Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: whatYouSay ( )
Date: December 21, 2015 08:34AM

I was watching a clip from Dr. Phil. I've never watched a full show, but I do see clips on Youtube. This clip involves a Narcissistic mother whose adult daughters wanted resolution with her. She puts on a good show of fake crying. One thing I notice is there are no tears. I don't care who you are. If you trying to convince me that you are sincere, you better have puffy red eyes and real tears falling from them. choked up voices don't me squat!

Mother putting on a show

https://youtu.be/SisWQLpl6ME?t=581

Now one from Eyring see how quickly he pops back into normal mode?

https://youtu.be/l8tccvnKEy0?t=192

No tears, no tears.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: danr ( )
Date: December 21, 2015 09:09AM

If you cry while at the pulpit it is a Mormon sign that you have the spirit, and you will show the congregation that you really really have a testimony. Tears don't matter in Mormonism, it's the choking up part.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: December 21, 2015 10:45AM

Fake criers:

Holland - Bad
Eyring - WORST

Eyring cries to imply the spirit is behind what he is saying. How he can even talk through his "spiritual episodes" is amazing.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 07:40AM

Can you imagine the waterworks if God actually gave him any inspiration?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 21, 2015 11:36AM

Saw waaaay too much of that shit at F&T meeting when I was a kid and detested the fact I had to be there witnessing it. That sowed the seeds of disgust for all things Mormon that got me to where I am today.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 08:29AM

Same here...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 21, 2015 11:49AM

As a kid, I could do it too. Actors do it on stage and screen regularly.

It's called emoting. Once they start with the grimaces and sound effects, they can relate to the script or to a situation in their lives when they felt pain and grief.

My mother manipulated her kids and others by crying when she wanted attention, sympathy or affection.

I think many of us grew up with women like this since Mormon females are discouraged from being assertive and straight forward.

Fake crying was also always evident at fast and testimony meeting between the kiddie recitations, ranting, self congratulations, and occasional genuine tears.

Posted by: new guy ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 12:31AM

Well to be fair there's a quote in PMG that specifically states that crying does not equal the spirit. Not that it still doesn't happen

Date: December 24, 2015 05:32AM

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 07:15AM

Preach My Gospel.

That's the current iteration of the Missionary Guide.

Date: December 24, 2015 08:40AM

Members in general aren't even exposed to missionary discussions. Lesson manuals are for teaching and discussion, not for highlighting new revelations from God.

Posted by: fakeempire ( )
Date: December 25, 2015 11:00PM

My TBM MIL is a master fake crier. It's so damn annoying.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: December 26, 2015 03:47AM

That Eyring vid is creepy! The guy doesn't miss a beat, doesn't miss a word, and doesn't even BLINK!

When a normal person cries, their nose runs, too. The eyes water, and vision is obstructed, unless the tears are dabbed away. I used to act, and I could cry real tears. I would just get deep inside the character and the story.

When I truly cry, I'm not aware of my voice "breaking" at all.

I think Eyring hides behind his glasses. Good Lord--a crying person would at least BLINK!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.