Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 07:28PM

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/24/457277916/mormon-woman-grapples-with-new-church-guidelines-on-same-sex-relationships

The story ran this afternoon on NPR's All Things Considered. The quote from the Todd D. Kristoferson video is priceless! The LDS church is getting a lot of egg on its face for this one and deservedly so. I can see why church spokesmen didn't want to comment on the policy to the network.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2015 07:34PM by blindguy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 07:53PM

I heard that story on "All Things Considered" today on NPR.

They basically quoted the church to say no gay marriage or leave. Kids at 18 can join but they would have to turn on their parents basically. Follow the rules or lose your Mormon culture.

It made the church sound so backwards and bigoted.

I was thinking a bit about this. The Mormon church has never exactly been cutting edge progressive. They are not going to change anything before bigger religions, like the Catholics, have to change.

Although Catholics are far more accepting of dissenting opinions, Catholics (the Church) do not approve of gay marriage and have a male priesthood. Mormons will hold out and watch how Catholics make the transition, IMO. Until more people "just leave" the Catholic Church over gay inequality, reproductive rights, women's equality, there is no pressure for the Mormons to change.

The Mormons do not have a well-liked personable humble leader to help people swallow the inequalities in the religon, so they look especially bad.

It was a good story on NPR. It shows the predicament it puts gay people into and paints the church into a corner.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:05PM

While it is true that the Roman Catholic church and a whole host of other churches disapprove of homosexuality and homosexual relationships, the LDS church is the only church as far as I know that actually forbids the children of homosexuals from being baptized.

So, yes. The Mormons are going out on a limb here and have introduced a policy that other churches, including those that oppose homosexuality, are not following, at least not as yet. Pope Francis has already indicated that the Roman church will not travel down this road (at least as long as he is pontiff), but I do wonder about some of the more evangelical Protestant churches, especially those affiliated with the American Family Association and the Moody Bible Institute. Specifically, I'm wondering if these churches are watching the LDS church's experience with this policy with an eye towards adopting it as their own. Stay tuned.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:42PM

Yes, you are so right. The child thing is much worse. Catholics are FAR more accepting and open minded.

(Not that the Catholic Church exactly has a great track record with their creepy old teaching of unbaptized babies in limbo. I think they ditched that now.)

But attending a church that does not recognize your marriage is pretty sick, IMO.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:27PM

I've seen gay couples worshiping openly together at Catholic services. The church will not marry them but they can get that elsewhere. And the church will baptize their kids. It's not ideal, but if they want to they can make it work.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 09:29PM

I'll bet the catholics don't excommunicate couples who get gay married.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.