Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 12:24AM

So I went to the Nativity event with my tbm parentals tonight (basically just a bunch of nativities and touchy feely jesus stuff), and it was interesting, a couple who was assigned to be there and answer questions/guide people noted quietly to us that the attendance dropped big time from last year's event. I was just thinking, "Hmmm... Could have something to do with the policies and essays that have been coming out lately...".
And I couldn't stop myself from quietly wondering out loud, "Crazy that all these Jesuses are white? With neatly trimmed facial hair.. You would think they would look more like my friend Ali, from Iran (Syria, he calls it)". Sparked an interesting conversation with my parents lol. Because they couldn't find a single middle eastern looking jesus in the display of about 10 jesus pics, and they almost seemed to find it strange as well.
Anyway, pretty nativities, and it was nice to see my parents. Much less uncomfortable to visit a stake center when it's disguised as a christmas art gallery ;)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 12:28AM

Date: December 13, 2015 12:30AM

Nope, it was nativities around the world. Very similar though.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 12:32AM

To hell in a handbasket Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nope, it was nativities around the world. Very
> similar though.

Okay! Now your comment about them all looking White has the necessary context for us to go, "Ooooooh!"

Date: December 13, 2015 12:34AM

haha. to be fair, some of the actual nativities had variety (and some were so abstract it would be hard to tell a race). But the 'jesus room' with a crown of thorns on a red cloth and a million jesus pics and quotes had all white jesuses. Maybe some of the jesuses were tan.. but still very aryan/caucasian.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 12:34AM

humans like their gods to look like themselves.

Date: December 13, 2015 12:36AM

In whose likeness do they make their devils?

Date: December 13, 2015 12:40AM

You know, I wasn't (un)fortunate enough to make it to a temple ceremony.. so I couldn't bear witness on that one XD I heard stan is a hottie in one of the movie versions tho

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 06:45PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> In whose likeness do they make their devils?

Whatever country is next-door and unliked.
You know, like Mexico ;-)

Date: December 13, 2015 06:50PM

So they'd be handsome Devils!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 06:55PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> So they'd be handsome Devils!

Of course! I thought that was a given...? :)

Honestly, though, my first time through the temple (LA temple, 1978), my first thought on seeing the Satan character in the movie: "He looks Mexican."

Posted by: ipseego2 ( )
Date: December 14, 2015 09:42AM

My house Nativity is made in Mexico. Child Jesus looks like a little rascal. I like that.

I put a Santa Claus in there, too. I mean, if Jesus was a good boy, Santa came to him, didn't he?

Date: December 13, 2015 12:45AM

Ooooh... I also read those fill in the blank coloring sheets, that said "I can serve jesus by _____" and one of the local kids had put "paying my tihing". (yes. tihing. because he was not old enough to know that tithing has a 't' in it.. why is a child who isn't old enough to sound out words worrying about tithing???). There were a variety of other answers that made me cringe....

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 01:48AM

I imagine the Lethbridge East Stake will again stage their live outdoor nativity this year...and I will again avoid it...and pray the temp drops to -30 for those nights it's performed....my bad.

RB

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 01:35PM

That one is a perennial favorite. (And, to me, anyway, HOWLINGLY funny!)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 01:41PM

It's my favorite Naivety scene.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 08:24PM

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 03:31PM

Member organized for members to mix for the Christmas scene (and invite the general public, jackmos, nactives, formons, normons, and kormons {kooky mormons} to see Jesus in an LDS chapel)... and get the kids out of the house, and away from the alternatives, to the church one more time.

Besides (lung yadie missionaries at the doors) and the Nativity Scenes in the gym, and the Jesus activities, like someone has mentioned already, and I have included word for word below, (and chips and hummus, pimento green olives, feta cheese and other tastes) in "Bethlehem" (numerous moung yen missionaries there) [I mustn't forget to mention the kids running around wild, spilling-tossing feta cheese & raisens everywhere, essentially avoiding being glued to a pew next to the folks, dying of sickness], and (missionaries watching/ showing little videos in the baptism room), and various fanatics roaming the halls, the 'main program'/ mass (mixed religions) choir singing - for 2.67+ hours straight - without an intermission, so, naturally many felt trapped in the SMALL (Sacrament Meeting hALL) with singing, and featuring swinging testical monkeys in suits doing bad impersonations of Christianity, and how it feels to be stiff, and unable to move the way God would want you to move, and give us all your money, and thoughts, and time and talents, and all that. And get your children to tithe... in case they ever amount to anything (FTC). Essentially a Sunday (dis-) service on a Saturday.

"Just as the wise men brought the baby Jesus gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh, I will offer the Savior a gift this Christmas a gift from my heart my gift to Jesus is"

- blank space -

"name ______________ Christmas 2015"

"Roll up this paper, tie it with a string, place it on your tree as a daily reminder of your gift to to Jesus this Christmas season"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.