Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 09:14AM

It's spring, getting ready for summer. That means it's time for UT Boy Scouts to be in the news again for doing something stupid.

This time they had several canoes going down the Jordan River. [In flood stage?!?!?? What were the "leaders" thinking, and where were the parents that would allow their sons to go canoeing down a rive on the verge of flooding??]

The inevitable happened with 2 canoes turning over in a section known as the "Drowning Machine." It has that name for a reason.

Luckily they either made it to shore, or were rescued after grabbing limbs.

I didn't both to look up link(s), but I am sure someone can provide one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 09:20AM

Link:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51668072-78/swept-river-fire-leader.html.csp

I think there's an "Almost Drown" merit badge in the SLC Area Council.

Ron

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 09:38AM

ROTFLMAO

Posted by: anon ex-scoutmaster ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 09:30AM

I would love to see a copy of their tour permit application. The council approved this during flood stage?

If they did it's a Utard lack of brains.

Date: April 21, 2011 09:41AM

Under comments, someone said this is no longer required. If so, it sounds like they are trying to deny accountability, and placing it on the group that screws up.

Hmmmm. Sound like a church anyone knows, where the upper level isn't accountable for anything? It is always some low-level bishop who mis-spoke or said something dumb, and wasn't speaking for the organization (or in cases of upper level, was only speaking as a man).

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 10:09AM

I have also heard that in addition to not requiring the formal training required of traditional unit leaders, mormon leaders are also not required to be checked against the national register of sex offenders.

so why would they be required to obtain tour permits. My unit goes nowhere without a permit.

But it is necessary that our scouts be insured, since a number of them have no insurance.

It comes back down to the basic question, when will the liability of mormons in scouting outweigh the benefit of the numbers (paper) they provide?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 09:34AM

The USDA Forest Service calls BSA "the scourge of the forest" because of the damage they do with 30-50 kids and 4 adult "leaders".

I can see why!

Date: April 21, 2011 09:39AM

In instances like this, no wonder I call that state UTARD, duh!

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 10:47AM

On Sunday morning, tearful testimony will be given on how the priesthood and god protects idiots.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 12:04PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 10:58AM

Do your homework and STOP this kind of madness!

If you're not interested in doing the job, quit. It's better for boys to stay home and give up scouting than to die from lack of leadership.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 12:02PM

My grandson was one of the boys who ended up in the river. When my daughter emailed to tell what had happened my first thought was why are they on the river during the runoff. Though my daughter is not a member of the LDS CHurch, I think parents have a tendency to assume that scout leaders know exactly what they are doing and have the skills to handle everything that comes up. Sadly, wisdom or smarts is not necessarily required for the role.

Date: April 21, 2011 03:17PM

Glad he's OK. If your daughter hasn't figured it out, let her know that LDS troop leaders (which I assume it was) are given the job as a church calling, not because they know anything about scouting.

Posted by: sukiyhtaky ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 02:47PM

Don't make an assumption based on your prejudices. Chances are with the mother being non-LDS it was probably not an LDS sponsored group. If that is indeed the case, would you be willing to jump on the finger pointing bandwagon and say all non-LDS BS troops are led by volunteers who don't have a clue about what they are doing?

Accidents happen and when you are dealing with parent volunteers you are lucky to have someone who cares enough to show up and be part of the group instead of standing back and just complaining when something goes wrong.

I have to say though Ron's remark about the almost drowned badge was amusing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2011 02:49PM by sukiyhtaky.

Date: April 22, 2011 07:16PM

Sorry to disappoint you, I resigned last year. It doesn't demean me to call for fairness and civility, whereas it would demean me if I were to be unfair and post half-truths or to outright lie about things. To whine and act like drunken frat boys or to post derogatory and insulting language won't endear you to anyone either. Respect begets respect. In all the years I have dealth with mormons, I have never had any problems or seen any of the behavior many allude to on this board.

Posted by: drewmeister ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 11:23PM

Well, that settles it then, Elder suki.. definitely every other person on this board is lying, because your anecdotal evidence trumps theirs entirely!

Date: April 23, 2011 08:22PM

Well, if you want to be judgemental and call them liars that is up to you. All I can do is offer my experiences. Now since I have been here I have been called so many mysoginistic curse words it makes my head spin, JUST because I don't agree with what a lot write. The 'iffin yur not with us yur agin us' mentality. There are lots of issues to be critical about, why not post them in civil ways that invite discourse and when people from SL look in don't give them fodder for calling everyone a raving lunatic. You wouldn't go into a court of law screaming and yelling every obscure thing that flew through your head, why do it here in hopes shit will stick. Sugar will convince more people about your views.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 11:32PM

sukiyhtaky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In all the years I have dealth with mormons...

I rather like that word, "dealth." It sounds like a mismash of "dealt" and "death." I think that a lot of exmos could relate to that word when it comes to their interactions with certain Mormons.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 06:17PM

As it happens, it was an LDS Church troop.

Posted by: drewmeister ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 11:26PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 02:49PM

"almost-drowning" victims at BS river runs sponsored by the LDS church.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 07:03PM

Once again,

LDS BOY SCOUT LEADERS ARE NOT VOLUNTEERS NECESSARILY.

When you are called by God to a calling, and you have been conditioned that you cannot refuse, you are NOT a volunteer.

Not always true, of course, but true often enough that LDS BOY SCOUT DEATHS account for more than 80% - 90% of all scout deaths, even if they live in New Jersey.

One should always seriously consider letting someone with poor critical thinking skills take an innocent child into the wilderness-or even into a dangerous activity like canoeing.

Would you let your child go if the notice said, "We'd like to take your child canoeing past the Death Machine"

Anagrammy

Date: April 22, 2011 07:18PM

Volunteer = unpaid by any definition. Church callings are strictly volunteer and many decline them from what I've seen.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 09:08PM

Volunteer=unpaid
LDS Calling=paid by worthiness points and coercion implicit in statement "never turn down a calling"

A coerced "volunteer" is that in name only.

Why are you defending the Mormon Church? Haven't you ever been called to a position you hated but felt forced to accept? And how did your resentment affect your performance?

Anagrammy

PS. You do sound kind of apologetic here, sorry to say.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 09:23PM

The river is at flood stage, the water was close to freezing and it is recommended that you not be on the river until July. We have had a cold and wet spring and the river is overflowing the banks and practically touching the bottom of the bridges. Whether they are Mormon or not, it was a really dumb idea.

Posted by: Gullible's Travel's ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 11:17PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.