Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 04:56AM

Mine is simple, but perfectly fitting. The Pricess Bride is one of my favorite films of all time. Men in black is up there too. Everyone thinks I'm TBM, but I'm I actually the "dark" "evil" one...they just don't know it because I'm wearing a mask. Masks are terribly comfortable, I think everyone will be wearing them in the future. Mostly though, I really do wear a lot of black (classy, goes with anything).

What is the significance of your screen name?

Like:
Get her done
Stray mutt
Ca girl
SuzieQ
Jackmo's wife
Amidarknow?
Etc...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 05:23AM

I'm a huge music fan. Now I'm an exmo. When I wasn't, I was known as Brother Vreeland.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 05:26AM

But funny story about Princess Bride.

I went on my mormon mission to Japan in 1989. I got there Dec 4 and we were watching a movie on Dec 6. It was The Princess Bride. Actually, we watched it a number of times at an investigators house and I enjoyed it so much that I made an audio recording of it. I would put in my tape at night to go to sleep with.

After the mission, I continued with my nightly ritual. I started with a video tape, then used it up, then to a DVD, now currently use MP4. I have heard from "blip blip blip" to the sword fight litterally thousands and thousands of times. Always asleep by the sword fight. Always.

Posted by: Mo larkey ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 05:53AM

Posted by: Convert ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 06:20AM

I converted in 2008

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:02AM

Most folks know me as "Big Tim" or just Tim. I go by "Timothy" on RFM because of the religious conotations.

And I never said any of that s**t that's attributed to me in the bible!

Timothy

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:43AM

That's sufficient information.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:45AM

I chose mine because these words from Brigham really make my wife mad. In fact, they were sort of like a last straw for her.

The third paragraph is fun to read 'cuz she comes over and punches me for reading it out loud (teehee)

Come- listen to a prophets voice:

Elders, never love your wives one hair's breadth further than they adorn the Gospel, never love them so but that you can leave them at a moment's warning without shedding a tear. Should you love a child any more than this? No. Here are Apostles and Prophets who are destined to be exalted with the Gods, to become rulers in the kingdom of our Father, to become equal with the Father and the Son, and will you let your affections be unduly placed on anything this side that kingdom and glory? If you do, you disgrace your calling and Priesthood. The very moment that persons in this Church suffer their affections to be immoderately placed upon an object this side the celestial kingdom, they disgrace their profession and calling. When you love your wives and children, are fond of your horses, your carriages, your fine houses, your goods and chattels, or anything of an earthly nature, before your affections become too strong, wait until you and your family are sealed up unto eternal lives, and you know they are yours from that time henceforth and for ever.

I will now ask the sisters, do you believe that you are worthy of any greater love than you bestow upon your children? Do you believe that you should be beloved by your husbands and parents any further than you acknowledge and practise the principle of eternal lives? Every person who understands this principle would answer in a moment, "Let no being's affections be placed upon me any further than mine are on eternal principles-principles that are calculated to endure and exalt me, and bring me up to be an heir of God and a joint heir with Jesus Christ." This is what every person who has a correct understanding would say.

Owing to the weaknesses of human nature you often see a mother mourn upon the death of her child, the tears of bitterness are found upon her cheeks, her pillow is wet with the dews of sorrow, anguish, and mourning for her child, and she exclaims, "O that my infant were restored to me," and weeps day and night. To me such conduct is unwise, for until that child returned to its Father, was it worthy of your fullest love? No, for it was imperfect, but now it is secure in the bosom of the Father, to dwell there to all eternity; now it is in a condition where it is worthy of your perfect love, and your anxiety and effort should be that you may enter at the same gate to immortality.

When the wife secures to herself a glorious resurrection, she is worthy of the full measure of the love of the faithful husband, but never before. And when a man has passed through the vail, and secured to himself an eternal exaltation, he is then worthy of the love of his wife and children, and not until then, unless he has received the promise of and is sealed up unto eternal lives. Then he may be an object fully worthy of their affections and love on the earth, and not before.

Journal of Discourses Vol.3:360
Brigham Young

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 08:12AM

I no longer consider myself as a member of their church and since nonmembers are referred to as gentiles...

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 09:01AM

come back after we leave.

Do they really want us back, with knowledge and facts and uncomfortable points of view and questions, poking holes in the propaganda they peddle?????

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 09:09AM

My dad always used to call me a knothead. And I went to the University of South Carolina.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 09:34AM

from "Mormon Engima"; Emma's second husband. I think Bidamon got ignored by history, but from the little I read about the guy, he was a good man -- and NOT Mormon.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 09:35AM

It's my really-for-reals name I was given by my parents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2010 09:36AM by maria.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 03:26PM

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 09:39AM

I made that name back in 1996 when I joined the board, but for the life of me, I don't recall it's significance. ;)

Just sayin'...

Rone

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 09:52AM

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 09:59AM

I like Cocoa Puffs.

And the Pearl of Great Price is whacked.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 10:00AM

As I have been extricating myself from the Morg I have discovered red wine. Madiran is a wine from France that is supposed to be one of the most healthy for you because it contains a lot of procyanidans. So, when I can, I like to work on my health.

Posted by: Southern Man ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 10:05AM

I learned that as a person from the South, I would never be accepted by the ruling elite, that is, people from the Corridor. They absolutely loathe Southerners, and are pretty open about it, even when they live here in the Deep South. I had girls from the Corridor, living in the South, tell me that they couldn't date me because their parents back in Utah didn't approve of them dating non-Utahns. I finally told my bishop, who was one of them, that I was going back to "my own kind".

This cultural/social disconnect was the first step in my apostacy. Then I learned that it was all a fraud and a sham anyway, so there was no need to tolerate being treated like a third-class citizen in an organization that wasn't true in the first place.

And I had a little help with my screen name from Lynyrd Skynyrd. (Ronnie Van Zant, by the way, was originally entombed in a cemetery right next to an LDS stake center. His body was moved to a secret location after his grave was vandalized).

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 10:16AM

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:20PM

I've always wondered about your name. I figured "OTR" meant "Of The Rings" like the novel. So I kept thinking, was it:

"Grand Woman of the Rings"
"Good Woman of the Rings"

Or just used any old adjective that started with "G". I know none of it made any sense.

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 04:37PM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 10:22AM

I hold many character traits dear to my heart- but the one that is most important is honesty. Without it a friend or spouse is really nothing to you. So in case anyone is wondering, I am usually honest1 but did it differently by spelling it out "one". Sometimes it looks like hone-stone to me. Yikes!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2010 10:22AM by honestone.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 10:27AM

No significance. It is my real name. When I first showed up on the board I posted as Anon for a while then I decided to hell with it and just started using my name.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 10:27AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2010 10:28AM by AnonyMs.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 10:32AM

I'm Free and feel like a Rose [no Rose is not my real name]. I converted to the cult at 20 and felt isolated and invisible for the 4.5 years I was imprisoned. Most of the people my age went to "The Y" and associated with themselves.

I was exhausted, teaching Primary, having to set up the room, get the materials, clean up the room, get to SM, always late and sitting in the back. When I did get there on time, many times I sat by myself on a back pew and was routinely passed over by the sacrament. Geez, I was invisible.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 10:34AM

It's my real name(actually short for Jonathan, a name I have always hated, If there is a nerdy violin player, or evil pedophile scientist in a movie, I guaratee his name will be Jonathan...)

I force myself to use my real name, because for years after I left TSCC I still found myself going to a different store to buy a beer, if I saw a mormon in the parking lot. Now, if I see a disaproving look, I ask them if they want one.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 10:51AM

Raptor Jesus went extinct for your sins.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 10:51AM

That wasn't my original name here, but when I first started posting (what I thought were pithy insights and observations on a subject), it always seemed to, well...kill the thread.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 11:00AM

Couldn't resist the obvious and appropriate allusion of rattlesnakes to the Mormon imperative. Some of the relevant associations that come to mind: venom, toxin, attacking when threatened, reptilian mentality, attractive on the outside but inwardly treacherous, etc.

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 11:00AM

Because when I started to get my life back together after resigning from the morg my name was just how I felt - Freedom is sweet. I still feel that way after 5+ yrs out

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 11:04AM

Well blue is my favorite color, and the fallen angel part is based on a poem that I have written.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 11:04AM

Laban's head was lopped off so that a generation would not dwindle in unbelief -- whatever the hell that means. It was expendable.

I always felt expendable as a member -- that my testimony was not as important as that of a new member. Intellectuals weren't to publish anything that might be damaging to the new, emerging testimony, blah blah blah..... But that idea, itself, was very damaging to mine -- but that was okay.

Hence -- Laban's Head --- expendable

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 11:23AM

Well I had to drop my old nameing scheme before as I normaly keep a part of the name over most of the net where I lurk but meh... had someone looking over my shulder to often here. Well my sight really is quite poor and I do get asked to go sing for the quior alot.

I hadnt really desided on this name till I had a freaky dream were I ripped my own heart out and died on stage to get free in the middle of some church performance. I'm still freaked out about the sence of peace before I woke up. Serves me right for watching to much Repo the genetic opra but well after that I thought it was perfect. Just strange enough for me to stay under the radar with it.

Posted by: fearguiltpromise ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 11:38AM

The Morg controls the minds of its members with fear, guilt and promise. I lived a life of fear and guilt with the hope of eternal promises for 36yrs until my already apostatizing DH gave me the fruit of which I did partake and my eyes were opened. We left the church together unaware of how difficult the detoxification process would be.

A lifetime of fear and guilt is not recovered from overnight but is more of a process. My DH and I have made a promise to each other to 'enjoy to the end' instead of 'enduring to the end'.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 11:46AM

which is just so different than being a Molly Mormon or Mormon royalty. My life is better when I remember who I really am and stay away from who Mormons told me I was supposed to be.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 11:50AM

I am known by several names, Susie is one of them, but is not my legal name.
There have been several posters with the same or similar posting name come and go. I posted as SusieQ for sometime, and added the #1 to help keep the names straight.

Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 11:52AM

Like a silhouette, you see me, my identity is unknown. I am just a shadow in the dark.

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:01PM

Mine is my main from World of Warcraft. I haven't played in over a year, but I remember church talks warning about the evils of video gaming. I never believed those talks.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:08PM

once I no longer believed my TBM wife and other believers questioned whether or not I had really ever believed— at least for a time. It made me think of Jesus' parable of the seeds and how people assumed I was a bad seed rather than the Church not being what it claimed to be.

And I've always been interested in Nick Cave and the Badseeds.

After choosing the name I learned of the 1956 film of the same name. The story line in some ways fit my experience in Mormonism— except I am male and no longer a child. I've used the photo of the little blond haired girl w/ braids for m the movie as my avatar/icon for other sites.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048977/

The Bad Seed (1956)
Storyline
Christine Penmark seems to have it all: a lovely home, a loving husband and the most "perfect" daughter in the world. But since childhood, Christine has suffered from the most terrible recurring nightmare. And her "perfect" daughter's accomplishments include lying, theft and possibly much, much worse. Only Christine knows the truth about her daughter and only Christine's father knows the truth about her nightmare.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:13PM

Thanks for reminding me to change back to my original name.

This has been my nick or screen name for a little over 10 years now. I use it in other moderated sites. Charles just came to mind, Buddhist Punk was a graphic design company in the UK. I thought it was a clever play of words, so I basically stole it.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:14PM

Mine is from my only vice that I have picked up since leaving the church. Poker.

It is my screen name on my online poker account.

And if anyone knows of any underground cash games in SLC area, I would be happy to know about them.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:15PM

Shortened version of Earthbound Misfit, by which i am known on other worlds. I am a Pink Floyd fan, EM is a phrase in one of their songs, Learning to Fly, which is about newfound freedom. And I never fit in at church.

Posted by: Way Out ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:18PM

I'm out of the church - "way out". It can also be interpreted as how "way out in left field" the church is.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:26PM

DNA, the first thing that shook my belief when it came out. Also a letter scramble of my name.

Posted by: Yewt102 ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:29PM

I grew up in Utah Valley in the most mormon of situations. I am literally just about the ONLY person who didn't go to BYU or UVU... I am a heathen and I went to the University of Utah so I felt like it was fitting.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:34PM

Used to be 'Essexfriendly' as I am from Essex and am quite friendly.... in the right circumstances.
when they changed the boards I changed my name.... nothing cryptic here, I was, once, an elder

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:53PM

Because I have absolutely no imagination and had no idea when I typed it in as my screen name that would be my name every time I commented. But alas,I do LOVE kids and since I have 9 of them it is a good fit. I just wish I would have been more creative.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 04:30PM

I have never connected with the idea of being an child of God. I never felt special to be a daughter of God. It just didn't register.

I have been rebellious a lot, but have grown beyond being a teenager of God,

so I am Adult of god--small G because I'm not a believer in any of the gods, but feel free to capitalize it if it feels better for you.;)

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:59PM

Just a garden veggie with a catchy name.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:59PM

As I was thinking about a screen name I remembered “AmIWhiteYet” which is an existing posters name who has put some good stuff out there by the way. I just went the other way.

As an apostate surely my skin is turning darker. I can’t see it happening myself and that’s why my moniker asks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2010 01:00PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 01:09PM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 01:12PM

The rubicon was the river that was forbidden to cross in Roman times. When I left the church I crossed the forbidden river.

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 01:12PM

integrity of the church and it's leaders, at one time.

I was really shocked and angry when I found out the truth.

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 01:22PM

dit = down in texas

LOL!

Posted by: Halfbreed ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 01:27PM

I grew up in an area outside the corridor but still had about a 10% mormon population. Nearly all of the ward members were third and forth genaration mormons. On my mothers side her ancestors were converted on the first mission of Lyman Wight. My father a nevermo had ancesters from Western Missouri. As a child I was called names at school because I was mormon. At church I was included but not included because I was from a part member family. It was a lot like what Southern Man said. I grew up hunting, fishing, and helping my dad in his shop. I did everything church with or because of my mother.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 01:27PM

Based on my kids' favorite cartoon.

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 01:49PM

I just really like the rain, especially a good, persistant drizzle!

Posted by: Truth Without Fear ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 02:53PM

No longer afraid to speak freely about all the issues I kept propped up "on the shelf" all those years.

Posted by: Abigail ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 02:41PM

My special individual call-me-from-the-grave temple name.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 03:02PM

interesting post. mine was toss doubt for a long time, because I was dis fellowshipped. then I realized last month that I had actually found doubt, rather than tossed it.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 03:06PM

I used to be a big fan of that show, and I've been using this nickname on internet forums and before that on BBSs since the 1980s. It doesn't really have anything to do with Mormonism. :)

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 03:34PM

Anyone posting here is wiser than when they were a TBM.

Thought about WiserThanBefore but with some names, the gender is unclear and I wanted mine to be clear.

Posted by: gulliblestravels ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 04:14PM

Mine is an allusion to the Swift book, Gulliver's Travels. I poke fun at my own gullible nature that made me a true believer for 33 years.
I thought it fitting given the political/religious satire of the book, the free mason connection, being abandoned by those I trusted/traveled with, not ever being quite the right size to fit in, going inactive/rebelling then comming back, how having seen some of the worst of human nature I am permanently jaded toward people and most things religious (ie: god), and a myriad of other symbolic parallels to my own life in, and now out, of the mormon maze.
Above all, despite the fact that I am a reasonably intelligent human being, I failed for so many years to ask the one question that would come to set me free: What if none of it is true?
It took watching my 8 yr old daughter disappearing behind the bishops door for her baptismal interview for me to finally ask myself why, given the fact that I was miserable in my mormon fascade, am I trying to make her into a mormon?
Truly the Travels of a Gullible soul

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 04:26PM

I don't follow this concept of "screen name". You all don't believe I am named Jesus Smith?

Date: October 20, 2010 04:34PM

I have actually known one or two women named "Jesus" but most of them had latino last names.

As I have said before, yours is a favorite of mine.

Adam

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:45PM

It looks like we have someone with a god complex here. LOL!

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 04:28PM

Once more into the breach, dear friends.

As in doing eternal battle with the forces of unreason.

Posted by: jolene ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 04:32PM

When I was TBM, I was sitting around a camp fire one night with some TBM and non-TBM friends. Someone had a guitar and started playing the Dolly Parton song "Jolene" and in the middle changed it to "Joseph"and the song was about polygamy and him stealing wives. It was the first time I let myself laugh about something sacred (the holy prophet, not polygamy) and it felt so GOOD!

Although I haven't removed my name from the church records yet I do not identify myself as Mormon any more. I am pretty new here and it has been interesting to get to know a lot of you through your posts. Thanks for being here - I need you.

Date: October 20, 2010 04:33PM

I used to be named "Another Shrubbery," from a favorite hillarious, pointless scene in Monty Python.

Roger is a characer in the same scene.

It is my way of saying the LDS faith, with its pointless and time consuming rituals, is silly.

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 04:40PM

Mine's Irish Gaelic for "brightness" or "shining bright" -- which is what I hope to be or do now that I'm no longer buried and blinded under all that LDS BS. ... Just seemed appropriate somehow.

Posted by: Emanon (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 06:16PM

Emanon is "noname" spelled backwards.

I saw a portion of a movie, years back, where a crippled child watches the world go by from the window of his limo. When the child is asked his name, by a homeless man he befriends, the boy does not reply....but in the window of the limo writes "noname". To the person outside of the limo it says "emanon".

As a child/teenager I felt as if no one saw or heard my cries for help, that I was alone, watching the world go by...

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 06:43PM

Your story touches me. Both your description of the movie and what you felt as a child. I hope you no longer feel alone and unheard.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 06:39PM

I liked Sally Field's character in the movie Norma Rae--a woman who empowered herself and stood up against the male heirarchy and made a better life for herself. It reminded me of my struggle to come to terms with and move beyond mormonism.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 06:54PM

that we are all "gods in embryo."

"Fetal Deity" is just sillier ... and funner to say (sounds kind of like "fiddle dee dee"). : )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2010 07:08PM by Fetal Deity.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:05PM

I spent quite awhile "looking in" before I felt ready to join in. It also refers to my somewhat limited experience with mormonism compared to many here. My family only stuck with it for a couple of years, and I was a child. In many ways I've felt as if I have been looking in on a foreign culture when people with more mormon experience discuss their experiences.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:10PM

Well that was soon sorted out, perhaps I should have soon changed it to Korihor instead. I'm still toiling with the idea of swithcing to my real name as I've nothing to fear or jepordise anymore.

I'm already being shunned by who I thought was a great family friend and best friend and even future wife. It can't get any worse than that I guess.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:14PM

...so to me summer means freedom, happiness, sunshine, warmth, the outdoors, and absolutely no demands on my time. Free to be me!

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:24PM

i used to be Gone AWOL for good, meaning i left the church without telling and without its permission. And i left for good- for ever.I didn't just take a short vacation like i thot i was going to do. When i found the exmo boards and learned the real facts about the church i made my vacation permanent. For good also means for something better- the real world.

When i got here i just used my real name- karin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2010 07:26PM by karin.

Posted by: tapirbackrider ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:38PM

From a takeoff of a Beatles song, paperback writer. I got the idea from a funny rewrite of the song with lyrics based on a FARMS article speculating that horses in the Book Of Mormon were probably tapirs. I really thought that was funny.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:41PM

I believe in no excuxes....I hate reasons why people can not get the job done. I have always gotten the job done, at all cost, time, difficulity etc. I get her done.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:49PM

A wee tip-of-my-hat to the flying spaghetti monster.

Posted by: nolongerin ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 07:50PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.