Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 12:21PM

In one thread, someone asked if Mormons have a sense of humor. Yup. They sure do.

Please add your stories.

I'll start with this one:

Sometimes a little humor lightens the mood of a dull, repetitive temple session.

Many years ago, I attended the temple with a group from our Ward. One of the ladies was a very small spry (probably about 80 yr old) widow, who had recently lost her large built 90+ year old husband.

She arrived with us at the temple, carrying her matching suitcase with the temple garb. Remember those!?

When she opened it, she realized she had her deceased husbands suitcase!

With a little chuckle, she remarked that she probably gave them the wrong suitcase for her husband's burial, and she wondered if he was buried in her temple clothes. (Not likely as those are different - but she probably didn't know that.)

Not to be deterred, she put on his one piece men's garments! She didn't have quite enough temple outer clothes (robes etc.) in her size, so one of the matrons brought some for her.

The three of us women, who knew what happened could barely keep our faces straight through the session knowing she was wearing her deceased husbands, very large, men's garments, which she later remarked were more comfortable than her own!
We didn't dare look at each other or we would start snickering!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 09:51PM by SusieQ#1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 12:25PM

My brother pulled the wig off the old lady in front of us during Sac Meeting. That was funny!

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 12:29PM

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 01:26PM

This makes no sense to me. Didn't she have a pair of garments on when she came into the temple?

Date: April 19, 2011 01:54PM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This makes no sense to me. Didn't she have a pair
> of garments on when she came into the temple?

Probably, yes, she did. However, many members often changed into the set they kept clean, along with the other clean temple clothing in their temple suitcase.

It was common to change from "street" clothing to "temple" clothing from the skin out. I often did the same thing, unless I forgot to put a clean set of garments in my temple suitcase.

I don't know if others did this, but we usually did.
The idea was to change completely from street clothing to temple attire.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 01:58PM

But that was back in the good ol' days when you got naked in the temple and had sex. Of course you would want a clean pair back then!

Date: April 19, 2011 02:01PM

DNA Wrote:
> But that was back in the good ol' days when you
> got naked in the temple and had sex. Of course you
> would want a clean pair back then!

DON'T YOU WISH!! LOL

Actually, before two piece garments,(prior to Dec. 1979) the official garment for the temple was a full body garment: to the wrist, to the neck with a collar, and to the ankle. I used to rent those as I didn't own any.
This was the one used for all ceremonies in the temple.
It was the one put on the person by the temple attendant after the Washing and Anointing ceremony. It often had ties up the front.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 04:04PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: April 19, 2011 04:39PM

I wore garments prior to the two piece and they were exactly like today's two piece in terms of length of sleeves, etc. Also, I went through the temple (SLC) prior to Dec of 79 and we were instructed to purchase our own new garments and bring them with us. After the W&A we put these garments on -- our own new ones out of their packaging. I've never heard of any other way.

Any other people have experience with this?

Date: April 19, 2011 04:46PM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
> I wore garments prior to the two piece and they
> were exactly like today's two piece in terms of
> length of sleeves, etc. Also, I went through the
> temple (SLC) prior to Dec of 79 and we were
> instructed to purchase our own new garments and
> bring them with us. After the W&A we put these
> garments on -- our own new ones out of their
> packaging. I've never heard of any other way.
>
> Any other people have experience with this?

In the 60's and 70's we wore the one piece LONG garment in the temple. I had to wear it when I was sealed (married) in 1961. I rented all of the temple clothing as I didn't own my own.

Later, they accepted the regular one piece or two piece day/night garment for the temple ceremonies.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 05:44PM

Well, they would certainly have better temple attendance if that were true... (the having sex part)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 05:45PM by AngelCowgirl.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 03:56PM

The two-piece garments came out in December of 1979.

Date: April 19, 2011 04:04PM

imalive Wrote:
> The two-piece garments came out in December of
> 1979.

I'll accept that date and correct my date. I couldn't remember the exact date.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 05:30PM

In the 50s, when I was going to the temple, you were required to wear the "temple garment" during the endowment. Most people had their own, in the suitcase with their other temple clothing. It was to the wrist and to the ankle, one-piece, open in front, small collar, and with four ribbon ties in front. You took it with you to the washing & anointing booth (which everybody had to go through, every time), carrying it with your white towel (to dry off the water and oil).

All changed now! What would Isaiah think? They have "changed the ordinances"! (24:5)

Date: April 19, 2011 08:05PM

RPackham Wrote:
> In the 50s, when I was going to the temple, you
> were required to wear the "temple garment" during
> the endowment. Most people had their own, in the
> suitcase with their other temple clothing. It was
> to the wrist and to the ankle, one-piece, open in
> front, small collar, and with four ribbon ties in
> front. You took it with you to the washing &
> anointing booth (which everybody had to go
> through, every time), carrying it with your white
> towel (to dry off the water and oil).
>
> All changed now! What would Isaiah think? They
> have "changed the ordinances"! (24:5)

Yes, I described some of that as that was my experience in the early 60's. I told how I had to rent a dress which was a nurses uniform (probably donated) that went to the knee with the white hose over the white garment to the ankle! What a sight we were ~!

Date: April 19, 2011 09:39PM

It's so good to be able to laugh about it now. But the very idea of renting communal underwear creeps me out big time!

Posted by: george ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 05:33PM

I wore the old, single piece, full body type (with ties rather than buttons) back in the fifties. Boy was it great when the new patterns came out. It was even greater when garments came off my stud body forever (ha).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 05:34PM by george.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 06:01PM

... it obviously isn't humor.

When it takes the better part of a thread to explain a "joke" ...

I still don't "get it"

Classic example of cult humor?

Timothy

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 09:46PM

Okay, these don't need explaining:

the Bishop who wore his brown socks through the session.

The Bishop who grabbed his neighbors apron along with his own and tied it on. The Temple Workers had to stop the session and go get another one down stairs because they didn't see the 'missing' apron on the guy! Apparently when they were changing from left to right they'd laid their aprons on the same seat back. (The robes get tied to the left, then later switched to the right and you have to re-tie the apron on over it all)
Oops I bad..... I still had to explain it!!! LOL!

Posted by: andrea32 ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 09:10AM

An old lady in our ward died during sacrament meeting. It was right after the sacrament and she just...sort of leaned over dead in one of the pews.

My dad is a doctor and he and a few people carried her out to the lobby and laid her on one of the couches and covered her with the sacrament cloth thing until the ambulance came. I guess that's not really funny though...

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 09:46AM

I always felt like I was dead.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 10:18AM

If I remember correctly, taking the sacrament was like renewing your baptism covenants. If that's true and she had the sacrament then wouldn't that make her sinless?

Just asking.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 09:30AM

Once during sacrament meeting, Sister Toomanykids was giving a talk. She always had a suckling child and while giving her talk the baby started crying out in the audience. This triggered a lactation episode and we all watched with chins on the floor as the front of her blouse turned into a wet t-shirt contest.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 10:48AM

My wife, myself and our first child at age 2-3 are sitting in church waiting for the scarament to be blessed and passed (very low noise moment).

My son decides to stand to get a good view of the p-hood holders playing with the pretty white sheets at the front.

Then for the first time ever puts his hands down his pants and explaim in a rather loud voice "I have a PENIS!" He was an early talker and would ask a lot of questions about various things.

Not only did most people hear it but the two people in row in front of us are missionaries. My wife just got up snatched the little man by the waist and proceeded to giggle all the way out the door.

Anubis

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.