Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 01:07PM

If you've been aware of my posts about this, it's been a year like no other for me. First I identified my birth family in late January and made first contact in May. I learned I have a sister and 3 brothers (and a whole pile of cousins) I didn't know about. I met my two youngest brothers in July at my 67th birthday party and then last month my wife and I flew down to Arizona to spend Thanksgiving and meet my sister and her husband who live in Yuma and my brother and his wife from British Columbia who made the long trip down to the desert to meet us.
It has been a spectacular, heartwarming experience and my new siblings and their spouses have been so accepting and loving that I could not have written a better script. And the bonus in all this is that NONE OF THEM ARE MORMON AND THEY ALL LOVE TO PARTY AND CUSS!!
So it is with a very full heart I wish you all a very Merry Christmas or whatever it is that you may celebrate and a Happy and safe New Year from chilly, snowy Burr Farms just outside of Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.

Ron Burr

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 01:14PM

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Ron!

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 02:25PM

So thrilled to hear of your discovery and reuniting with your tribe...double bonus points that none have congenital stick up the ass syndrome...yup indeed its a cold BURRSY day in alberta...best part of alberta...as much as we bitch about wind...its a nice break from -30...all the best

Date: December 24, 2015 02:38PM

Thanks!.....and I've heard every line that pokes fun at my surname, but that's OK. Are you near me (Wilson Siding?).

RB

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 02:27PM

Almost too good to be true. So glad it happened to you.

Merry Christmas.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 02:27PM

That is wonderful news.

I hope to meet my birth son in my lifetime. And if not, it's my hope that one day he'll be able to meet his half-siblings with or without me.

Merry Christmas, and best wishes for the season!

Posted by: temnamedeborah ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 03:03PM

Congratulations on finding your birthfamily. It is one of most important things you'll do in your life. Enjoy your new family,,it's lovely to hear of a reunion.

Date: December 24, 2015 03:03PM

I wish you good luck in your search. My birth mother passed away on Dec. 30, 2014 after suffering a massive stroke last Christmas Day. I can only imagine what it would have been like to meet her. She had kept my birth secret from her own children and swore her own siblings to secrecy so I was a big surprise to my sister and brothers, so maybe it was not meant to be, but the rest of the story has been great.

RB

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 03:37PM

I found my birthson RB, and he was excited as me that I found him. But his adoptive mother flipped out and forbade him to have any contact with me. I believe she threatened him with disinheritance, and she has some wealth from her late husband.

It was a LDS adoption, I learned later after finding him some years back that LDSS goes to great lengths to erase the birth family, including history such as medical and even ethnicity.

LDS wants to believe birth families are immaterial, and we don't matter. That all that matters are the adoptive family, and the birth child doesn't need to know where he came from - because that's pretty much what happened to my son. His other relatives are snippety and extremely clannish Morons. A friend I know through another online site told me she lived in their tiny cloistered Idaho town with her husband and children for a while - they're non-LDS. The Mormons there were so clannish and rude to her and her family they moved away as soon as they were able to.

We were able to exchange information at least after I found him. He cut off all contact after his other mother had a meltdown. They weren't even speaking to each other when I found him because they hated each other (I've been told by his extended family.) Yet, you shoulda seen how she sucked up to him afterwards.

He's a returned missionary who dumped religion after his mission. He served in the Marines for five years. And then went to film and acting school. My mother went to acting school at age 20 in NYC. My other son worked in the movie industry during the same time my birth son was/is. And my birth son was the only poet/singer in his adoptive family. I've written poetry and been a singer for a good part of my life.

So much we have in common by shared DNA and family history. At least now he knows how to find me. Perhaps if I outlive his adoptive mom he'll want to meet - and if not, I've accepted that also.

He developed a drug and alcohol problem since his mission, and became very angry. Not only at his other mother, he also became angry with me. His adoptive dad and only sibling (also adopted) both died very young. His adoptive mom and him can't stand each other, but he has a large very Mormon extended adopted family. His grandmother and late father both wanted him and I to meet someday. They are his favorite relatives in his adopted kin. The only ones he really valued and loved the most.

So I'm still hopeful we'll meet. And if not, I've done what I can to let him know that I'm here if he ever does decide to.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 05:33PM

Hey RB!

From one Hoser to another...Wishing YOU and Yours the Best of the Holiday Season up there in the Great White North!!!

This one's for YOU Bro...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1RN3cYnY9k

Or so it seems to me...

BTDTEM

Date: December 24, 2015 06:06PM

Thanks for that! Love me some Bob & Doug! That bit may have been produced when SCTV came out of ITV in Edmonton AKA Edmonchuck. Good hoser shit!!

RB

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 05:41PM

Ron, you old reprobate! You're truly fucking awesome! Have a wonderful holiday and a fabulous New Year. Peace, happiness, and joy! The Boner.

Date: December 24, 2015 06:01PM

Thanks, bro!...My son and his family will be here soon...and then we'll start in on the Crown Royal Black, craft beer and whatever else we can get into trouble-wise. Fresh snow here and the roads are the shits so just gonna hunker down and party!

Ron

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 06:47PM

Ron, I love hearing about you being able to meet your birth family. I am glad this pass year has been good towards your and I wish for an even better one next year. Merry Christmas from my family to yours.

Posted by: Moron1 ( )
Date: December 24, 2015 09:20PM

I was raised in Lethbridge....miss southern Alberta. Thanks for sharing RB

Date: December 24, 2015 10:20PM

You're welcome. Been here for 67 years minus 8 months at Ricks in the 60's.

RB

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: December 25, 2015 03:51AM

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it with us. How fantastic that you are bonding with your siblings. I am so happy for you. Merry Christmas!

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: December 25, 2015 09:49AM

I was at Rick's myself in 68-69, one of the New Freedom Singers if you know who they were. Thanks for posting that wonderful story of finding your long lost family. Loved reading it on Christmas morning before everyone else wakes up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.