Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jack Spence ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 12:32PM

Would any of you agree that TBMs tend to be idiotic, narrow-minded, mean spirited elitists?. Most of them have no knowledge when it comes to many things such as medicine, mechanics, or they seem to never be well-informed. For example, I was talking to one of my TBM friends about Isis and the attack in Paris last week and she didn't seem to care or know what Isis was. I'm not basing my viewpoint on one person, I've just noticed that many TBMs I've encountered seem to have similar attitudes towards serious things in the world. I used to believe the BoM was true, but I don't think so anymore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 12:35PM

I actually have close family members who WILL NOT watch any news or read any newspapers lest they hear about the bad stuff going on in the world. Oh, they are a delight with dinner conversation.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 12:46PM

In the world not of the world.

Therefore block out anything that does not directly pertain to dogma from the top.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 12:50PM

Trademark of a cult. Focus on the church. Spend all your free time on callings. Pay no attention to what's going on in the world. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 01:16PM

While all the rest of us are involved in living, the saints are all involved in what happens after dying. We're all just too short-sighted to understand.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 01:45PM

I disagree that they are idiots as a group. I think of my brother and his wife, who are both very intelligent people. But I see it more as just being too busy to look outside their circle. They have extremely busy church lives and a large and busy family as well, and endless house cleaning and repair work due to having a large family, and from what I have seen, these things that are close to home simply take up ALL their time and attention.

Promoting large families is a great tool for the LDS Church. It simultaneously grows the church while keeping the members so occupied that they don't have time to think.

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 06:27PM

Mehhh, God's in charge, His ways are mysterious, yadda yadda...

Sometimes I think religious people can be the most callous people ever. :(

Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 06:55PM

They're many things, but not idiots. Most people on this board were there once, and we weren't idiots then just as we aren't now.

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 06:59PM

I feel I was an "idiotic, narrow-minded, mean spirited elitist" in my church days, but I can see your point, too. :)

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 08:07PM

The excellent movie 'The Manchurian Candidate' is about deep brainwashing which occurred when the soldiers of an army unit were held as POWs.

The protagonist, played by Frank Sinatra, comes to realize that the men in his army unit had been deeply brainwashed when they all make the identical untrue statement of one of their fellow soldiers: "Raymond Shaw is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life." Actually, they all despised him.

Almost all TMBs repeat the same rote statements: "I know the church is true", "I know the Book of Mormon is the word of god", "I know Joseph Smith was a true prophet", even though these statements and similar repeated ones can easily be shown to be untrue.

Again, clear evidence of deep brainwashing.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 08:24PM

When it comes to the latest terroristic acts all the majority of the TBM have to say is: "You know this is a true sign that we are living in the last days, we know why this happening" - But besides their chanting they have actually no clue of the backgrounds, what ISIS is and stands for and why we really have this flood of refugees in Europe.
They're so narrow-minded that they need to search for shallow explanations that fits their shallow view of the world. Everything else would probably cause another crack on their faith. Thats why they put their heads in the sand like ostriches and waiting for any -no matter how stupid - explanation of their authorities. (See policy changes) If they start to think for themselves it may end up in a waking up. They're are not idiots per se but like all of us once: brainwashed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2015 08:29PM by newnameabigail.

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 09:10PM

"A true sign that we are living in the last days..."

The Mor(m)ons have said that an awful lot about a lot of things.

I think that "the last days" are really like a carrot on a string dangling in front of a donkey's face, hanging from a fishing rod that's tied to the donkey's neck. Whenever the donkey moves forward to take a bite of the carrot, the carrot moves in lockstep away from the donkey, always and forever out of its reach.

Likewise, the end times will always be close at hand, but never quite within reach. And they always had been ever since the rise of Christianity.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 06:43AM

Ironically JW's will use terrorist attacks as a sign of the last days and that Satan is in control with those under his influence doing his will and yet they believe their God will ultimately win out and murder 7 billion non JW's in Armageddon anytime soon.

Yes, JW's actually believe that. I always ask them how are they going to clean up 7 billion dead bodies after Armageddon, because they are taught they will be doing the cleaning up. lol

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 06:47AM

sounds like fitting punishment for a cult religion that rivals MORmONISM in terms of STUPID.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 06:49AM

yes, MORmONS are idiots, and I have a very fitting name for idiots of that variety......

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 07:25AM

To be fair I think there are people like that in EVERY group.

But yes, in my experience an abnormally large percentage of Mormons I've met have been narrow-minded and especially elitist -- especially Utah Mormons. There's just something about the Morridor that seems to magnify all the bad traits, I dunno.

I mean it's the "only true church" and its members are so special to have found the truth, right? So Mormonism basically teaches and encourages elitism. Kind of sad, IMO, especially since it's NOT AT ALL TRUE.

Come to think of it... each ultra-TBM penishood-holder believes they'll become gods themselves if they're good enough. Doesn't that kind of make Mormonism ideal for narcissists and megalomaniacs? Interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 07:26AM by oneinbillions.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 08:23AM

Jack Spence, this is why you should always avoid Mormon Doctors as a rule. Mormons are so intellectually inferior it amazes me they can even tie their own shoes. Even the shoes with Velcro straps.

Mormons are scary uneducated and a real special kind of stupid. I'm yet to meet another group of people who argue from the point of absolute fiction and will then hate on you because you have facts on your side.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 08:23AM

If they do take notice, they often wait for Sunday to see what other Mormons think before they will venture an opinion .

Posted by: DWaters ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 08:43AM

ISIS SCHMISIS!!! What about those evil gay people?!?!

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 09:17AM

There's also a fair percentage of idiots who as ex-mormons post on this board.

They may have left the church but their mentality is still the same.

They see the world in absolutist terms. It's only their way or the highway. They make no allowance for deviation, or room for tolerance of other viewpoints.

Small and narrow mindedness knows no boundaries apparently.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 09:28AM

From this thread it looks like bigotry and narrow mindedness can be found in exmo boards just as much as LDS foyers.

I know Mormons who fit the description you provided, but I know a lot of other people who fit it too. Conversely I know a lot of open minded and intelligent Mormons who don't fit your description.

I think that what you are describing is fundamentalism. Fundamentalists of any religion or political creed have a similar head in the sand approach to the world. The LDS church has a lot of fundies, but it has a hell of a lot of doctors and PhD scientists and artists and musicians too.

Posted by: kdj ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 11:05AM

I don't believe that idiots is the correct term. A more appropriate description is shallow. I served with two very intelligent men in the bishopric, but their knowledge of things outside of the church and their medical specialities was pitiful. Neither they, nor other intelligent people I associated with in church read or studied anything outside of the prescribed readings mandated by the church. There is simply a lack of intellectual curiousity about anything outside of the stritures of Mormonism. As some have described this state of being, as knowledge that is an inch deep and a mile wide. I was fortunate in that my wife is an engineer and MBA and she always subscribed to Scientific American, and I enjoyed reading fine literature and studying history. So when I could finally make my break from Mormonism, I had base upon which to build. However, I cannot judge, becuase there was a time when I was just as intellectually stunted about the church as any other member. It takes a great deal of effort to break out of the cacoon where all thinking with regard to life, politics, and all other aspects of our existence is fed to us in simplistic and unrealistic terms. It is forcefed to us from birth. So, I'm loath to express my judgments too harshly, because I too was once there. Now I proudly proclaim that I have three years of religious sobriety.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.