Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: escapedfromzion ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 06:34PM

Just a thought. Isn't one of the temple recommend questions "Do you associate with known apostates" or something to that effect?

Now imagine an active LDS, temple-going member answering that question if he/she has a close family member (e.g. an adult son or daughter or a sibling) who is now labeled apostate due to the new gay marriage rule? Is this policy going to require such people to disassociate from members of their own family in order to be temple worthy, so their family can be forever? Talk about opening a can of worms.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 06:40PM

"Do you support, affiliate with or agree with any group or individuals whose teaching or practices are contrary to or opposed to those accepted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?”

I think that question is concerned with attending or having a membership in groups who disagree.

However, the "or agree with" should give many pause, if their bishops ask it as written.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 07:04PM

More shunning

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 07:16PM

It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually require members to completely cut off communication with any apostate family members.

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 08:14PM

Ha! Just imagine, in some families, if that were the case, there may be one TBM in a family of twelve that has no one he/she can associate with. Then it would be like the Hare Krishnas or Moonies who are not allowed to associate with their families.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 10:51PM

formermollymormon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually require
> members to completely cut off communication with
> any apostate family members.

My very TBM mother related an incident concerning this...

She and my step-dad were "called" to do senior mission at SLC Temple Square. In the interview for that calling, she was asked that question. She told the Stake President (doing the interview), "Well, my son left the church 30 years ago, and my daughter about 10 years ago. I associate with them, I love them, and neither of them are fond of the church at all."

Apparently the SP thought for a moment, then asked, "You're not going to follow them out, or start sinning like them, are you?"

"No," my mother replied.

"OK, you're fine then."

Sigh.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 02:10AM

for more than a decade (me) but the church still considers him to be a member. Just how serious can it be???

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 08:37PM

Well, we scary apostates are all a lot angrier than we were last week, gay or not.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 09:56PM

I live in Utah so back in the day when I cared, I always answered this question as: "I vote Democrat, does that count as a contrary to the LDS Chruch." Sometimes I got a laugh and other times a weird look and just moved on.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 09:59PM

I don't think that is going to be a problem with the general membership of TBM's who want a temple recommend. The church has not punished people from family associations with those that may be apostates which used to be concerned mainly with polygamous families and believers and part member families. Adding cohabiting, married gays to the apostates won't change that, in my view.

The LDS Church needs the tithing from temple recommend holders. My guess is they will be as lax as usual with the questions unless something is clearly blatant.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 11:45PM

My doctor, dentist and pharmacist are all TBM but probably don't know I am an ex-mormon and enemy of Mormonism....whatever.

RB

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: November 10, 2015 12:56AM

I am not exactly sure how the rule about associating with apostates works. Me, my sister, and my mother are apostates. My TBM father still associates with us. Does that mean the bishop could be a jerk and take away my father's temple recommend?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 10, 2015 03:25AM

David O. promised the feds he'd ex all polygamists and their sympathizers to stop the bad publicity of that time.

It didn't work and now no one remembers what the question is about.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.