Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 02:47PM

In my mid-1970s Book of Mormon class, the instructor spent a lot of time on the lessons of the lord of the vineyard. To him, anyone or anything that interfered with the church was wild fruit, produced by wild vines, and would be cut off and destroyed.

At that time, the racist doctrine of blacks not getting the priesthood was causing many thinking Mos to leave or not attend. He talked about this and noted that the church "liberals" were the wild vines that would be consumed by fire because they didn't believe in prophecy or the power of the priesthood.

Like it or not, folks, the Morg leaders view us as wild vines and expendable firewood in the vineyard. The Vintner's Boner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2015 02:49PM by byuboner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 03:14PM

And then they decided to follow the wild vines. But none of the pruned vines were forgiven.

Posted by: drunksailor ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 03:14PM

In the mid 1970s the wild vines didn't matter. No longer the case.

It's the church that is being destroyed by wild vines now.

There are plenty of these Wild Vine websites. And we have had our own Wild Vine conference now for a dozen or so years.

Any assclown teaching a false history of North America at YBU 40 years ago would be shocked at an area seventy in Sweden going "Wild Vine" on the Church.

I don't think it's safe for the church to say, or to believe that we don't matter. They are losing intelligent people with integrity. They are growing one cat-lady at a time.

This isn't sustainable and they know it.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 04:24PM

drunksailor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are losing
> intelligent people with integrity. They are
> growing one cat-lady at a time.

Lol coffee up my nose you bastard. Ouch that hurts.

Posted by: Anon Dunn ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 05:37PM

The wild vines may have been pruned in the past, but they grew elsewhere and have grown enough to start smothering the vineyard.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: November 29, 2015 05:41PM

It won't happen quickly, but it's happening. They will continue to exist and maybe even grow a little bit (who ever knows if their numbers are true), but they are in a flat spin and there is no getting out of it.

Posted by: drunksailor ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 01:54AM

The church can't survive two more generations of internet savvy kids

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 11:48AM

Bring 'em on....I'll take 'em and their pruning shears out at 500 yards!!! LOL

RB

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 11:53AM

They were still a pretty vibrant church in the 1970's. That's no longer the case. As a matter of fact, all religions in America are fading just as they have in Europe.

So back then, they could be a little flippant about losing the "liberals." Now? I think they're a bit nervous about where this is all heading. Not enough to rethink all the stoopid, but they know the tithing receipts are down. They know they're not getting golden converts. They know those they do baptize don't stick around. They know they're bleeding members and especially the youth.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 12:44PM

When you are argue in front of other people, your goal is to convince the audience, not your debate partner. He/she is already so convinced of the arguments that there is little hope to sway him/her. It's those watching who matter.

No, the old farts have made up their desiccated minds. It's those watching, the members and the potential converts, that matter. Young members who want to serve missions but support gay rights are the most important audience. If they realize they are promoting a hate group, they will go to college (not BYU) instead of wasting their time and money as shills for LDS, Inc.

Posted by: laughing in provo ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 12:56PM

maybe if everyone leaves i will get to be the bishop. i doubt it but you never know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.