Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Annie Onymous ( )
Date: December 06, 2015 06:54PM

Back in my young, indoctrinated days I can remember for the longest time wanting earrings. My mom had three in each ear before the official ban on multiples, and I thought it was the prettiest thing to ever happen to ears. Eventually, I got them done when I was 13 (originally mom forbade it until I was 18, and it was understood that they would be the ONLY piercings on me EVER).

In a silly way, I enjoyed the healing process and the excitement that went with it. After childhood abuse and years of veiled hintings that I was "less than" by a manipulative cult, I started to actually feel pretty for once. In YW lessons, they kept preaching that our bodies didn't even belong to us and we weren't allowed to basically do anything with them. The issue of tattoos and piercings was constantly brought up and discouraged alongside sex.

I, of course, wanted more than just one set of earrings.

It's been ten years since my first pair, and 4 years since I left Mormonism (1 since receiving my removal letter). I have 3 piercings in each lobe and one more in my left cartilage. 2 tattoos and a navel ring. I still enjoy the healing process and now enjoy the knowledge that this body is MINE and I can decorate it however I like.

My free will, my talents, my happiness, and my LIFE belong to me and not to anyone else. I'm free to adorn myself, and others are free to do the same (or not) if they like.

Your body is yours. You belong to yourself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baneberry ( )
Date: December 06, 2015 07:02PM

You body is a temple. Hang some art on it.

Posted by: sd allison ( )
Date: December 06, 2015 07:38PM

I completely agree! I always wanted multiple piercings growing up, and I have a total of four now. I want a couple more though... and maybe a few tattoos... I'm still thinking about that latter, but I'm not turned off by them as I used to be.

It's amazing how I've changed, now that I can make my own decisions!

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: December 06, 2015 07:41PM

My favorite line from Everyone loves Raymond: That's going to need a second coat.

Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: December 06, 2015 07:46PM

your story sounds almost exactly like mine :) i enjoy my mods as well! tbm mom isnt thrilled ;)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 06, 2015 11:25PM

I have neither tats or piercings...and not a big fan of either but to each his/her own.

RB

Posted by: siflbiscuit ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 12:36AM

Still only one earring in each ear. But I did get my first tattoo in October, a large octopus on my inner forearm. I used to be so against them.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 10:15AM

Funny how more than one ear piercing is evil but many TBMs have no problem with body modifying boob jobs.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 11:24AM

You have opportunity to pledge your body to Jesus.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 12:38PM

I personally find it distasteful when black bars cover a woman's upper torso in nude scenes on TV.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 03:39PM

when I was in college most of the women in my singles ward had 2-3 piercings in each ear. I thought it was lovely and decided that when I finished college I'd treat myself to a second earlobe piercing for my ears...then the edict came down that second earrings were bad and "evil." All the ladies promptly removed those extra earrings and that was that.

I ended up going back to college for a second career, the day after I graduated (we'd been out of the church for a few years then) I went straight to a professional piercer and got those second earrings that I'd wanted for so long. My hubby loves buying me cute stud earrings to wear and I've been considering a third set of earlobe holes for awhile now. ;)

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 04:38PM

I have 3 piercings in each ear, a nose ring- teeny tiny stud on the right side, and 4 tattoos. I'd love to change one of my tattoos and get another one- but not sure what I want yet. =)

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 08, 2015 12:34AM

And the Lord God appeared glowing in the firmament declaring:

Hey dudes, just wanted to say Hi and let you know that what I really care about and find important is not all those of you who are dying from disease, famine, disasters, wars and such. What I center on, you know, what I care about is what you are doing to your bodies, those gosh darn crazy colorful modifications you are coming up with. You need to cease and desist.

If and when I change my mind on this, well, you will hear from me. Disappearing for now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.