Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 09:29PM

I would like to get the thoughts of people on this board on a certain subject, if anyone is interested in speaking up.

The mission in which I "served" has a group on Facebook. Someone found me on Facebook and asked me to join the group. I thought, "What the heck!" and did so. Now I am being asked to post a biography of my life since the mission.

I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to post all the events that led up to my completely leaving the LDS church. Many of them happened while I was on the mission, so it would truly be relevant to the group. If I tell the stories, I could make some people think about things, and I could also make some of the them angry.

Or would it be better if I just stayed quiet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 09:42PM

I'll probably get some heat on this, but take it slow, Bro. I doubt that FB posts will convince true believers. From your post, I can't tell if you're recently off your mission, or have been home a while.

If you're a fairly recently returned missionary and live where there are a lot of Mos, word will probably get out and you'll be shunned. If there's a possibility of this happening, please don't put yourself at risk.

After I came out, the best man at my wedding and other long-term friends would have nothing to do with me. That's not so bad as I'm an old fart and well settled in my career.

Best wishes, Elder Boner.

Date: December 07, 2015 10:05PM

I have been back from my mission for 31 years. I no longer even know any Mormons, as far as I am aware. The only two people I keep in touch with from my mission have both left the LDS church, as well.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 10:08PM

Then, you're good to go! I like what alexdc wrote below. Post away here too! Da Bone

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 10:02PM

Its a mission group. I have never run into anyone else from mine since I left. Its been 17 years since I returned. Some of them where decent people. Many of them were complete assholes.

I would post it carefully factually and without overt recriminations or condemnations. Be prepared to be love bombed because of it.

Date: December 07, 2015 10:07PM

I don't intend to post any negativity toward the church itself or anyone I knew on the mission. I'm thinking of simply stating that the mission was the experience that set me on the path to leaving the LDS church and all forms of Christianity. And that's the truth. I was pretty much going that direction already, but the mission made it clear that such was my destination.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 10:05PM

Be honest about your life, but you don't owe them any explanation. Lots of RMs go inactive or leave the church. Just treat them like you would old classmates. They are only entitled to a limited bio from you.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 10:07PM

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 10:08PM

JamesL,

I see from your other posts that you are in your forties, haven't been active for many years, and recently resigned.

The invitation to post an autobiography was probably not personal to you but broadcast to all members of the group. If so, I would think that participation is optional. Your first decision is whether to put your story up or not.

If you're the cautious sort you might wait to see what others are posting and gauge what kinds of interaction develop. Then decide if it's worth your effort and emotional investment to engage.

If you have a stronger personality, you might just write up your story and put it out there. If you get blowback, then push forward by noting that the group is for alumni of the mission and you were invited to tell your story, so you're not out of line. As long as you're not being argumentative, then anyone trying to push you out is the one who is out of line.

As for being an influence in someone's life, you'll never know if you don't try.

JAR

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 10:09PM

I'm not on my mission's FB page, but I did "join" the mission's "mission alumni" web page years ago.

Basically, I just posted my e-mail address, the city I lived in now, and that I was married with 2 kids. Nothing else.

A couple of my former companions/apartment mates contacted me. Friendly, "how ya doin!" messages. I told them I was going great, how nice it was to hear from them, and that I'd left the church years and years ago.
One of them never wrote back.
The other one did, to tell me, "I left years ago too! Dude!"

They're the only 2 I've heard from. There's somebody here on the board who was in my mission the same time I was, and we know some of the same people, but we apparently never really met or crossed paths.

I doubt they'll put up for long with somebody posting 'anti' stuff on their FB page. And they'll likely even consider, "Well, I'm no longer in the church..." to be 'anti.'
If you join up, you'll likely be pushed hard to 'reactivate.' If you can put up with that. give it a shot.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 10:26PM

GO ahead and tell them everything. If they get angry, too bad, so sad. They will get mad if you don't write the bio too so if it will help get anyone out, you should try it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 07, 2015 11:27PM

I would leave out any information related to the church. Talk about your education, your career, your family, your interests.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: December 08, 2015 12:43AM

I don't have any useful advice, but your post made me very glad I'm not on Facebook. Had to check back to make sure, but we were in the same mission, and if I had a FB account I could easily have received the same invitation.

I left the mission in June 1982, probably around the time you arrived. When I left the MP's office after my exit interview, I recall seeing the new batch of greenies waiting to meet their trainers. I couldn't keep a big cheese-eating grin off my face as I looked at them; I was out, free and on my way home, and I knew full well what was in store for them over the next 18 months. I tried to feel bad for them and just couldn't do it. Maybe you were one of those new guys, and our paths crossed for the briefest of moments.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 08, 2015 01:03AM

When my husband and I became inactive one of the things that shocked me the most was how fast his mission companions disappeared into oblivion. Just seemed like they had some strong ties and memories going, and whosh, all was gone.

To me, that seemed like a lot of time spent with someone to just vanish in thin air. Yes, I realize that the main tie was the church tie, but still you'd think that even if you were with a companion for three months that's a lot of cereal gulped down together, praying together, and BS-ing together.

Church friends, I found, disappear fast when you no longer attend church, and especially when info says you are a doubter. And, when you resign, well, you become an evil, bad character called an APOSTATE who can give anyone a case of STAN if they come near you.

I am being sarcastic, but also very truthful.

Posted by: pamelapotrey ( )
Date: December 08, 2015 02:35AM

Make up a bunch of shit & put it on there !!

Stuff that'll make people go holy sheeeeeeez !!

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: December 08, 2015 03:09PM

I'm on my mission's Facebook page and other groups. I haven't said anything one way or the other about Mormonism. But since I mention my husband it's pretty obvious I'm gay. And I've stayed in contact with a few people over the years - one's still active and the other just resigned over the church's latest gay policy. (I was out 1982 - 1984.) I attended the funerals of my mission president and his wife. Didn't hide anything about my life, and didn't have problems with anyone. I'm even friend's with the mission president's daughter on Facebook.

Posted by: Tiredofreligion ( )
Date: December 08, 2015 03:42PM

They asked for your biography, so give it to them. Stick to the non-religious aspects of your life. I would not harp on the fact that you no longer believe. Let them read between the lines. If you are not gushing about your church callings or bearing your testimony, the others doubters will notice.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.