Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: December 15, 2015 03:24PM

So I decided to skip Thanksgiving with the fam and spend with some friends this year, and I found to my surprise I was actually missing being with my family. So I decided to attend our extended family Christmas get together last Sunday.

I immediately realized I didn't miss my family, I missed the idea of family. The entire evening was awkward, uncomfortable, and not fun at all as I spent the entire time overhearing people's comments about having to be subjected to great movies with a single F bomb, work parties that involved *gasp* alcohol, and fielded "I hate silence so I'm gonna ask questions" questions.

It was clear nobody was enjoying themselves, it was all just an event to fool themselves into thinking we function as a normal family and care about each other. Of course, there's little to no communication between everyone outside of these formal get-togethers.

I honestly would've preferred a dentist appointment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 15, 2015 03:25PM

exldsdudeinslc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I honestly would've preferred a dentist
> appointment.

So spot on. I'm not a fan of those, so this was the perfect analogy.

Date: December 15, 2015 03:26PM

"I missed the idea of family."

I'm jealous of a lot of families. Just not Don B.'s extended family.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 15, 2015 04:27PM

Thankfully, I have non-Mormon family, but since my exmo sister died, I realize I can't always count of having non-Mormon relatives. Friends are also dying off, so someday, I might celebrate by myself which would not be such a bad option.

Posted by: Jive Turkey ( )
Date: December 15, 2015 04:49PM

I am in same boat as OP. What is strange to me is that as I see FB posts by momo friends and family; I literally cannot believe I EVER believed anything related to the religion. On a related note, a friend posted how she rejects the concept of climate change ( which I somewhat do also). However, just because LDS thinking is so defective (I.e. they're wrong about everything) I almost think I need to reevaluate all of my thinking and remove any residual Mormon effects (which are already very little).

Posted by: Jake ( )
Date: December 31, 2015 01:13AM

Why reject climate science? The denialists are all being funded by fossil fuel industry, as far as I can tell. The climate models have been making accurate predictions. If you have doubts about climate change, I'd suggest reading science-oriented sites and not paying too much attention to catchy Facebook memes.

Posted by: Jake ( )
Date: December 31, 2015 01:16AM

PS on climate science:

"Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals1 show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position."

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

Posted by: Wellwell ( )
Date: December 31, 2015 02:06AM

Thanks for posting that. People are tragically great at denying negative information even when should be apparent we have need of concern, some play the fiddle and laugh

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: December 15, 2015 04:58PM

The fact that you happen to be swimming in the same gene pool as your family members doesn't mean that you have anything else in common.

Posted by: miner8 ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 06:36PM

Families are the friends you don't choose. I'm pretty sure all this hype about families is just because large organizations that cannot control people at the smallest level. It's hard for Federal government and churches to watch individuals 24/7 to make sure they behave so they encourage them to organize into more convenient groups of families then give special privileges to family heads for keeping them all in line-while just calling on the family heads when wanting to deal with everybody. That seems to be the real reason behind this LDS "priest" thing in particular.

Of course people in families are more likely to come to affect one another. I'm sure some dummy could twist my words around to mean I think families are bad. What I don't like is the way they discourage defooing in bad and destructive families. There are certainly a lot of good family relationships and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm referring to the reason people are together-whether its natural or forced. The fact that organizations feel the need to even get involved with families is ridiculous. Families shouldn't have to report to them.

Posted by: zero ( )
Date: December 15, 2015 05:04PM

Your post exactly summed up my last family (parents/siblings) get together! That's why I've been on RfM lately! I just needed some reassurance for my initial thought which was that, "You guys (my family) believe all that crazy crap, but just because I don't that makes ME the black sheep of the family"??? What the heck! (For the record I'm a normal guy with a nice family (wife and kids). The sole reason for the friction is my disbelief!)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 01:55AM by zero.

Date: December 15, 2015 05:44PM

zero Wrote:
> The sole reason for the friction is my disbelief!)

Mine has been two fold for a decade. My refusing to buy into their "Happy Family" fiction as well as my refusal to listen to all their Mo crap. I get enough Moism from the family I started and I have enough guilt for changing the rules on my wife. I don't need my family downloading all their crappy happy family fiction laced with Mormonism.

They like to talk about each other behind each other's backs and then treat each other and our parents like we are the greatest family ever. Also, I refuse to think my pedigree is important. I absolutely hate the ancestor worship in my family. Young was a bastard, Brown was a tacit racist, and The Four Zinas should have left polygamy and Mormonism in the dust.

What's to worship there?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 15, 2015 07:24PM

If I never saw any of my Mormon family, it wouldn't change much. Hardly ever see them now.

RB

Posted by: Gone girl ( )
Date: December 15, 2015 08:14PM

My extended family has left the church for the most part, but we still have that awkward, uncomfortable, surface interaction. No one really has a true relationship. It feels like no one really gives a damn about anyone, my mom just wants bodies there to feel like there is a "family". I think maybe the Mormonism traditions die out slowly. These people are a cold, boring bunch. Ive always felt so lonely and out of place. I feel like I was raised by a foster family. I've been able to limit these must attend events to 3 a year and it still feels like too many. I am the same as OP and I would be perfectly content to never attend another. In fact I am looking for a way to achieve that. When my children have children, which isn't far off, is it politically correct to shift my focus to my family only? Anyone have any experience with this. I feel guilty for never showing. I guess it's a respect "for the office" that I am 'obliged to honor' feeling.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 15, 2015 08:58PM

I work with someone who just can't wait to be with family at Holidays and always comes back saying how much fun it was. The worst is I can tell she's not lying. She loves it.

I just can't even comprehend. I did go to one of her family events one time when invited and it was a blast. They are ultra religious--catholic--but you wouldn't know it. Never wear it on their sleeves like some other people we know.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: December 15, 2015 09:34PM

My family: typical TBM, passive aggressive, braggarts, religion every other word, manipulative, and shallow. A few of them are diagnosed looney, others need to be diagnosed. My wife has forced me to attend some family gatherings over the years. Now I just have to say "Remember every time you pushed me to join those things? Now how where those events?" She drops it.

My wife's family, mostly warm and open. Very diverse (3 out of 4 interracial/cultural marriages), still have their problems but there is a lot of love. They do occasionally drive each other crazy, but they still obviously care. Nothing shallow or hidden.

Date: December 15, 2015 11:34PM

the1v Wrote:
> My family: typical TBM, passive aggressive,
> braggarts, religion every other word,
> manipulative, and shallow.

Ditto

> My wife's family, mostly warm and open.

Ditto

Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: December 15, 2015 10:35PM

In the back of my mind, I've always thought I wanted to escape Utah, I'm just always so petrified of change (to those who've seen my prior posts I'm sure I sound like a broken record :P).

Well, with this last family event, I think I have finally become desperate enough to break out of that fear and I've started looking for jobs out of state. Already I feel so free even at the very prospect of getting the hell outta dodge and starting a new life. Of course, I want to be cautious because moving won't fix everything. Wherever I am, no matter where it is, all of my baggage and internal problems will also be right there with me.

Date: December 15, 2015 11:33PM

Worked for me. Left in 2000 and never looked back.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: December 15, 2015 11:10PM

The last time my entire family of origin got together was in 1982. I have to say I haven't missed any of it. I'm not planning a reunion anytime soon. What amazes me is that nobody from that 1982 photo op has died. I swear they've already lived for eternity.

Date: December 15, 2015 11:35PM

Reminds me of The Breakfast Club song - Don't you forget about me.

I wouldn't mind if mine did. 1982 was a long time ago. I last had a photo op in 2002.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 15, 2015 11:38PM

I'm the same as you.
My extended family are all crazy and I want nothing to do with them.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 11:47AM

If my siblings were strangers, I would never pick them as friends. They're TBMs but not obnoxious about it, so Mormonism isn't the issue. I just don't have anything in common with them other than some genes and a little history. It's like I was adopted. Or conceived by someone other than Dad.

Do I miss the idea of family? No, since I have no frame of reference. My family was more like a group of temps at a small, boring company. I've had friends with really close, happy, nurturing, supportive families, and I'm not envious. I don't need that. I'm independent and introverted. Social contact is more stressful than rewarding. Spending Christmas alone is my gift to myself.

Date: December 16, 2015 12:25PM

Is RfM social contact?

Posted by: Feijoada ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 01:37PM

Families forever together? That would be real Mormon Hell.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: December 31, 2015 01:17AM

I hope your family isn't full of dentists like mine is.

How does one choose in that situation?

Hmmm, my Oncologist is someone I prefer.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: December 31, 2015 06:02AM

I see people as individuals--mostly because my father and mother each were strong personalities, and very different from each other--but their partnership worked well. Likewise, their extended families were different.

My mother's Salt Lake family were Mormon Royalty-GA's, apostles, temple and mission presidents, stake presidents, and on down the line. They were interested in money and prestige, which was inherited from the first Mormons. They were boring, authoritarian, and punitive. No love. Still, they liked their cabins and boats and other toys, and played a lot. I loved to water ski.

My father's Provo family were Mormon Utah politicians, and were very active in establishing BYU. They were intellectuals. Their wealth was self-made, through their various careers. They were philanthropists. They traveled all over the world. As a child, I listened, spellbound, to their stories.

Now I'm middle-aged, and can see that both sides of the family have changed, much as the Mormon cult has changed. They are more judgmental. No one talks anymore. The patriarchs and professors give a 45-minute spiel, instead of a direct reply to any question or comment. The fun is gone. I'm not stupid enough to think any of them would be interested in me--I'm a twice-divorced single mother, with a man's career that earns "women's wages" in Utah. Though I've supported my children alone, have put them through college, and they have turned out to be very successful, happy, and--good honest hard-working people--no one even talks to them, because they left the cult with me.

My children never could stand being snubbed--this is why they don't snub others--and they eventually refused to go to the family parties and reunions. This family makes a huge fuss over my two cousins who have hyped and self-promted themselves as CEO's of a MLM. My sons were being educated at the U in business, and were getting great jobs, and I felt these con-men could be a bad influence on them. Go back and read what Jive Turkey wrote!

After a lifetime of buying into their Mutual-back-slapping and apple-polishing arrogance--you are realizing that you might be too good for them!

As for the intellectuals in Provo--more than half of my cousins and their children have left the cult. We still have two reunions a year, and no one mentions church. We do have a lot in common, such as music. At our Christmas party, we sing carols, like a choir, in harmony. Some of the talented grandchildren perform--BYU music majors. Music is the universal language.

Take the example to the Kennedy family, who play football with each other. My kids golf, ski, mountain bike, hike, and go on road trips together.

There are thousands of images of "family", and Mormons have been stuck with only one: the family silently bowing their head around the dinner table, while the father pray. No wonder they aren't close!

I haven't seen my mother's Mormon Royalty family for 5 years, now. See the Provo family every few months. It's only natural that my children and I would feel closer to the ex-Mormons than the Mormons.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.