Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Charee ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 06:19PM

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2015/11/11/mormon_anti_gay_apostate_policy_forces_thousands_to_leave_the_lds_church.html

The news coverage is essential. I hope my family will wake up and recognize the indefensible actions on this organization.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2015 06:21PM by allpau.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: veghead ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 06:30PM

"Because leaving the LDS requires certain legal proceedings..." Not true. Otherwise, a good read. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 06:33PM

veghead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Because leaving the LDS requires certain legal
> proceedings..." Not true. Otherwise, a good read.
> Thanks for sharing.

I have no idea what "legal proceedings" could be involved! Don't know of any.
Thousands of people have been sending a letter or email with their: name, date of birth, and address stating they have resigned their membership to the local bishop/and or church headquarters and as soon as it's received, they are no longer a member.

That has been established by law some years ago.

Posted by: veghead ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 06:40PM

Indeed. That is the method I used to resign.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 07:20PM

Sending in a resignation letter is a legal proceeding, meaning it is a transaction that courts recognize and will enforce if LDS Inc gives you trouble.

As a counterexample, a temple recommend is not a transaction recognized by the courts. If LDS Inc denies you a TR, you can't haul their asses into court.

I would call resigning a legal transaction rather than a legal proceeding. "Proceeding" sounds like a court appearance. Also, you don't need to resign to leave the church, but you do need to resign to end your membership. Whoever wrote the article was guilty of some pretty sloppy language.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 06:38PM

"Naugle said he has 1,400 resignations already in the works, and the Facebook event for Saturday has almost 1,000 confirmed attendees."

This is why I'm against the idea of protesting the church's policy change or boycotting Mormon-owned interests. I'd rather just sit back and watch thousands of members resign over it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 06:40PM

randyj
+1

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 07:05PM

If this lawyer is handling 1400 cases himself, and most people have probably never even heard of him or feel that special services are required, I wonder how many more resignations are just coming straight into LDS church offices.

Posted by: Spirit Name: Simeon ( )
Date: November 12, 2015 12:53AM

> I'd rather just sit back and watch
> thousands of members resign over it.

Same here. I love seeing the Mormon leaders get hit in the wallet, the place it hurts them most. I'm making popcorn.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 06:44PM

O/T
With all the resignations (of inactives as a possible majority) the local ward/stake leaders are happy that this will improve their stats to SLC. This will make it look like they have a greater percentage of activity vs. inactivity. Yup, if their stats look better, they must be doing something right. (sarcasm)

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 06:55PM

That's a good a reason for not resigning.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 07:01PM

I believe there are thousands more we're not hearing about who will be or have resigned as a result of the church policy.

These ones are only those who'll be attending the mass resignation, and the others who needed some assistance of the local attorney volunteering his services.

There are far more who simply write in on their own, from wherever they may be, anywhere in the world. Those who e-mail or snail mail their resignations in are also going to be in the thousands, and I predict there will be more of the long distance resignations than those taking place in downtown Salt Lake by personal attendance.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 07:07PM

Yay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our actions speak louder than their excuses for this pile

of hypocritical excuses and lies. They lie, they hurt ,

we leave.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 08:32PM

I personally know of 7 close friends who have washed their hands of this cult. I'm the only one who has bothered to send in resignation.

The vast majority will simply say "oh screw u guys" and stop going.

Can u imagine how empty the pews will be in 10 years? And the remaining members are going to be some genuinely weird assed motherfuckers.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 11, 2015 10:39PM

"And the remaining members are going to be some genuinely weird assed motherfuckers."

Ah, yes, the Very Elect. They are going to be the most stuck up humble people ever !!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 12, 2015 11:34AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "And the remaining members are going to be some
> genuinely weird assed motherfuckers."
>
> Ah, yes, the Very Elect. They are going to be the
> most stuck up humble people ever !!

These are the people who mistake a testimony for a personality and it shows.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: November 12, 2015 10:33AM

"And the remaining members are going to be some genuinely weird assed motherfuckers."

It's already kind like that now. You are spot on my friend..in 10 years..empty and crazy.

Posted by: CowboyUp ( )
Date: November 12, 2015 09:55PM

A Cult is an orginazation that won't let you leave with your dignity intact.

Posted by: asleep ( )
Date: November 12, 2015 10:33PM

I don't quite understand the enthusiasm regarding the number of resignations here. Even if 5,000 people resign due to the church's "policy", that's a drop in the bucket. That means that(conservatively)5,000,000 active members remained. Don't get me wrong; I appreciate that the backlash is noteworthy. But to keep it in perspective, it's an blip on the church radar.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 01:07AM

... WHY they're leaving and the massive publicity this is getting. People on the outside who used to think the Mormon church was a family-oriented, somewhat-eccentric-but-innocuous religion, now are understanding that it is a hateful cult that has simply managed to disguise itself fairly well over the past few decades.

Posted by: IdahoBanana ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 12:53AM

Yep. I'm with the previous poster. I was going to type "I'm with asleep" but that sounded so weird.

Even at that rate - if it continued - it would take 19 years for numbers of actives to dwindle to nothing. And these rates usually dwindle after the initial outrage dies down. People only stay active based on emotional response for a short amount of time.

But who knows? If they keep upholding this policy, it's probably only a matter of time until they start banning children of murderers, rapists, convicted felons, and apostates from baptism.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 01:14AM

thousands? WOW - does anyone have any idea of how many have resigned since the policy was announced?
the world over?
In the US?
In the Morridor?

Remember that we are shooting for 15 million to resign so we can't let up for even one second.

"Can u imagine how empty the pews will be in 10 years?" - please don't say that. It can't last 10 more months let alone 10 years. Keep up the constant pressure ExMos. We have more power than we thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2015 01:17AM by verilyverily.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: November 13, 2015 07:43AM

I hope that 4 of those empty pew seats were occupied by my TBM daughter and her family.

If we concentrate on WHO is leaving, rather than how many, it seems more encouraging. Let's help our loved ones break free!

Members keep having babies, and I don't see any babies or 8-year-olds resigning. Newborn babies are the cult's #1 source of new members.

We're going to the mass resignation. Where's the rule that says we can resign only once? I plan to resign every year, to celebrate my first resignation. Like renewing your marriage vows. Nothing's wrong with that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.