Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 10:42AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 11:08AM

Trying to relax in a cruddy Comfort Suites hotel room in Cookeville, TN, deleting all TBMs numbers in my phone, email addresses, Facebook. And I mean every one of them except 2 that have never, ever judged me.

Good riddance, assholes. You deserve the mormon church.

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 02:54PM

Whatchya doin' in Cookeville, TN? :-)

I am about and hour and half from you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2015 02:54PM by Slumbering Minstrel.

Date: November 08, 2015 02:56PM

I work in the SE

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 03:01PM

Cool. If you find yourself in Nashville some weekend let me know! We can grab a coffee.

:-)

slumberingminstrel@gmail.com

Date: November 08, 2015 03:03PM

Typically I weekend in Memphis, but every once in a while it gets changed up.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 11:15AM

Remodeling again. I have most of the hardwood floor down in the living/dining room. Going to finish nailing it down today. If there is time I will also replace all of the outlets and switches.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 11:20AM

Scrubbed the bathroom floor, repaired some kitchen floor trim. Dusted the vintage hardwood floors of cat fuzz. Damn cat fuzz. Why do I have a cat? Probably because she's my friend. Sometimes an annoying one, though.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 11:34AM

Hang out. Clean, ExMormoning, watch Netflix, and later visit TBM relatives (and hoping they don't say something stupid about the new policy- otherwise I may be having a big fight).

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 12:16PM

Trashing the Mormon cult on Facebook.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 01:08PM

Just finished breakfast, coffee, etc. Fixing a ham to go into smoker. Having some friends over this afternoon. Good times,,

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 02:05PM

Good times indeed. Enjoy!

Date: November 08, 2015 02:08PM

I sliced up some vegetables, sautéed them, and made a wonderful veggie omelette for myself.

Is it true that today is Fast Sunday?

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 01:30PM

Today I am deliriously happy that I am doing ANYTHING other than attending that church.

Even working. At least I work from home on Sundays and can do it in my pajamas.

So, anyway, I'm working today, as every Sunday. And drinking the devil's drink--yummy, yummy coffee.

Oh, and unfriending several mormon FB "friends" who I haven't heard from in a couple years and am sick to death of seeing their "Our church is so wonderful" crap.

Happy Sunday to all :)

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 01:38PM

I'm drinking coffee, and plan to get some shopping done at some point.

Posted by: tomthumb ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 01:40PM

I'm continuing building a rabbit run for the 2 rabbits my kids want for Christmas. Fun DIY project and a bit of family time, perfect. :-)

Oh and some netflix and wine later before it's back to the grind.

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 03:43PM

Training a new hawk to hunt rabbits. Don't tell the kids.
Are there any other exmoe falconers out there?

Posted by: okie ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 01:46PM

My wife and I went to a place in Ogden called Slackwater Pizza. They have the best beers, fantastic food, and tasty coffee

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 02:12PM

Same as always: enjoying a quiet, peaceful day at home!
It's a lovely day, clear, and balmy. No wind yet.
It's very quite, usually, where I live. I love it.

So much happier now that I am not bustling off to go to a church meeting where I am either bored or sleepy and wish I was doing something else.

Date: November 08, 2015 02:30PM

It's nice here too.

I don't miss that uninspired "Consolidated Schedule" one little bit. It's got to be the worst idea ever implemented in the LDS church, as far as the sheer unhappiness it causes.

Posted by: veggirl ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 02:24PM

went to the coffee shop with the little, studied some Math for the GRE, going to do some tidying up and then go to my no mo parents to look at old pictures..tired today..

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 02:34PM

at a Barnes and Noble's in Idaho Falls sipping coffee and trying not to cry. I don't know my own family anymore.

Date: November 08, 2015 02:56PM

((Hugs)) sorry Cold-Dodger.

Date: November 08, 2015 02:59PM

I don't understand how everyone I know was so quick to sign off on this policy. I just made some blog posts and plastered them all over my Facebook. Everyone thinks I've gone nuts, but they didn't even know about this change until three days ago.

Date: November 08, 2015 03:02PM

They are in deep and are sheep. My family buys into this bullshit too. Please know that people here like you and care about you. I'm so sorry you are hurting. I hope some day soon the cult implodes.

Date: November 08, 2015 03:33PM

It isn't even the policy updates that are doing it all to me today. It's seeing how quickly my family took the church's side over something that ought to be obviously unjust.

It's like... all the prejudice of the past suddenly became understandable. From Brigham Young to Kimbal to now, I suddenly understand how this bigotry works. I've seen it. The prophet says whatever bigoted and ignorant thing he pleases, and the members are on it like flies on shit talking about how great it tastes and how evil anyone is who disagrees.

And how quickly it happened! Overnight, practically. It's like the 24 hours of silence after the leak were calculated to create maximum cognitive dissonance and then out comes Christoferson, their savior in million dollar lighting, to give them what they must think to resolve the cog dis. Problem solved. They see a justice in it now. Oh, the a brethren are so good and so inspired.

Now, nothing short of boycotts and public outrage will get them to change their mind, and they still might not. I understand it all now. I understand how they can be so bigoted and not perceive it, how they can be so wishywashy and feel so stalwart, how their prophet can flip flop and they see continual revelation and are blind to the social pressure that made it happen.

It's a horrifying phenomenon and it has my family.

Date: November 08, 2015 07:53PM

It is horrifying that the people we love can't see what we see. Maybe someday they'll see the truth.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 12:05AM

Cold-Dodger,

Pal, I do have an idea of how you must be feeling.

I originally came to this board while trying to figure out how my Mormon relatives, who were my true family when I was young, could change so totally and horribly during the Prop 8 fiasco. One day they were loving, kind, tolerant people who kept me sane in the terrible years of having to live with my more immediate family, who were immensely cruel.

And then, seemingly overnight, the Mormon church rolled out their big opposition campaign and my relatives swallowed it, hook, line, and sinker. They went around trumpeting about evil this, disgusting that, end of society, destruction of all that is good. I tried asking questions, tried showing them articles, tried everything I could think of. Did no good at all. They were on a witch hunt and everyone who disagreed with them was, by definition, a witch.

It was stunning.

When this new issue appeared, I was sure that as soon as they could, the PR department at TSCC would roll out some mindless attempt at damage control. And the poor, brainwashed members would grab at it, as that was the only way to get rid of the cognitive dissonance. And so much easier than to actually stop and think about the facts behind the situation.

So here's my best suggestion. Put together a little portfolio of the things that show Christofferson and the others to be misleading the members. Just do it for something to do. But keep it, so that one day, if you happen to get the chance, if they ever do ask, you can show it to your family. And help them understand why it bothers you, and all of us, so much.

If you want help with it, let me know. I'll send you the links and thoughts that I have. But mainly, the idea here is to do something that might possibly be constructive, some day. And even if it never gets used with your family, you will be ready for any and all others. It may be busy work, in one way, but it will also be a useful thing to have worked completely through. Someday, it might save you from saying, "Oh, why didn't I think of that when I needed it?"

And, at the very least, it will be better than crying. You can cry, too, but I've found that sometimes, it's easier to heal if I work furiously at something while I grieve.

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 04:38PM

Cold-Dodger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It isn't even the policy updates that are doing it
> all to me today. It's seeing how quickly my family
> took the church's side over something that ought
> to be obviously unjust.
>
> It's like... all the prejudice of the past
> suddenly became understandable. From Brigham Young
> to Kimbal to now, I suddenly understand how this
> bigotry works. I've seen it. The prophet says
> whatever bigoted and ignorant thing he pleases,
> and the members are on it like flies on shit
> talking about how great it tastes and how evil
> anyone is who disagrees.
>
> And how quickly it happened! Overnight,
> practically. It's like the 24 hours of silence
> after the leak were calculated to create maximum
> cognitive dissonance and then out comes
> Christoferson, their savior in million dollar
> lighting, to give them what they must think to
> resolve the cog dis. Problem solved. They see a
> justice in it now. Oh, the a brethren are so good
> and so inspired.
>
> Now, nothing short of boycotts and public outrage
> will get them to change their mind, and they still
> might not. I understand it all now. I understand
> how they can be so bigoted and not perceive it,
> how they can be so wishywashy and feel so
> stalwart, how their prophet can flip flop and they
> see continual revelation and are blind to the
> social pressure that made it happen.
>
> It's a horrifying phenomenon and it has my family.

This is brilliant commentary. I feel the exact same way. Thank you!

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 02:51PM

I am spending the afternoon at home taking it easy. I was suppose to work this afternoon but I haven't been feeling well the past few day's so my boss let me have the day off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2015 02:56PM by kativicky.

Date: November 08, 2015 02:57PM

Feel better soon!

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 03:24PM

I'm roasting a pork sirloin and a big ole butternut squash for dinner.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 03:38PM

Slept in real late. Have some reading I need to do for an online class I am taking. Enjoything the queite with my furry ones. All 3 of us cuddled on the bed, with that fall chill in the air outside.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 04:10PM

Waves were small but perfect shape. Weather could not be nicer, blue skies, gentle breeze, clear water.

Posted by: soulsearcher ( )
Date: November 08, 2015 05:11PM

Today my husband and I resigned from the church. Thought it would be a great thing to do on a Sunday.

Date: November 08, 2015 06:39PM

Nice!!

Date: November 08, 2015 07:53PM

+1

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 12:24AM

If my wife is sick during the week, we have a nanny on call, plus her parents relish any opportunity to take the children off our hands or even to watch them here. If she's sick on a weekend, I really try to manage myself without outside help. It was nice that I was off and could meet all my family's needs this weekend. I didn't get a whole lot done, but the children are clean and fed and happy, and the house is relatively in order. Wife has had all of her respiratory therapy and meds. Babies are getting sleepy and will go to bed soon.I'm ready to relax.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 12:40AM

Slept in with my loving nevermo hubby. Enjoyed a carefree morning making a delicious breakfast together of bacon and open faced omelets with grilled onions, garlic, cheese and grilled veggies. Went out to a fabulous lunch with my sister, relaxed, enjoyed the beautiful fall cool weather here in the bay area and then did some shopping together. Never even thought of church. Perfect day.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 12:51AM

Climbed a mountain, skyped with my kid, went shopping, and worked a bit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.