Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thatsnotmyname ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 10:46AM

I'm just wondering because I remember doing 2 sessions in a row and getting a different "sacred" name for each person.

Or does the "same name for everyone that day" rule only apply for live people taking out their endowments and not temple work for the dead?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 10:48AM

Yes, it's true.
I don't know about different new names for dead-proxy-people...it's been confirmed they use the same name all day, so perhaps a temple worker messed up, or you remember incorrectly...?

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 10:51AM

I forgot my secret name when I first got my endowments and I had to embarrassingly tell a temple worker (a different worker than the one that first gave me the name). He told me the same name I had received from the other worker and that was several hours after the first worker gave me the name. So there must be a name that is given to everyone for that day.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 10:58AM

Why can't there be some man (has to be a man, of course), who similar to a Patriarch, blesses you with a name, so it's personal? ;) LOL- nothing is personal in TSCC. And what's wrong with the earthly name that your parents blessed you with at birth, since baby blessings are a big to-do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 10:59AM by hausfrau.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 01:24PM

LOL. That would make it more "special" I suppose.

It's all about removing the initiate's individuality and making them an insider.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 12:25PM

Yes, and I didn't know that until I worked at the veil for the first time. It took a slight toll on my testimony. Every now and again a man or woman comes through on any certain day with a one-off name, invariably Adam or Eve. That turns out to be the odd person whose real name turns out to be the "new name." If the "new name" is, say, Joshua, and you're actually named Joshua, the codger giving you the name would have caught that when assigning you the new name, and changed the new name on the spot to Adam. Quick thinking, old man! Whew. Awkward moment averted.

Man, don't you miss the temple?!

Date: December 16, 2015 01:25PM

LOL!

Alert! Back up name needed!

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 12:37PM

Yep, everyone gets the same name on a given day, regardless of "live" or "proxy" work. I even remember adding that to my shelf in the MTC as an oddity that I couldn't explain. On P-days at the time I was there, Missionaries were encouraged to go through the Temple... So, I went, often a couple of times in a day and always got the same name. I thought it was odd, because the names were surely inspired, weren't they??? Well, nope turns out they aren't.

Someone here built a database and threw a website around it and figured out the patterns used to give out the names. You can add your own to the database if you remember the date, or at least the day of the month, that you went through.

The pattern has changed a couple of times over the years, but it's still predictable... If you want to freak out someone that you know is is about to get their work done, call them by their "new name" before they go through and if they question you about it, act all mysterious about how you just felt they were always named that way...

Link to the website with all the names listed:
http://www.fullerconsideration.com/templenameoracle.php

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 12:39PM by Finally Free!.

Date: December 16, 2015 01:03PM

Doesn't the church know about this and change them up ever?

Guess what? Looked up the last day I went to the temple and sure enough there was the name I was given to use that day!!!!!!

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 01:13PM

There's no need to change things up. Sure they make some changes every decade or so, but if you're a TBM, you're not looking for things like that. Like me, it's just a mild oddity that you put on a shelf and poke at every now and then.

I do wonder what temple workers think about it or what they are told. Probably something like the temple president prays over the names and selects the ones for the day as inspired, or something like that, which is probably how I would have written it off.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 06:00PM

The website was started in July 2012. The church changed the list in late 2013. Coincidence?

You decide, but they hadn't changed the list in more than two decades, and when they did they only changed half the names. Sneaky bastards. It made it hard to detect that the list had changed, but within a few months we grew suspicious, and within a year we fully caught on. We're still waiting for their next attempt to try to outsmart us.

Posted by: bender ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 12:42PM

Wait, so my dad and older brother probably know my new name, since they went with me to the temple when I did my endowments? It's the same name name they got for their dead proxy? I never thought of that.

Date: December 16, 2015 12:59PM

Thanks for the responses everyone - I don't know what happened that day, maybe I remember it wrong but I'm certain the same name would have jumped out at me. Maybe one was Eve.

I would love to find out the names of people close to me and casually "accidentally" call them by their temple names. ha!

Date: December 16, 2015 01:21PM

I thought they probably had a couple of names for women and a couple for men on any particular day.

Who knows. Maybe each temple worker had a name or two assigned to give.

Maybe they just have a rotating list.

Way back when, they had this tiny slip of paper they gave you with a number on the back (like 1, 2, or 3). I guessed that had to do with which "new" name was assigned to that proxy name on the paper.

I doubt all temples did it the exact same way back then.

If a situation came up where they had to retrieve the name for some true believer, they would have to have an archive system or just make up a new one.

Anyway, it is certain that they had a name that was predominantly used on rotating days. Whether or not they had a few names or what the rules were, I never figured out.

Honestly, it all seems so incredibly stupid now. I can't believe I played along.

Posted by: AlmostGoneOne ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 02:04PM

The 1,2,3 are for which new name booth you go through.

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 01:03PM

Yes - confirmed.

I used to be a temple worker and when they did the pre-game huddle each day, they'd put up the male and female names on an overhead and they were the names of the day. There is one set of names for days 1-31 of a month.

I remember feeling duped into thinking that my new name was special... but in reality there is a 1 in 31 chance that another male member has the same name as me... Well the church has revised the names here and there so it's probably 1 in 50.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 02:29PM

This is how it works at least at the Provo temple: If the person you are doing proxy for has the same name as the "new" name, then the proxy will get the name "Eve" if female, or "Adam" if male. So if you got different names, was one of them Eve or Adam?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.