Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 03:04PM

Today in church I was told that if we are struggling with some gospel principle, or something the brethren have said, we need to test it to see whether it is true or not. For example if you don't believe in tithing, try paying your tithing and see what blessings come, to find out if it's true.

Lately I truly have been struggling with the churches policy regarding blessings and baptisms of children of gay parents. I work with kids as a living, in fact I have a childcare center. So i think kids are the best. Therefore any policy involving kids is going to get my attention.

My whole life I have been taught that baptism is an essential saving ordinance, I have also been taught that Jesus said to suffer the little children and forbid them not. I have also been raised that men will be punished for their own sin and not for Adams transgression.

But this policy, is it about LOVE or is it a knee jerk reaction to ssm rulings?

How do I test that this is from God? I can't just go and have a ssm, my wife would be furious...what to do? What to do? Tried praying about it, but it still seems wrong in my gut.

Then it occurred to me, I have the PERFECT place to TEST the policy. I own a childcare center. BRAVO.

Baptism is an essential ordinance to get into the Celestial Kingdom. Food is essential to the survival of a child. I have decided that I am going to do a little test.

Anytime, I determine that the child has parents who live in a ssm, I am going to deny the kid food until they are 18. They will be able to continue playing with the other kids in any activity, and will be denied nothing...nothing will be lost to them. All I will require is that they disavow their parents marriage arrangement at 18, and they can have all the snack crackers they want.

Then after doing this little experiment, if I feel good inside, I will known that the leadership truly was inspired in this policy, and it was about love.

Isn't, if you think about it, baptism a saving ordinance MORE important than food?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2015 03:08PM by ultra.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 03:20PM

The phrase "I have been taught" is what jumps out at me like a sore thumb.

The question is, have you ever thought about things yourself? What qualifications to the people have that have taught you these things in the first place? I'm talking about the more fundamental questions:

about God, prayer, baptism...

I think you're scrambling for truth about relatively trivial things and taking very very large concepts for granted, where instead I'd recommend you start from scratch and really think through for yourself what basic truths exist about life.

Also, it's clear from your post you already know the answer to your question. The policy is rubbish and can only harm young children. You know this, and there's no need to test it at all. It's just common sense. Stop relying on others to tell you what's right and start thinking critically. You are smart, probably smarter than a lot of people you take instructions and "truth" from. Don't discredit yourself.

Date: November 22, 2015 04:31PM

I was being absurd to make a point. OF COURSE I knew the answer to my own questions. It's a political cartoon using words.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 05:27PM

Yeah, FYI to anybody who wants to know...

ultra was once one of the most prolific posters on RfM. He was a wildly popular poster who did a lot of parody (remember ultraTBMmegaLord)?

Believe me he's done his research and soul-searching, much of it right here in cyber-space. Ultra stays in the church because of his wife and kids. Don't judge.

;o)

Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 10:38PM

Okay, but in fairness, to someone who doesn't have context or know the OP from Adam, it isn't really all that obvious...

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 03:49AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:28AM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 03:38PM

How come whenever the vast majority of mormons "test" something, they consider it "tested" to be true...

But when non-mormons do the exact same "tests," they consider it tested to be false?

Hmm? :)

p.s. I know you were kidding, but don't do your test. You'll likely lose your day care license. Though, of course, that could be considered a negative result of the test...

Date: November 22, 2015 04:32PM

I wasn't planning to really conduct it..if I did, I should lose my licebse..lol.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 03:43PM

I'm curious, how would you test the doctrine of Baptisms for the Dead? (humor?)

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 03:44PM

Well, whatever you do, do not let such a child sit in your story circle when reading any books that display heterosexual parents, or else you will cause an emotional conflict.

Have the child sit apart from the group, or facing away at least.

Only through separation and isolation will the child be comfortable.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 05:38PM

The thing is, the church leaders know that without the so-called blessings of receiving a name, being baptized, etc. and being forced to wait until 18, many of them will not become members. For any other group, they wouldn't do something that was likely to lose a member. They do their best to indoctrinate kids when they are young, as all religions do.

What this says loud and clear, is that they don't want children of SSM parents in their church at all. They and their parents aren't welcome, period. It's shunning by an organization that swears they don't shun. To me it's just one more lie, like all the other lies they tell. You need to pay attention to what they do, not what they say, because they lie. It's a hate group to me now.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 08:43PM

If the child of a same gender matrimony dies, and the child's grandparents on both sides are TBM, will the appropriate bishop tell them all that they can't use the ward for the funeral?

And if the bishop is the final speaker......

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 09:48PM

Funny how the policy they want us all to test is tithing.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 09:57PM

and if the tithing test proves to be false you have lost that tithing money.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.