Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tillamook ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 02:13PM

That is about as honest as saying "If you want to know if the baseball was a strike, just ask the pitcher".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 02:17PM

... but, yes, I too have been pretty amazed at how lame this bit of Morgbot speak really is. I didn't even like it much when I was a Morgbot myself.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 02:20PM

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 02:23PM

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 02:24PM

Posted by: geneticerror ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 05:26PM

I need to remember this one.

Posted by: NoToJoe ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 06:19PM

If you want to know about that used car....don't talk to anyone but the used car salesman....you know, the guy with the plaid pants, combover and keeps giving you the thumbs up!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 02:36PM

If you wanted to know about a Honda, would you go to the Toyota dealership?

NO, I'd get on the itnernet and I'd look up the car I'm interested in on a site that tells all the good things people like about it, but mostly the problems people have had with it. I want to know the things the dealer WON'T tell you.

How stupid is that question anyway? Actually maybe they WOULD go by whatever the dealer tells them because they've been taught to believe whatever the person in charge tells you and to never ever question.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 10:32PM

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 02:38PM

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 02:51PM

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 02:49PM

If you want to know if college players accept money, ask Cam Newton.

Posted by: tara ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 03:21PM

If you wanted to know if Bernie Madoff was running a straight game, you should have asked Bernie Madoff.

If you want the truth about Enron's accounting practices, ask Lay, Skilling, and Fastow.

If you want to know the truth about any product or company ask their marketing representative. Surely, no one in their right mind would consult an independent source such as consumer reports, the better business bureau, or forums that candidly discuss the downside. And definitely don't discuss the product or company with someone who is disgruntled because they were given a defective product or felt they were not treated fairly...(end of sarcasm)

Maybe Mormons do really believe that line and that is why they are sucked into frauds more. Lots of my Mormon friends fall for every get rich quick scheme.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 03:30PM

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 03:38PM

when we would come across people who would debate,

If you wanted to know about a Ford, you wouldn't go to a Chevy dealer...

and also the authority thing

If you were speeding and an ice cream man tried to pull you over, would you stop?

Hilarious stuff thinking back on it.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 04:25PM

The problem is, most Mormons don't have a clue about Mormonism. I was a member for 30 years, BYU grad, RM and I was absolutely astonished at what I didn't know about the history and doctrine. God bless the internet! I only knew what they were willing to tell me. And I had no idea what the members were really like, until I quit going and the masks came off. I'm still reeling from that one.

Thanks, but anyone knows when you are researching a paper, you read pros, cons and neutral sources. You don't just go to the Toyota dealer to write a learned paper on Toyotas. He won't have the whole picture about the organization and he won't tell you anything negative if he wants to keep his job. It's a dumb comparison.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 10:11PM

If you want to know what everyone else believes, ask a Mormon.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 10:12PM

If you want to know who is and who isn't a troll, just ask RFMers.

Obligatory smiley face - :)

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 10:16PM

The mormons are also the lords of inductions, deductions, suspicions, but probably not yet physical abductions though.

Posted by: experienced bank robber ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 10:30PM

We're so credible ;)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 10:40PM

Yep. I've said it before, but it's like making a huge purchase from the Shopping Channel and only listening to the slick salesman, without ever going on-line to read reviews, or to check out the competition at all.

No one would think that such a bright idea, and yet the Mormons don't want you reading about them anywhere else.

I'd call that a huge red flag, I would.

Date: April 21, 2011 10:44PM

Yeah that's an object of discussion where they are certain not to be idiots at least...

Date: April 21, 2011 10:51PM

'Introducing Mormonism - what we would want you to look at it as a novice, Mormonism for dummies'

or

'A typical Mormon - how we would love you to regard us like'

lovely

wouldn't we all love to have that teacher's privilege...

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 12:46AM

For example:

Rebecca Loos
I've heard many times that Mormons don't actually follow the precepts of the Book of Mormon. One example I often hear is that polygamy was strongly denounced in the Book of Mormon and then it was followed by the Mormons. I've never read more than bits and pieces of the Book of Mormon and the Doctrines and Covenants so I don't know how to judge this claim. Would you be willing to give me your view on the accuracy or inaccuracy of the claim that Mormons don't follow the Book of Mormon?

Reply (by the person I addressed the above to)
I cannot speak for any who do not follow the precepts of the Book of Mormon. I am not willing to discuss such claim you have suggested. That accuracy or inaccuracy of that claim did not begin with me. Wherever you heard such claim perhaps it best to speak to them who propagate such personal opinion.

My thoughts: Then why should I bother to ask Mormons anything? They don't answer!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 01:30AM

same bogus idea.

Posted by: sukiyhtaky ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 02:36PM

If you want to learn about anything, ask a person in/pro, a person out/con, someone with no stake in it pro or con, and read read read from both sides. Then make up your own mind based on what you can live with and can't live with. Above all though, don't ridicule others if they don't agree with your opinion.

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 04:17PM

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 04:21PM

I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon. I always read the best comments and the most critical comments on a product. Sometimes the critics come across as crazy, bitter or have issues with the product that don't concern me. Sometimes they point out flaws or problems with the product that cause me to change my mind about buying it.

Anyone who makes a major investment without looking at all sides is looking to be taken. Of course LDS literature is going to be all gooey and glowing. They are selling you a religion, and the price is your time, money and freedom. If you don't ask people who had a negative experience with the product, you are setting yourself up to make the same mistakes they did.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 06:12PM

And they are taught as missionaries to not answer the question you asked, but the question you *should* have asked. That tells you all you need to know about Mormonism right there.

Posted by: sweettasteofwoman ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 07:07PM

that is like asking some scam artist are they sincere and do they have integrity and a clean business record,it's like a bad car dealer who's trying to sell you a lemon the car dealer know the car is no good and have many problems and should not be sold,but the dealer job is to make money,so the car dealer tell lies about the vehicle just to sell it to make money.

if you want to learn about something you shall know them by their fruits.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 07:27PM

I think I'll ask:
Brent Metcalf
Dan Vogel
Juanita Brooks
Grant Palmer
Fawn Brodie
D.Michael Quinn
Simon Southerton
Dwayne Anderson
Avery

Yes some are dead and some are exed, but they were faithful mormons when they wrote their books in which we can find answers

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 07:53PM

Ask Sean Hannity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.