Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sonofperdition ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 01:45AM

Unfortunately...

With the hiring of Kilane Sitake as head coach and Ty Detmer as the offensive coordinator (although not officially yet), BYU football is going to have one last hurrah. Sitake is extremely well respected in the polynesian community. Utah was able to get a large majority of the sought after poly recruits when he was a defensive coach there. Most of the LDS Poly community still believes Joseph's Myth. The Poly kids will be convinced by their families and church leaders to go play for a Tongan Coach on the Lard's team. Sitake is respected for a reason. He will convince those kids too. Detmer is smart and will get BYU's offense with Freshman player of the year QB Mangum playing phenomenal. I think BYU will be as tough as Notre Dame to beat in the upcoming years.

The Church is in decline. BYU football will suffer because of it. But BYU football will last a little bit longer because it's new coaching leadership.

I worry about Utah in recruiting now. Utah needs to compete with BYU now in recruiting the best Poly high school players. Utah needs to hire like minded polynesian coaches like Sitake to give them an edge or BYU might be showing them up on the gridiron for years to come. As long as Utah schedules them anyway.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jive Turkey ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 02:00AM

Anyone realize Ty Detmer must be fifty years old and this will be his first college coaching job? No I don't think things will change at all because they are desperate.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 02:22AM

any one realize that the Heisman trophy that Ty Detmer got actually belongs to Jim McMahon and Steve Young,

any one realize that Ty Detmer was stupid enough to join the MORmON church as a convert ........

anyone realize that giving Detmer the Heisman was about as stupid as Detmer .......

Posted by: El Stig ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 09:00PM

Given that when I was a fresh in HS, and my HS played Ty when he was a senior; he's not 50 something. He's 48

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 08:56AM

Has Detmer ever coached on ANY level? I can find no reference to his having done so.

I did find that in the NFL he had more INTs than TDs, and that he is tied for second in the number of INTs thrown in a single game (7!).

If he is hired as OC it's a dumb move.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 09:14AM

Doesn't Utah have an assistant coach who is Polynesian? I know that he was mentioned for the head coaching position at BYU. Also, Ken Niumatalolo of Navy has great ties to the Polynesian community, especially in Hawaii, when it comes to recruiting. He just got a nice new contract for choosing to stay at Navy, BTW.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 09:39AM

You worry about Utah's recruiting? Two words. Pac 12.

Posted by: throckmorton.p.guildersleeve ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 10:30AM

Yeah, I dont think I would worry too much about Utahs recruiting. First of all, now that they are in the Pac-12 their recruiting stretch has expanded beyond just needing to compete for local Utah players. Second, Any smart player first and foremost wants to play in a conference where he can get some national attention for playing against quality opponents. Where he has a chance at a national title and some national level awards, so even in Utah, The Utes have a nice advantage.

I don't doubt that BYU will get a few more Poly recruits now. I don't see that it really turns them into some kind of powerhouse at all. Even if they got every top flight poly recruit out there it doesn't somehow suddenly turn them into national champs.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 10:41AM

BYU will always struggle as an independent. There has been rumblings about BYU joining the Big 12, but I don't see it ever happening. BYU wants everyone to bow down to playing no Sunday games. Also, the national press took LD$ Inc. to task on denying baptism for children of gay parents.

It would be a mistake for BYU to get a reputation as the "poly school". I feel most recruits would want a diverse make up of players and classmates. Many top Mormon recruits are picking schools like Stanford just for that reason.

Go Utes!

Posted by: Bleeds Red Cabbie ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 10:51AM

BYU football is in decline? Whatever will I do?

At my age, watching the Utes drub the Y is the most fun I can have with my clothes on...

Posted by: Battle-Ax ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 11:52AM

Detmer is a good coach and comes from a well respected coaching family in Texas. He is head coach of a Texas High School team which in Texas is about the equivalent of a JR College in Utah. Texas Football is big time. I think they went 8-1 this year. He will do well and a perfect fit for BYU. I think it is good that BYU choose a man of color to be head coach good move. Utah is starting to recruit more on a national level so this won't hurt as much as it would of in the past. Deter was a great QB he was just to small for the NFL much like Doug Flutie but he did make a lot of money as a back-up for six teams, smart guy knowing you limitations. I think BYU has gone back to it roots and away from the Bronco GA mode and personally I'm excited to give it a second chance as my alma mater. As long as football is football and they leave the church shot at the door. I'm going to start the BYU Cougar Club Beer drinking chapter. Anyone want to join with me?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 09:11PM

Yeah, it's not going away.
But it ceased to be relevant (to anyone but BYU) quite some time ago :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.