Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 07:29PM

For well over sixth years, I have collected a significant number of "evidences" for reincarnation, but I only share them with those who are open to the possibility. I don't even bother to discuss reincarnation with individuals who reject the concept out of hand. In the early eighties I became a Certified Master Hypnotist so I could personally regress individuals to past lives. Contrary to what some have posted on this thread, past lives can be recalled and are often verifiable. I speak from personal experience.

What a professional hypnotist like myself does is much different from the carnival acts commonly witnessed at county fairs. Individuals are placed in a true trance state which is ascertained using depth of trance tests developed at Stanford University. I have never caused nor would ever want anyone to make a fool of themself. I personally feel it is most demeaning and creates a bad name for hypnotism which is really a very powerful method to directly reach the unconscious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 07:34PM

Well I dunno but evidently a thread on RfM can be reincarnated.

Posted by: freedomatlast ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 07:42PM

This has always been an area of interest for me. I'd love to learn more about it.

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 07:53PM

I find the idea very attractive, but I don't really believe in reincarnation.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 07:53PM

Does anyone have stories to share?

Date: November 19, 2015 07:55PM

Literally dozens of books giving that are available on Amazon.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 07:54PM

He spent much of his life studying reincarnation and was one of its biggest supporters. However, his methods are roundly criticized for lack of objectivity and scientific rigor:

"There are several problems with Stevenson's method. He often worked with translators in countries about which he knew very little. Questioning anybody is tricky, but questioning children is especially tricky. 'Interviewer bias is the central driving force in the creation of suggestive interviews' (Bruck, Ceci, and Helmsbrooke 1998; quoted in Mills and Lyon: 303). Questioning children and adults via a translator introduces another element of uncertainty regarding the bias of the questioning technique. Most of the interviews took place in countries where reincarnation is an accepted belief. So, the translator would be 'typically imbued with the cultural expectations that past-life recall is a valid phenomenon' (Mills and Lynn: 303). Stevenson, being non-fluent in the language and the culture, was in no position to assess the reliability of the questioning by the translator.

"There is also the obvious problem of confirmation bias. The ideal, according to Stevenson, was to seek out PLE stories and then try to confirm them. Failure to confirm, however, did not count against the reincarnation hypothesis. In fact, nothing could be discovered using Stevenson's methods that could ever disconfirm the reincarnation hypothesis. Many scientists would consider this a fatal flaw in his methodology."

http://skepdic.com/stevenson.html

(Read the entire entry at the link above for greater perspective on Dr. Stevenson's work.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 07:55PM by lurking in.

Posted by: Gone girl ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 07:54PM

Templar where do you do these regressions. I'm am interested.

Date: November 19, 2015 08:09PM

I haven't done any in a while. Individuals are not as interested as they were in the golden days of the New Age (1980s - 1990's). I satisfied myself that in most cases past lives were actually recalled and didn't really have a need to continue doing them.

There are practitioners out there that still do past life regressions, but make sure if you go to one who is professionally certified and clearly knows what they are doing. The last thing you ever want to do is get involved with a used car salesman who just read a couple of paperbacks on how to hypnotize others. Hypnotism is very powerful and in the wrong hands could be truly disastrous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 08:10PM by Templar.

Posted by: Amarron ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 08:01PM

I tried it once...tasted pretty much like milk, but not all of the particles dissolved like they should. Better if its cold. Good on cereal.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 08:02PM

Sorry I missed the other thread.

Definitely reincarnation exists. I have posted a meditation in the past that will provide 'willing people' a chance to see their own past lives without paying for a hypnotist. But since few tried it I will not repost here.

I have seen 3 past lives and one particularly interesting. I was a American indian that lived close to the plains (to hunt buffalo) and close to mountains to hunt (deer, elk, moose, antelope, etc). I seemed to be in charge of the hunting parties when young but not sure what I did when older. Also, have been a member of the clergy in Europe in a small church in a village in the mountains where lumber I believe was the primary business involving most villagers.

Based on my glimpses through meditation, my mom was my current wife and I was married to one of my current granddaughters. I only saw lives, so far, where I was a male but do believe we change sexes and relationships for 'experiences'.

So yes reincarnation of the soul, breaks to study past lives and plan for future lives in between in 'spirit world', soul groups stay together for longer times until some advance faster/slower with additions and subtractions frequently, we have spirit guides to help us now, we progress through 'experience' and killing and being killed can just be an 'experience' not necessarily evil or wrong. Also, yes we can reincarnate in a number of different places in our Universe and in different dimensions and others can come from other places to reincarnate here on Earth.

Earth is 'hot' right now because of all the 'experiences' we have on this very uncivilized world.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 08:05PM

According to ancient Sumerian cuneiform tablets resurrection was genetically denied homo sapiens. This concept is controversial and it would be my position that those who choose to believe this concept are entitled to their beliefs. So reincarnation as opposed to resurrection? It would depend on your concept of reincarnation. As for me I see no empirical evidence for either concept. NOTE--- I M H O!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 08:08PM by desertman.

Date: November 19, 2015 08:14PM

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 08:42PM

Although I have posted about these before here on RfM, perhaps this is the time to post them again...

Several people very close to me, plus me, were regressed by Kathleen Jenks (who, some years ago, moved a couple of thousand miles away from the condo where she used to live, on the Pacific Ocean in Ventura County, California).

When she regressed me and the people whose regressions I witnessed, she had regressed---if I am remembering correctly---more than a thousand people over the prior years (facilitating regressions was how she was paying her way through graduate school at the University of California Santa Barbara, where she received her PhD).

As I have posted before, my sister is among the LEAST historically-oriented people I have ever known. (She is plenty intelligent...Master of Science degree from the University of California San Francisco, and a long and successful career as a medical professional...but she is just NOT very much interested in history unless it is of personal interest to her, like the history of some relatives in our family.)

So, my kind of historically "challenged" sister gave several HOURS of accounts of two different lifetimes:

The most unusual was a lifetime in a place and a time that she had no knowledge of, because---as it turns out---she thought (and really believed) that she was THE last human being on Earth. In that life, she had been living in a "village" culture in some VERY prehistoric time, and one day she went up on a mountainside to gather food, and while she was up there, a flash flood came through and wiped out her entire village and everyone who had lived there. She had no knowledge of any other living human being who existed (she thought she and her village were the "only" people who existed), and she eventually died from loneliness because she thought she was the last person there was. (She said that she did have adequate shelter and enough food...she just couldn't take the loneliness anymore and she kind of just laid down and decided to die---which she did.)

But that was just a warm-up, because the INCREDIBLE (at least to Kathleen and me) lifetime was the next one (and remember: my sister is NO history buff!!!)...

My sister was male. She was a soldier. She lived in a barracks. She dressed a certain way. She had a wife and family, who lived some "distance" away, but still close enough where s/he could sneak out of the barracks at night and get her wife pregnant. There were a few other details she was effortlessly relating, but by about this time, Kathleen and I BOTH knew (we were signaling each other silently, with our eyes, as this was going on) that my sister was in ancient Sparta, and she was a Spartan soldier. It was "You Are There...In Ancient Sparta" for us, and Kathleen asked her question after question, and my sister's answers were immediate and spot on to what both Kathleen and I knew to be true of Spartan history and culture. Kathleen and I both learned a LOT that afternoon.

One of the things that bewildered us, though, was that my sister kept repeating, at every possible opportunity, that the (horse"brush" helmet ornament) on HER helmet did NOT go [from top of nose vertically to the back of her head), but from here-to-here [as she gestured from the top of one ear, up across her head to the other ear]. Obviously, this was VERY important to her, but the repetition was getting to us---we were interested in lots of things OTHER than the helmet decoration she wore!!!

That night, I spent hours going through every book on ancient history I had, but ALL of the helmet "decorations" went from top-of-nose to back-of-head...except that finally, after many hours, I came across a photograph of an ancient Greek statue---a Spartan warrior...and HIS helmet decoration went from ear-across the top of his head-to ear. It was an officer's insignia---and three thousand years later, more or less, my sister was STILL incredibly proud that she was a Spartan OFFICER. :)

When my husband was regressed, he related a time in early English history after the Roman occupation, where he was living with his mother (his father had died), as a very poor farmer...so poor, they were literally dying of starvation. In desperation, he signed up as a mercenary for the Roman army (because those who signed up received an immediate payment for signing up of a small bag of coins, so he and his mother could buy food), but then learned what it was like to have to slash people to death (especially his fellow countrymen), and he deserted during his first battle...running away to a distant hill, and then, sometime after that, he died when he was starving again, and a giant wooden wheel rolled over him because he was too weak to get out of its way, so he received injuries that he fairly quickly died from.

Back to Kathleen: She said that, of all the people she had regressed, only a handful ever related lives where they were any kind of famous people at all (and, of these, some of them were minor characters: relatives of someone famous, etc.)...but in one of them, the person was indeed a famous person in history, and because of the nature of the details this person related in their regression (including things not well known to the general public, but historically verifiable), Kathleen did believe that this particular person actually HAD been the famous historical individual whose life she was relating.

When you are regressed, you DO feel that you are "there," but you are simultaneously aware of "here" and "now"---when I was regressed the first time, there were kids on the other side of Kathleen's common wall with their condo who were bouncing a ball against the wall as I was being regressed, and I could also hear both the waves coming in on the beach outside of Kathleen's back door, and the cars passing on the street where her front door was. I was simultaneously "there" and "here" at exactly the same time, and BOTH were "real."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 08:51PM by Tevai.

Date: November 19, 2015 08:53PM

Contrary to popular belief and what is "witnessed" at county fair hypnosis shows, a person under Hypnosis is NOT UNCONSCIOUS NOR ASLEEP. They are in a state of heightened awareness where the conscious mind can be set aside allowing the unconscious to come to the fore. These is no other way known that permits direct access to the unconscious excepting certain drugs which are difficult to control.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 09:21PM

I haven't been able to be hypnotized as an adult, or even a child.

Believe me I tried. I was/am resistant to the suggestiveness of hypnosis.

I have witnessed however an entire class of junior high schoolers placed under hypnosis during an assembly when I worked for a junior high school prior to starting college.

Those kids were out like light bulbs. Whatever the hypnotist told each one they'd do, they literally did after they were awakened from their sleep. It was a group hypnosis. They went out at the same time. And were awoke at the same time. Each did exactly as they were requested when they were asleep, upon awaking. If they weren't asleep, they sure looked like they were. Their heads rolled sideways with their chins resting on their chests, most of them anyway.

Then at the end of the assembly, he brought them out again completely, so they wouldn't be left in a daze.

That was the only real case of actual hypnosis I've ever witnessed, and it was a group of students all at the same time.

If I tried to do that I can't be hypnotized. I don't know why. My brain won't let me be put in a trance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 09:22PM by amyjo.

Date: November 19, 2015 09:31PM

Well we have that in common Amy. Numerous attempts to hypnotize me have all failed. I don't doubt that it works for others but it always left me disappointed.

Guess I'll never know who I once was.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 09:33PM

I believe in reincarnation. I would like to find out about my past lives. I had a memory about a house in SLC that my mom said I couldn't have. I was only 3 years old at the time. We went to this house near south temple and before we even got past the front door, I told my mom everything about the house. Whatever happened in that house in a previous life was not real bad but disturbing somehow.

I know my dad was reincarnated. It was one of the thing he fought with his bishie about. My dad had memories that couldn't be explained any other way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 09:51PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 09:40PM

But there are so, SO many problems with it. I've posted about it once or twice, but what happens when you get a hundred or so people all claiming they were Cleopatra, King Arthur, Gwynyfar, Abraham Lincon and so on? I'm aware of the Buddhist concept of the water in a cup, but really, it all sounds so New Age spacey-casey with a lot of people when they get to telling you about their past lives. A lot of people don't want to believe that their past lives could be ordinary because then how could they feel special now? And yes, this is from real-life experience hanging out with many, many New Agers, pagans, and metaphysical touters. Different areas, same spchiels, lol.

But I like the idea of it and don't think it's something that can be proven, even on an anecdotal level.

For fun though, I had a past life regression done and the reader told me I was a Chinese concubine in a past life that bore a son to an important man, possibly even the emperor. Good times, I guess? :/

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 09:57PM

Buddhism is anything but NEW AGE. It is around 2500 years old. Most Buddhists don't believe that they were someone famous in a past life.
Just wanted to clear that up.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 10:13PM

Notice how I didn't put Buddhists in with my sentence about experiences with other believers of reincarnation . I've known very few Buddhists and they're nothing like the New Agers I've met when it comes to reincarnation.

Date: November 19, 2015 11:05PM

You are correct there was only one 'spirit/soul' involved with each 'famous' person.

But, this is not what 'reputable' reincarnation people believe. I have studied various subjects around this for a year and never heard this BS.

During past life regressions/medium/channeling sessions you can get these type of people to 'come through' but they should not be confused with the person undergoing the regression...

Any books that infer many souls/people were the same famous person are just wrong, wrong, wrong!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 09:45PM

At some early point in the time line of Homo Sapiens Sapiens existence, there were literally only dozens of humans alive. Today there are more humans alive than at any time in history.

Where are the new spirits coming from? Who is creating them? Do they get created as needed or have they always existed?

Date: November 19, 2015 10:31PM

I will try this question but haven't specifically asked that question. However, based on my readings and experiences this is what I believe the answer is.

Have to leave the Mormon and Christian beliefs behind here. Who said all 'souls' are the same age ----- they are not. Creation is continuing by God. Remember we are what I consider energy-spirit (no gender) that I will call souls.

The equation is God>Souls>Spirits (personalities, us). Also Souls are not limited to 1 spirit.

I have no idea how many millions/billions of souls are scattered throughout the Universe. Just because there were a few homo sapiens on earth ---- is insignificant. We are not just homo sapiens throughout the universe. And I believe includes plants and animals also that can and do advance through experience to higher levels.

Hopefully, numbers should not be an issue as they can be created by God or Souls, advancement, movement around the Universe, etc. etc.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 09:58PM

I am fascinated by stories of reincarnation especially children in India, for instance, that have been verified.
I like to think it's real, possible, and a choice.
I've never been hypnotized or experienced anything like it.
I have had vivid dreams and a sense I knew something that I couldn't figure out how I knew.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 10:16PM

What a failure of imagination here! How come nobody was a flea in a former life? A bed bug? A marigold? An amoeba? Who decided they don't get to reincarnate?

I know for a fact that Groot was a General Authority in a former life.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 10:53PM

I hold the opinion that anything is possible. Some things are way less possible than others, but I ain't ruling out anything, including reincarnation.

One event that startled me unexpectedly was the first time I ever rode a horse. I was 21 and went to Sundance with a girlfriend who wanted to go horseback riding. I was completely unfamiliar with all things equestrian.

When I climbed into the saddle, a feeling of being in a very familiar, comfortable and comforting place washed over me. It felt like I was doing something that was as natural as walking or talking. I was home, in a manner of speaking.

Never forgot that feeling.

Date: November 19, 2015 11:12PM

Bingo! That is a normal feeling for someone with a past life experience.

I have only had one of those type experiences but had no clue why and so didn't document it or remember it that well ---- it was in meeting someone in California.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 10:55PM

Right now, there are more people alive than the sum of every human who lived before us but who are no longer alive. So there not enough total past lives for everyone alive today to even have one other past life. And a majority of the past lives would be of those who have most recently died. Statistically, very few people could have lived past lives as Ancient Native Americans, or Ancient Roman soldiers. If a significant number of people could ever remember several past lives, that would mean that those past lives are taken. So most of us can't remember a past life because for us, it didn't happen. At the rate of current population growth, maybe everyone alive could get one or two more lives before the planet is filled to the brim with people. By then, the planet could not sustain for them, enough future generations for them to experience reincarnation even once. Unless that is.... you get your own planet somewhere else.

Date: November 19, 2015 10:59PM

Asked and answered above!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 11:10PM

Ok, your first sentence is way off the mark. Current estimated world population is 7.3 billion. Total number of humans ever alive is estimated at more than 100 billion.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population.

That's ok. Reincarnation, like the ability to fly, exists solely in people's brains. The main difference is that some animals actually can fly. There is no evidence outside of feelings that anything ever reincarnated. And feeling are an unreliable determiner of truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 11:12PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.