Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 01:24AM

Do you believe there really is a Jesus who is a god?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 01:25AM

jesus is god ...
who sacrificed himself
to himself
to appease himself

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 01:47PM

Hahahahahhahahahahahahaha that was the best Dave.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 01:46AM

That one. Over there. No, no I don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2015 07:25PM by cpete.

Posted by: asleep ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 02:03AM

Nope.

Posted by: strangeloop ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 02:33AM

Of course. He went extinct for our sins, and always makes sure to ask us what we're doing on Sunday instead of going to mormon church. Or did you mean a different Jesus who is a god?

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 04:24AM

Posted by: Dale B. ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 04:42AM

themaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you believe there really is a Jesus who is a god?

"Believe" ? -- such a loaded word. But what does it
mean? I "believe" that I will see the sun rise in the
east tomorrow -- but I do not KNOW that it will.

I know that I am one day older as today ends. I don't
have to BELIEVE that fact. It simply is.

Was there a rather insightful Palestinian who lived
about 2000 years ago, -- a few of whose words got
preserved and honored over the ages? -- Perhaps.

Can I believe (or know) that premise, based upon the
available evidence? -- No.

I cannot KNOW it to be true -- and my only reasonable
basis for BELIEVING it to be true is scant literary
and physical evidence that remains inconclusive.

But you asked if I believe that particular Palestinian
(assuming he did once exist) is, or was, a god.

Short answer -- no more, nor less, God than all the
rest of us sentient beings.

Is that arcane and confusing enough?

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 05:13AM

Not for a second. There may have been a famous preacher in the middle east around 2000 years ago named Jesus, sure. That's plausible. But do I believe that he was/is a god, demigod or any other sort of supernatural entity? Nope.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 06:47AM

I also don't believe that accepting him as my savior will get me on the VIP list for the next life.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 05:16AM

Yes. Just like I believe in the book of MORmON.
The New Testament was the scriptural scam perpetrated by the Roman Empire as it had its second coming by turning to mono theism and turned into the Roman Catholic church. The Book of MORmON was Joseph Smith Americanized forged scripture follow up on the Roman NT scam. I believe in both of these books as the epic shams that they really are.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 07:01AM

With a bit of research we find that there have been many mythical saviour man-gods at different times and in different cultures. The new testament is largely based on astrology. Twelve signs of the zodiac, twelve apostles - coincidence?

There are well supported theories that Jesus is the personified sun god -- things just don't add up to support the story of Messiah.

That's not to say that personal spiritual beliefs are necessarily wrong or bad, but it's important to recognize fiction when we see it, and treat it as such.

Reality is better than fantasy.

Posted by: lovechild ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 07:11AM

Yes

Posted by: hurting ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 08:16AM

Yes, I do. With all my heart.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 11:42AM

hurting Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I do. With all my heart.

Interesting, since hearts aren't capable of belief. They're pumps, not brains.

No, I don't believe in "Jesus." As "god," son of "god," or even actual human being. It's plausible there was an actual human being behind the stories, but I can't determine there WAS such a person from the evidence on offer, so I don't "believe."

Posted by: ICEMAN ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 08:28AM

YES...I totally do!!!

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 08:34AM

I believe the man MAY have existed, but I don't believe in him as a deity. If he had appeared at the BEGINNING of mankind and then STAYED, providing clear, audible instructions to all, complete with explanations as to the nature of the universe and why different things are important, it might have made more sense.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 10:01AM

The concept of deity is lost on me.

RB

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 10:17AM

Sorry I'm not one of you...
I've been gullible enough..... to last me a lifetime.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 10:18AM

The romans killed someone with the composite of many known as Jesus.

Was this Jesus divine? I doubt it.

There really isn't a consensus on which of many jesus's described in the gospels and the ancient writings was a "real" Jesus.

No one description is universally accepted. Jesus is many things to many believers and scholars.

I wouldn't count on Jesus being anything but words in a book.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 10:58AM

No, at least not as son of God. A person like the biblical Jesus may have existed, we are unlikely to ever know for sure. I like a lot of what he taught but certainly not everything.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 11:02AM

I believe a baby was born in Palestine over 2000 years ago and was named Jesus. He taught good things but so has many others like Buddha. Was/is he a christ? I don't believe so.

Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 11:06AM

The NT was created by a committee in the 4th century. If there was a Yeshua who was crucified during Roman times, then he is lost to history.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 11:10AM

Sounds just like the book by Dan Brown: The DaVinci Code.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 11:29AM

No. I do not believe in Jesus, one of the Christian gods, or according to the belief of other Christians, one aspect of a triune god.

I have never seen anything supernatural and so I do not believe in gods and magic.

The Problem of Evil demolishes the idea of there being an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-good god such as the Christian god.

The Argument from Inconsistent Revelation demolishes the idea of there being one true religion on earth and also of the Christian religion being the only true religion. (If the Christian God wanted the whole world to be Christian, He would have done enough miracles and sent enough prophets to make it so. But in many countries, there is almost no Christian presence and many people have never even met a Christian. So God really stinks at his job, is weak and has little power, is evil, or more likely, just does not exist.)

Date: December 01, 2015 11:30AM

Yeah, he does a great job on my lawn.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 11:48AM

One of my co-worker's boyfriend is Jesus.

I have met him on more than one occasion. Others have met him as well and we all seem to be sane people.

So I would say without a doubt that Jesus does exist.

Posted by: shizonashingle ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 11:49AM

How can I not believe in Jesus after his image appeared to me in a tortilla several years ago.

Posted by: goatsgotohell ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 01:03PM

Observing patterns of religious leaders I believe Jesus pursued power, money, sex individually or in some combination. I figure he was not much different from other religious leaders throughout the ages.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 01:43PM

It's been over two thousand years since the supposed Jesus supposedly graced us with his supposed divinity.

Six thousand years. This is His planet. His fold as a shepherd. He stops by once, visits a minute portion of the population of his planet, ignores every other civilization and disappears never to return.

Jesus clearly does not believe in us.

Of course I don't believe in Jesus. What would be the point?

I believe in coffee and coffee believes in me. Shows up every morning on the dot and points me toward salvation if only for the next 24 hours.

Date: December 01, 2015 01:49PM

Plus, coffee saves.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 02:03PM

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 07:23PM

I think there was a rabbi named Jesus who lived at the designated place and in the designated time, who taught some stuff that made some people uncomfortable and resonated with some. He was killed by the former and got to be a folk hero with the latter. The game of telephone ensued. Decades later, the first gospel was written by someone who had no first hand knowledge of the rabbi, complete with magic. It served as the basis of later derivative gospels.

It would be a lot like me writing the gospel of Eleanor Roosevelt, replete with lots of quotations, without any access to source material.

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 07:30PM

God? No.

Bad-ass rebel who took a stand against the most powerful empire the world had ever seen? Hells yeah!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 07:47PM

I think that he existed as a great teacher. I believe that he was an enlightened being in the Buddhist sense of the word.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.