Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: December 30, 2015 11:25PM

I know this was brought up in a previous post: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1743015,1743015#msg-1743015

But Episode 4 shows the LDSS spaceship "The Nauvoo" which was being built for LDS to ship off to start colonizing a planet.
http://observer.com/2015/12/the-expanse-recap-1x04-mormon-spaceship/

So yes; Mormons are back in Sci-Fi shows again?!?! Don't know how long this story line will carry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 30, 2015 11:36PM

I saw that! Interesting, eh? And how rich that the black man told Mr. Mormon Big Wig where to stuff it when he tried to fire him from the project. I got a good chuckle out of that one.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 30, 2015 11:40PM

this is still my favorite ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J206CKoG1R0

Posted by: Southern Redneck ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 01:18AM

The expanse is based upon the first book of a 5 or 6 book series. I'm into book 4 and the church comes off looking okay I guess.It really was a "pick an odd religion" and run with it as part of the books. The one missionary that the run into was funny. I don't remember that scene from the book.

Date: January 30, 2016 01:21AM

Episode 8 -- One of the lead characters, Detective Miller, runs into a Mormon member-missionary while on a space transport vehicle. The Mormon waves a BoM at Miller and wryly notes that Miller doesn't look like the type who has accepted Christ into his life. Miller agrees, and questions the man about the projected mission of the Nauvoo to populate a distant and barely-known planet. The man gives a faith-promoting response that if the planet turns out to not be suitable, then they will know that they have not reached the end of their faith-driven journey. Miller notes that given the rising tensions within various political entities in the solar system, it might not be a bad time to "get out of Dodge," so to speak. It reminded me of the early Mormons moving from place to place on the frontier.

Waving the BoM didn't ring true to me given a future where print books are rarities and are treated like highly valuable antiques. Electronic reading devices are the norm.

I gasped when I saw the statue of Moroni gradually revealed in the episode's opening sequence.

In a previous episode, the manager of the Tycho space station is chided for "overcharging the Mormons for toilet seats" (on the Nauvoo spaceship, which is under construction at the station.)

I'm continuing to enjoy the show. The plot is complex and it is sometimes hard to follow the lesser plot points. But it is nonetheless very interesting. IMO the way that Mormonism is handled on the show would probably be fine with TBMs while simultaneously being entertaining for exmos. Mormons are not put down, but you can see the wackiness.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 01:28AM by summer.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 30, 2016 01:37AM

What Channel/Network is this on?

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 30, 2016 02:11AM

It's on SyFy. There was a little article about it in the SLC Tribune. It's not part of the story line (as of yet...) I think they probably just have a Mormon or Exmormon as a writer who can throw in a bunch of Mormonisms and words like Nauvoo, Angel Moroni statue, etc... http://www.sltrib.com/home/3463184-155/tuesday-on-tv-book-of-mormon

Date: January 30, 2016 06:09AM

New episodes are on Tuesdays at 10:00 P.M. Eastern. It looks like 11:00 P.M. in SLC? The entire season thus far is available on Comcast On Demand, and likely elsewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 06:13AM by summer.

Posted by: Exp ( )
Date: January 31, 2016 01:04PM

It would kick ass to know where else that show could be found!

Posted by: Exp ( )
Date: January 31, 2016 01:05PM

Exp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would kick ass to know where else that show
> could be found!

OMG!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 31, 2016 01:08PM

Watched a few minutes when the "Mormon" guy was preaching. He was dressed like the dude in "American Gothic" and sounded more like a TV evangelist. My take on it anyway.

RB

Date: January 31, 2016 01:31PM

You know, I would agree with you about that. The writers didn't get the character quite right -- he was a little more like a fundie Christian than a Mormon.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: February 01, 2016 05:50PM

Agreed, that interaction with the Mormon didn't really feel "Mormon" to me...

I don't know the background of the authors but either they have no understanding of Mormonism and just made a "Mormon/evangelical hybrid" or they have a pretty good understanding and figured that in 200 years Mormonism will have evolved to resemble something like our Evangelical Christians today.

I've been enjoying the show (and started the books), I like how the OPA is presumed to be partially funded by building a 2km long generation ship for the mormons to send thousands of their 'best and brightest' on a 100+ year journey out of the solar system. There is something poetic in that.

Date: February 01, 2016 06:01PM

I like the fact that there are two strong protagonists.

I want to give the first book a whirl.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.