Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 10:54AM

A star? An angel?
Have you ever wondered as to the origin and the symbolism of the angel sitting atop the Christmas tree? Well, here's the real story.

It was the week before Christmas and everything was going to hell for Santa. Mrs. Claus was having a PMS episode beyond belief and letting Santa know about it. In addition, there were power failures in the toy shop and a number of the elves had gone on strike for more money. To top it off the reindeer had gotten a flu bug and were shitting all over the place. And of course the phone was falling off the hook with stores from around the world calling to see when their orders were going to arrive. At the height of this insanity, there was a pounding at the door. Santa stormed to the door and threw it open. In the doorway there stood an angel with a Christmas tree. The angel asked Santa "Where do you want to put this?"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 03:05PM by mankosuki.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 11:23AM

For the last ten years we have used a ...wait for it...TOP HAT...yup an old stove pipe hat...for nine years its significance went unnoticed...for nine years gawd was quietly getting us exposed to the true order of revelation in the great restoration...as soon as i can find a suitable rock to go in it...well have our own christmas oijia board...tendrr mercies by golly

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 11:23AM

LMAO

Finally we know why the Angel tops the tree. Love it!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 12:57PM

Very funny story, mankosuki!!!

:D :D :D

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 01:00PM

My exmo sister made a lovely Miss Piggy tree topper dressed in white like a bride. We've used it for over twenty years. We treasure it more than ever since she died last month.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 01:02PM

We've used a red bow for years.

My son mentioned that he wanted to put a Darth Vader helmet on top of his tree when he moves out.

If I find anything suitable with a Star Wars theme at a garage sale this summer, we'll change our tree topper.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 01:01AM

Ever since I was little, our tree topper has been a tacky gold plastic spire with bells and a pouf of fiberglass or something in between. When it was finally lost or damaged beyond repair, we tried replacing it with a painted Czech glass spire, but it wasn't the same. Thanks to Ebay, I was able to replace the original, as well as the Italian train lights from Sears Roebuck circa 1968. Somehow, angels never seemed comfortable in our house.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 01:10PM

I have a peacock for my purple tree and my tiny trees have a snowflake and a really fancy red bird that probably doesn't exist.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 07:07PM

The red bird is probably a cardinal. Named for the headdress of Cardinals, I think.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 07:08PM

I think a good choice is either a single star or a bunch of angels.

Date: December 19, 2015 07:12PM

No, I have a cardinal in another display and I know what those look like. This one is much fancier, with a long tail, and looks like it would be a tropical bird if it existed.

Posted by: Abigail ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 01:23PM

I have an owl. I love it! All the ornaments are brush bottle animals. I call it my pagan tree.

Posted by: lovechild ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 01:37PM

I like "angel" tree toppers.

My wife likes to top the tree with a "Star"

I you had to take a guess, what would you say is on the top of the tree at our house?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 01:41PM

Or the angel could wear a crown with a sparkling star on the forehead.

Posted by: lovechild ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 04:46PM

That, Cheryl, was a stroke of genius! I am going to suggest it to the chief superintendent.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 02:47PM

Love that angel joke, mankosuki. An angel with its wings broken off would be appropriate, I suppose, in honor of Mormon kookiness.

I have one of those tree toppers that looks like the spire on a Russian Orthodox church.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 03:18PM

We have the same red velvet ribbon bow we put on our first Christmas tree 48 years ago. They don't make ribbon like they used to make.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 04:31PM

On the larger tree we have an angel that lights up that we can plug in to the lights. On my little purple tree, I use a silver bow.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 04:55PM

I have a lot of ornaments. I hate to think that any of them might feel left out, so I have three different things at the top of my tree. Facing west, angel made by a friend many years ago. Facing northeast, star. Facing southwest, Santa.

I have to be very selective when I get my tree, so that the branching and tip are just right to hold all of that.

Exactly how many purple Christmas trees are there, out there? Am I missing a new (or old) trend?

Date: December 19, 2015 05:24PM

I had to visit the Unicorn Forest and answer a riddle to get mine. Then I had to promise my firstborn to some wrinkly weirdo.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 07:06PM

Oh, that explains it. I kept getting lost when I tried to find the Unicorn Forest. Ended up at Walmart every time. I finally gave up, which is probably fortunate, as I don't have a firstborn to use for bargaining.

But I could have traded some old snow tires.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 07:07PM by peculiargifts.

Date: December 19, 2015 07:14PM

Joke's on the weirdo because I don't either! Ha!

In all seriousness, I purchased it at Big Lots for $20. The had white, silver, pink, and teal trees with lights already attached. It's not as tacky as it sounds. :D

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 05:44PM

We've got one of those pop-up trees that's pre-lit and pre-decorated....it has a red bow near the top and sets up in like, 2 mintues. I hate putting up the tree and the lights so this is better for our marriage.

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 08:24PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 07:07PM

Last year it was an LED perspex angel, this year an LED perspex star.

It depends on what's on sale in Poundland or Poundworld, to be honest. ;o))

Posted by: g0rgone ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 09:44PM

I have tended to favor the true traditional pagan tree, hung upside down from the rafters, with allowance to spin freely, and covered in wood, bone, & feather ornaments.

But this year I dragged in a shapely wind felled dead tree from the park, spray painted it white to pewter, then wound it with purple lights. Now it's topped with a plastic articulated vulture. I think it's my best tree yet!!!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 09:57PM

Three big glitter encrusted bows with more glitter encrusted branches tucked in here and there. On top of that is a beautiful crown covered in jewels that I once bought at an auction for $4.
It's all very pretty and takes a fair amount of time to put together. I do it because I like the look of awe my grand babies have when they see all of that glitter that they can't get their hands on.

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: December 19, 2015 09:58PM

I used to always use a star on top of the tree, and I still love stars, especially ones that light up. But I decided that I don't like the religious symbolism of it in connection with Christmas. So this year, I found a pretty, dark pink, metallic bow that I attached to the top of the tree. It matches the lights and the ornaments, which are blue, green, pink, and red. And it makes it look like the Christmas tree is a present, all wrapped up for Christmas. So I'm thinking I'll use a bow from now on, and leave the sparkly stars for some other occasion.

My daughter wants to get a Flying Spaghetti Monster tree topper, and I agree that it would be fun, but I like my sparkly, glittery tree!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 12:19AM

Get a pretty spaghetti strainer, spray it with spray glue, and cover it with glitter. It will be gorgeous! Everyone will be happy, and your tree will be pretty.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 12:08AM

I wonder if the rock and hat will become tree ornaments now..... GAWD AWFUL!

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 01:14AM

A Santa hat

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 01:14AM

one of my wife's brothers gave us a devil tree topper. He's holding a pitchfork and looks a lot like the devil in Southpark episodes. I'd love to put it on our tree but my wife won't hear of it. Instead we have a boring star.

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: December 20, 2015 01:57AM

I have a star. I like it.

Growing up, I asked my mom once why we never had an angel on top of our tree. She said it's because angels don't really have wings and all the angels she'd heard of were male, so she didn't think a female with wings was a good representation of a real angel.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.