Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmo Aspie ( )
Date: December 09, 2015 02:42PM

Hello again everyone! So one thing you should know about me is that I am a history nut due to me being an Aspie. I love military/political history. I live and breathe that stuff. I love it. I have liked to look at the comparison between the LDS church, and its society, to that of historical regimes.

I know I brought this up before with Mormons and Ubermensch with mormons believing that they are the master people, and are above the rest of humanity. In other societies, one method of trying to preserve a certain kind of human and create more of them and keep a pure bloodline, was the practice of eugenics.

While the LDS Church puts a huge emphasis on missionary work, a big part of continuing the church is by properly breeding the next generation into the world.

Where else has this been seen? Throughout history this has been a practice of keeping control. From the 1500's to the 1700's the Hapsburg Family ruled Europe. That is a lot of power when you control the majority of a continent's governments, especially when those governments own global empires. That is power you don't want to let go, and you want to make sure your bloodline stays in power. You can't bring in impure blood because that will ruin the whole thing, and bring in unwanted heirs from different families. So the Hapsburgs would intermarry with each other. This obviously led to tons of inbreeding and tons of progressive birth defects and health problems. Eventually their regime fell because people either wanted to govern themselves, practice religious freedom, or have a constitutional monarchy, etc.

One of the more well known and later regimes was Nazi Germany. While the Nazis did implement the holocaust in their eugenics programs killing anywhere from 15 to 17 million people, they also made sure certain people cranked out tons of children, while others were sterilized. "Lebensborn hausen" or "Birth houses" were constructed to try and increase the birth rate of the Aryan people.

Many other regimes have practiced this such as the Soviet Union, Saddam Hussein's Iraq, Communist Cambodia, Maoist China, North Korea, Iran, ISIS, as well as many others.

But one commonly overlooked group is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. For a very long time the Church opposed interracial marriage. In their early years under Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, The LDS church did everything in their power to make sure mormons would only interact with mormons and no one else, and make sure that they were racially pure. When you look at the early history of the church, the majority of foreign converts were White Northern Europeans. The American members were descendants of White Northern Europeans as well. While they did try to preach to the Native Americans, they still would avoid them, because they believed that they were cursed. They also would not allow black slaves into their midst without their masters' permission, and even then avoided them for the same reason as the native americans.

Over one hundred years has passed, and the dreams of empire of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young is now a long forgotten memory, lost to the sands of time. The LDS Church has now ok'd interracial marriage and preaches to all different kinds of people, but is there still a chance that they practice eugenics? My friends, I am afraid the answer is yes.

As you all know, Children in the Mormon Corridor are carefully reared to become the next generation of the Church. They are taught that their life's goals are as follows: Be a worthy mormon and marry in the temple and start a family. Also if you are a male, it is a commandment to serve a mission free of charge.

As children progress from childhood into puberty and their teenage years they are taught the proper way to date and marry, as well as who. LDS teens are taught to date and marry ONLY members who have high standards. In fact in Seminary classes, interfaith marriage is taught as a sin. LDS teenagers are taught that if they marry outside of the church they will be throwing away their born-in-the-covenant birthright. They are taught that they will lose temple blessings and screw over their posterity.

In my own case I had, let me rephrase that, HAVE a very hard time with that one. We are taught(somewhat) to be friendly and kind to persons not of our faith(to convert them). But when it comes to marrying them, They immediately become impure filth we need to avoid. Then you start thinking "non-members can be good people, but not good enough that we would dare call them family, that's fucked up" "We can't share bloodlines with these people, that's fucked up too" "These people are of impure stature, fuck it, HEIL MONSON!!!"

It isn't something that is naturally mormon quirky anything. It is evil, archaic, and wrong.

Again please comment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pamelapotrey ( )
Date: December 09, 2015 03:36PM

***WOW***

Good on you , Exmo Aspie !

Insightful ! I've felt all of this before. You did a great job putting this all into words.
Thx !

Date: December 09, 2015 03:43PM

No thank you :)

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 09, 2015 03:44PM

I've never looked at this in exactly this way before...

...but now that you have pointed it out Exmo Aspie, I completely agree with your analysis!!!

Date: December 09, 2015 03:59PM

Thank you!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 09, 2015 09:23PM

Very interesting, and insightful.

Ironic how the Mormon 'eugenics' has passed its 'zenith,' but the impetus is still intact.

The fact it has been self-perpetuating for some generations.

Has it really been openly accepting of inter-racial marriages though?

That isn't something I've paid attention to since leaving years ago, but when I left with my family there were relatively very few if any inter-racial marriages in any of the wards or branches where I spent time.

Thanks for raising a very stirring conversation.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: December 09, 2015 09:35PM

Nice take on Mormon eugenics and interesting history. Thanks for this.

Posted by: sherlock94 ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 12:51PM

A very interesting read!

In my experience (I only left the Morg 6 years ago) there were still undertones of social stigma about interracial marriage.
My oldest brother even had opposition from some of the higher ups when he married his wife of Jamaican descent ( who by the way are still very happily married to this day)

Very interesting analysis

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.