Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 05:22PM

Happy Early Thanksgiving Everyone!!! I hope that whatever and wherever you are at, you have a good day (or at least try too!). I am curious if anyone has any interesting plans and or traditions for the holiday that they would like to share.

So I got somewhat of a busy day tomorrow but most of it will be fun. I am going to try and get up for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade tomorrow morning which has been one of my personal traditions since I was little. In the afternoon, I am going to one of the local community centers that my sister - in - law has reserved to do a big family potluck style Thanksgiving dinner. We did this once a couple of years ago and I had a blast. Later in the afternoon, I do have to work 4-8 compliments working in retail.

I hope every one has a great day and safe travels for those who are having to travel. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 05:36PM

For us, the main purpose of thanksgiving is - leftovers! Yeah, the meal is nice, with family and all, but the LEFTOVERS!

Love me them leftovers...starting with cold turkey sandwiches-white bread, miracle whip, turkey, salt & Pepper at about 9pm Thursday night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2015 05:38PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 05:38PM

I've freed myself from the "must do's" of Thanksgiving. My grown children are all doing what's best for them and their families. We have plans to get together later. I? Well, I'm in Poland. I just had roast goose with dumplings and cranberry sauce. I had a chocolate and chestnut cake with a super delicious duo of currant and cherry vodka liquor.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 05:46PM

My family celebrated it on Sunday. We did it Sunday since my younger brother has to work driving diary trucks on Thanksgiving. But we might be going to Dennys since my youngest inactive sister wasn't invited(it's a trust issue) for Thanksgiving. I'll of course continue my binge watching of "Lost in Space" tomorrow.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 06:41PM

Here at Bag End I'll be baking an eight pound turkey breast on a bed of potatoes, carrots and onions. I put those in an oven bag so that the ingredients share the flavorful steam trapped within. I have fresh string beans that I'll slice the long way French style and drop into the Panasonic steamer along with bits of real bacon. A bag of Idaho spuds will be mashed, and stuffing cooked on the stove top. There'll be dinner rolls on the side along with olives. Cranberry sauce with real berries will be served to compliment the color and taste palette.

For after dinner, we'll have pumpkin pie courtesy of the Wal mart bakery topped with real whipped cream. Maybe I should get some wine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2015 06:42PM by donbagley.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 06:47PM

Off to the sibling. Not sure what is on the menu, but since I'm not cooking, it will be great.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 06:58PM

For me, it's the typical dinner with my dad and my brother's family. As nobody attending is TBM, there's going to be wine with the meal. I'm making the pumpkin pies tonight, so they'll be ready tomorrow.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 08:01PM

I will be giving thanks all day!

I'm thankful that my children live within a few blocks of me. We all left the cult together, except for one, but we are all very close, loving, and kind to each other.

I'm thankful that there will be no canned family "blessing" on the food. Just let it go. One year, my TBM brother was careful to give a "non-denominational Christian" blessing, so as not to offend anyone. My teen-aged nephew and his girlfriend kept their eyes open, and stared at their coconuts (which was their own meal, that they brought with them.) Right after the blessing, our Jewish Rabbi cousin stood up and asked permission to chant a very long prayer in Yiddish, and he put on a shawl and sang. The little kids (honest and naive as kids can be) started to giggle. Awkward!

"The Church" will not be a subject of conversation--nor will any religion, nor politics--we will be laughing too loud.

I'm thankful that my grandchildren love me, and that they haven't been brainwashed by a cult, to think I'm an evil apostate.

I'm thankful for the entire Christmas season--which I used to dread, as a TBM. Ask anyone who's been an organist or chorister. I don't have to worry about the ward Christmas choir, the stake Christmas choir, the stake Messiah, the individual performances, and all the REHEARSALS. I can spend Christmas weekends with my family!

I'm thankful that I'm not trapped in an evil cult. (That sentence seems is very strange, as I'm writing it.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 08:08PM

BF and I ended up staying home this year to save money and miles on the Jeep. We planned on going up to CO to spend T-Day with my mom and sister (my very TBM mom, who was going to let us sleep in the same bed!) but things are a little tight this year due to various circumstances.

So I'm making a turkey dinner for us like I've done in the past. I think it's the same recipe I used as last year that I created- fresh herb, garlic, and citrus zest compound butter with shallots added in this year for the turkey. Sourdough and sage sausage stuffing, sour cream mashed potatoes, roasted garlic brussel sprouts (which I could eat every single day and have at least once a week) tangerine cranberry sauce, and Bailey's pumpkin pie.
In the past, I've offered my home to those in the Corners that have no where else to go (no takers yet) and the offer still stands. Just bring your own booze! ;)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 08:18PM

I'm locking myself in, closing the windows, taping the edges of the windows and all the door cracks and spending four days eating fun foods and sniffing shoe polish. It's a old Yaqui tradition, for which I am very, very thankful.

So if future posts make too much sense, it's the shoe polish, taking the edge off my normal hysteria.

May all of you love yourselves!

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 08:46PM

I will go to golden corral, Have a nice meal. No cooking, no left overs. Leave my waiter, waitress a $25.00 tip. life is good,,

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 09:40PM

but this should cover my share of Holiday entertaining. I look forward to Saturday, when I can simmer the turkey carcass (no RS sleighs for me!), and make turkey soup.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 09:43PM

I love the broth I get from the carcass. I even save the ends and bits of my veggies for the year to freeze and throw in the pot.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 11:53AM

We're in Yuma. AZ spending my first ever US Thanksgiving (went home to Alberta for it when I was at Ricks) at my sisters place and with my brother and their spouses. The turkey dinner is being built (with my wife's killer stuffing) and in a couple hours, the sun will be over the yardarm somewhere...and adult beverage drinking will ensue....

RB

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 04:23PM

My brother-in-law and sister live about 40 miles from me. I drove up later than I usually do. It turns out my sister only cooked a turkey breast (instead of a whole bird). I was told to bring nothing. Turns out it was a good idea. When my youngest nephew left to go to work (Worst Buy), I figured I should leave as well. As my sister packed up the leftovers (tomatoes in Italian dressing, dressing, mashed potatoes), she gave me the rest of the turkey breast to take home. When I explained she didn't have to do that, she took out another turkey breast, which will be cooked for the family. Thank you, my sister.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.