Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Abigail ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 02:46PM

How do we get the media to start asking the right questions about church membership numbers? Someone needs to ask the church about how they count inactive members. If the people who resigned this weekend hadn't been active for many years (according to the church) and it's no big deal losing them, were they important enough to be counted in the membership numbers previously.

I think it is time for the church to be accountable for how they count their membership.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sharapata ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 02:51PM

It's not just that, but the real question that has never been fully answered or addressed by the Church is if resigned members are still included in the membership statistics with the resigned member records just flagged in some manner. My gut tells me once a Mormon always a Mormon, in the Church's view.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 02:56PM

Yes. If they took us off the stats now, it would be more work to put us back on after we die and are rebaptized. They're just eliminating the extra steps.

Posted by: cognitivedissonance ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 03:22PM

I used to watch with fascination the McDonalds Marquee. Each Marquee had a tally of #'s of burgers sold. When I first noticed it, the numbers were in the millions. "10 million sold". Then 20 million sold. Then 50 million and 100 million. The numbers marched up it reached "1 Billion Sold", I was jubilant. It was almost jubilant to see it. I was excited to be part of that progression. It was almost like a challenge to help that number grow.

But then, in contrast, the progression changed. To my disappointment, the next billion became "Billions Sold". The end of a long progression of counting came to an end. Soon after I stopped buying their burgers. They weren't that good anyway.

Suddenly I saw another progression I could follow. The church! Over the years, the progression was exciting. In time, I realized, the burgers the church sells are starting to weigh heavy on me. The empty calories are killing me.

Now I grow tired of counting. The count they give us doesn't reflect the reality of the numbers. Besides, the product the church is selling is tasteless and tiresome. Good Riddance.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 03:30PM

How many of us would be surprised if a study showed that the majority of active members believe that mormonism is the fastest growing church in the world?

Remember, most of us live with the meme that statistics can always be pushed into any shape the statistician desires.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 03:54PM

The Mormon Church today is much like a charging Rino. The creature has been fatality shot and will soon die, but is too stupid to realize it.

Absolute numbers are meaningless. The fact that "Micky D's" has sold billions of burgers doesn't mean they are any good. Quantity and quality are too very different things. What good does it do to baptize tens of thousands of third world poor, under-educated converts who will not be effective lay leaders nor provide sizable tithing donations which is required to maintain the existing top heavy Mormon pyramid structure? The growth years have long since passed and the Mormon Church, like McDonald's, is now experiencing a slow and painful death from which there will be no recovery.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 06:01PM

You can apply the same thing about McDonald's to movies at the box office too. Just change it to box office totals 's and the quality of movies.

Date: November 15, 2015 06:04PM

Agreed!

Date: November 15, 2015 06:07PM

One has to ask: "If the Mormon Church is true, why the need to lie about the number of members?"

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 04:26PM

The LDS church is the only one that has no criteria for membership beyond once having been baptized. Pretty much all other organized churches require at least sporadic (typically annual) attendance in order to count someone as a "member." Keeping everyone on the rolls until they turn 110 is also a transparent (and desperate) tactic to inflate the body count.

Just publicizing this fact should get people questioning (including TBMs who never realized how they get those high numbers).

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 04:30PM

You can ask all you want. The answers to your questions will be all lies so why bother?

Elderolddog - "the majority of active members believe" - virtually whatever the CULT tells them to believe. Pathetic isn't it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2015 04:34PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 05:54PM

As I've mentioned before, I once attended a Presbyterian
congregation's annual "business" meeting. Anyone could attend.
A sheet of information (including a financial summary) was given
to all attendees.

One of the items on the sheet was the number of people dropped
from membership because they've been inactive for a year.

If Mormons didn't count anyone as a member after a year of
inactivity what would the Mormon numbers look like?

Clearly one can't compare Mormon membership numbers with
Presbyterian membership numbers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.