAIR, Bishops are not only to excommunicate married gay couples, but also gays living with their partners.

Sorry, I'm not going to wait for the knock on the door. I resigned after decades of thinking I had no reason to resign.

http://blog.fairmormon.org/2015/11/06/a-look-at-the-churchs-new-policy-on-children-of-gay-couples/

Date: November 06, 2015 05:52PM

It was the last straw for one couple in the ward here. They already weren't believers, but they were active, both had callings, three young kids, etc... She just posted on the ward FB page that they're done!

Maybe the church wants the NOM's out of the church. Can't have people teaching that aren't fully indoctrinated, that know too much, that might teach anyone to think differently. They want a core group of diehards that would die for them, have a dozen kids for them, and shelter and indoctrinate their kids for them. It's their last hope.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 06:31PM

I think this is the real challenge for LDS, Inc. Not the TBM's but the reasonable young socially connected couples who just don't want to be part of such a hateful organization. As more LDS youth find nothing wrong with gay individuals they will find this type of policy distasteful.

For those members that still believe in God, or those non-members that believe in God, let's stop blaming Him for all the discriminatory positions of Mormon leaders.

Sad.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 09:02PM

The problem with orthodoxy is that if you trim too much fat, you become so small that now cares about you.

A committed, hardcore church of 1 million members isn't enough to run Utah, let alone be noticed in the US.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 06:36PM

"I've not been active for 3 years and I've never previously been that bothered about resigning.....but this latest stance from TSCC makes me feel that I no longer want any association whatsoever with this hate organisation. Even just having my name on their records now feels that I somehow condone their bigoted behaviour. I suspect a resignation email will be produced over the weekend." -
FINALLY! This is what I've been saying for years. Don't be associated with this EVIL SLIMY CULT in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM EVER AGAIN. Have some pride and have an IQ higher than 12. DUMP THE CULT NOW and tell everyone to do the same!

My goal is to see the complete end of the CULT by the end of my life time. Please resign and don't let them continue to exist. They don't deserve to exist.

Posted by: JJ ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 06:42PM

I have a friend who is gay, fought and hid it for eons (even trying "straight" marriage where she had one biological child). She now has been with the same partner for many, many years. She (They) raised all her babies to be Mormon, attended weekly herself, pays a full tithe, sent children on missions and has a son who is a bishop. (She raised children who were abandoned by their biological "loving" parents, by the way, and raised them as GOOD people instead of leaving them to fend for themselves in a broken system or on the street). This decree has rocked her to the core. She loved being a Mormon; it has been her identity since she made peace with the contradictions of who she is and her Mormon testimony by believing God, who made her, would figure it out and explain it to her someday. Mostly she mourns for her innocent children, and if they choose the church, they must also abandon their mother(s). Last straw for this true believer. I have not believed for years, but she is truly devastated by this hateful decree.

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 09:07PM

A friend of mine dated a young man who was raised by his biological mom and her female partner. He was baptized in High School and went on to serve a mission. He loved his mom who has since passed on. I hope he sees the evil in TSCC.

Posted by: veghead ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 09:16PM

I've been an official non-member for 3 years, but am still seeing red because of this. If I hadn't left then, I'd be running now. Absolutely infuriating.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 09:20PM

It's the last straw for me. I've been totally inactive for 7 years and really on the fence about resigning. But I don't want my name associated with this organization anymore. I am a staunch supporter of LGBT rights and I won't sit by and watch this homophobic behavior.

So I've enlisted the help of a certain lawyer in the community and will be resigning ASAP. I'm so done.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: November 06, 2015 09:24PM

Although no one in their right mind would want to belong to the cojcolds, the brethren have done themselves in. Rejecting innocent chidren is evil. The cojcolds is evil. Mormonism has always been at odds with the rest of society, but now they are just plain evil.

Stick a fork in them. They're done.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.