Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 31, 2015 09:37PM

Perhaps the legend of Sasquach that got passed down to us orally, and in our bones, is what we fear in ourselves,
The 3% of us that is Neanderthal if we are white, or Asian. The 4% of Asians that are Homo Sapiens Denisovan, giving Sherpas t h e ability to survive longer at high altitude than us non-Denisovans.
Perhaps Adam is the memory of Homo Sapiens Idaltu (The First Elder Man) that lives inside and makes up most of our genes. Perhaps Eve was Homo Sapiens Neanderthalis, both of whom preceeded us by millions of years and co-existed with us for far longer than we have existed since we absorbed them into our genetic makeup.
Africans are the only "pure" Homo Sapiens Sapiens. The rest of us are all hybrids, mutts. We all came from Africans and mixed with the 18 different sub species who preceeded Homo Sapiens Sapiens out of Africa.
Until we ended up Homo Sapiens Sapiens/Denisovans/Nealderthals/Idaltu.

Wise Wise Humans.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2015 10:04PM by koriwhore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 31, 2015 09:46PM

This makes a great deal of common sense, koriwhore...

And if so...and at least eventually, isn't the temple film going to have to be remade so that the characters of Adam and Eve conform to historical realities??? ;)

Date: December 31, 2015 10:12PM

To be filmed in one day in SLC the Day before the next ExMo Conference.
Using Mike Norton's Temple video, with people dressed up in Cro- Magnons, Neanderthals, Denisovans and Idaltus, in front of a green screen.
Then we'll superimpose them on the temple movie abd post it on YouTube.
Think that'd piss off some Mormons?,
It'd be hillarious if you used Min every time God appears in the Movie he'd appear like Figure 7,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2015 10:15PM by koriwhore.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 11:10PM

white's came out of blacks? hmmm, They'll all be changing their minds again when the scientists decide they need to make more money selling a different idea. Next they'll say we came out of the mongols or something.

no I think I'll stick with what I learned from 3rd reich, and the Aryan nations stuff.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 31, 2015 10:29PM

H.G. Wells said that stories of ogres and boogeymen may be relics of prehistoric encounters with Neanderthals. Our DNA suggests that some of those encounters were of the romantic sort. Having been raised by ogres, I have my own view on the matter.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 31, 2015 11:53PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Havingbeen raised by ogres, I have my own view on the matter.

Having been married to the same, I have a similar view.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 12:00AM

As a female who lives in culture of looks are everything, I have to wonder why women are shaving or waxing about 1/3 of their bodies.

Men don't seem to have this issue until it comes to their face. The whole thing seems a bit out of control.

I guess the human race decided we'd all look more civilized if we'd rid ourselves of hair. That is, unless it's on top of your head. God forbid anyone should go bald.

Civilization can be such a trial. Short/tall--fat/thin---hairy/bald, and on and on it goes.

When in the end, we all (if we're lucky) end up old, probably bald, saggy, and with hair and fat in all the wrong places.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2016 12:01AM by madalice.

Posted by: Elijah Unabel ( )
Date: December 31, 2015 11:47PM

This riddle has already been solved. Sasquatch is actually Cain.

http://www.mormonthink.com/glossary/bigfoot.htm

Date: January 01, 2016 12:15AM

Once Mormonthink has spoken, the thinking has been done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2016 12:16AM by koriwhore.

Posted by: Mitch McDeere ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 12:04AM

Cain the Sasquatch will never go near an LDS Building, as he doesn't want to get added to the toilet cleaning list...

Date: January 01, 2016 12:18AM

He wouldn't need a scrub brush.
he could just use his Wooky arrms to scrub toilets,

Posted by: Mitch McDeere ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 02:08PM

Good Point.

Perhaps he's really afraid of getting sucked into MLM "opportunities"? :-)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 01:01AM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 01:25AM

That's what I was thinking.

The notion that there is a human memory of interactions with Neanderthals requires a Jungian imprint since the memory has to have been preserved for 10s of thousands of years. But Jungian imagery does not require an actual event: images and ideas stem from underlying human desires and fears.

So we end up with a paradox: the notion of a remembered encounter with Neanderthals proves either that that encounter occurred or that it did not occur. Jung would look at the Big Foot-Sasquatch-Yeti complex as expressions of underlying human psychology rather than as evidence of any specific event(s) that took place so long ago.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 03:07AM

These animals became extinct 8,000 years ago but some may have survived long enough for native people to remember them and over time memories of these creatures formed the basis for the legend of the Sasquatch.

Date: January 01, 2016 06:38AM

The consensus is still that Neanderthals died off 40,000 years ago and only overlapped with homo sapiens sapiens for 10,000 or so years in the Middle East and about 5,000 in Europe. That is not a lot of time to make so deep an impression on humanity that it survived, without extensive mythology surrounding it, in some sort of collective memory. Moreover, the range of Neanderthals was limited to a small part of Eurasia and never came near China, Tibet, and the Himalayas--not to mention the Americas. So a shared history cannot explain the legends in those regions, be they Yeti or Sasquatch or Big Foot.

I therefore think, like Caffiend, that Jungian archetypes offer more explanatory power. Like snakes and spiders, the vision of a huge and dark force--perhaps a re-imagined warrior from another tribe, increased in size and darkened in hue by fearful human minds--may well exist as a psychological archetype. A parallel would be the monster Grendel in Beowulf, who lurks in the hazy borderlands around the edges of the tribal territory and threatens to invade and destroy if the tribe suffers moral or political setbacks. We are talking about manifestations of the "other," the foreign tribe and its warriors and the dark and evil threat that they pose. Such an archetype would explain why Sasquatch/Bigfoot/Yeti appears in cultures geographically and temporally isolated from Neanderthals.

The other weakness in the theory that there is a collective human memory of interaction with Neanderthals is the rather glaring absence of a Bigfoot/Sasquatch/Yeti tradition in Europe or the Levant. If that is where the critical contact occurred, then there should be strong "memories" of the large, hairy anthropomorphic beast in those geographical and cultural regions. If those do not exist, as seems to be the case, then once again we are forced to look for a more universal latent imagery that happened to reassert itself in several different parts of the world independently of Europe. Again, "Carl Jung would love this thread."

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 09:37AM

The Yeti (Dzu-Teh) is part myth and part real animal -- but which animal? One possible candidate is the rare Tibetan blue bear. The Dzu-Teh is said to be eight feet tall and preys on yaks and can kill a human with one swipe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeti#Possible_explanations

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 01:46PM

The Yeti *could* be part real animal.
It could also be entirely myth.
Same with Sasquatch.
And fire-breathing dragons.
And leviathan.
And centaurs.

The list of imaginary big bad animals/part animals humans have come up with is very long. Some may have had a basis in actual living things, but none of them *had* to have had such an actual basis. We're good at making things up out of thin air. :)

Date: January 01, 2016 02:20PM

Precisely.

What Jung posited was that we do exactly that. Different peoples are inspired by distinct phenomena--a blue bear here, a grizzly there, a whale over there--and that triggers a deep psychological fear or awe that enhances the image in size, coloration, and fearful characteristics. You end up with something much bigger and more emotionally "alive" than a mere bear, something that serves as a repository of some of people's deeper anxieties about life, an archetype. Since the fears and images are "collective" in the sense that most people share them, like a visceral fear of snakes and spiders, the new image spreads far and wide. Even some of the most rational people, people who don't think Sasquatch exists, find the topic intriguing.

The question isn't whether some people encountered blue bears in the Himalayas but why the Yeti legend would spread through big parts of China and persist in areas where there are no such animals. Likewise, the question isn't whether American Indians occasionally met huge bears in the Pacific West but why those experiences would fascinate so many Europeans and modern Asians across North America today. The truth is that the image appeals to something deep within our psyches; it is more powerful psychologically than the substance of any past encounters would merit.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 02:26PM

So... will there be a time when the fabled "Buxom Blonde Bimbo" will haunt the minds of men?

Date: January 01, 2016 02:29PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So... will there be a time when the fabled "Buxom
> Blonde Bimbo" will haunt the minds of men?

I think that's been ongoing among many American males since the days of Marilyn Monroe...

Me, I prefer brunettes :)

Date: January 01, 2016 02:46PM

Apparently the Buxom Blonde Bimbo archetype is alive and well in at least some Lamanite minds!

Seriously, an aside from long ago. I was walking with my kids to a Taco Bell and saw a big truck parked to the side. It had mud flaps with really large silver raised images. I'm going to guess that the images were 18 inches high and 12 inches wide set against the black of the flaps. They were of a very suggestive female body. The woman was sitting on her hips twisting her torso towards the viewer, her large breasts displayed prominently. It was an arousing display even if the details had been omitted. So stylized but in questionable taste.

My artistic little boy, three at the time, looked at it. His jaw dropped and he stared in awe. Then he said, "That is beautiful. . ." Oh no, I thought, do I have to deal with the sex talk already? Then, after a thoughtful pause, he said, "What is it?"

He didn't know it was a woman or that it was sexual. He just thought the image, the shape was beautiful. I thought, wow, Jung was right. A little boy was predisposed to find the image appealing even if he lacked the insight to appreciate it the way that EOD does!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 05:09PM

I am much deeper than that!!

See, the pure whiteness of Whiteness is under attack by hybridizing; there's just so much of it going on! I have hybrid kids. Lots of people on this site have hybrid kids.

If this trend continues, the pure "Blonde" could go the way of the passenger pigeon and the horny armadillo. That's the future to which I was referring, that day the last Blonde dies and there are no more blondes, at least not pure White.

Date: January 01, 2016 07:20PM

My kids are hybrids, too. Hybrids, I think, are generally much better looking than their parents. . . and smarter. . . and more charming.

What was interesting to me in the mudflap story is that the image was entirely abstract. there was no race or color attached, just a simple shape--and even the shape was fairly abstract. Yet it spoke to my boy in a way he did not even understand.

Date: January 01, 2016 07:31PM

As in..."umm, boobies!" ?

:)

(oh, and my kids are hybrids too!)

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 03:19PM

Manbearpig.

Al Gore tried to warn everybody.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 05:48PM

Bigfoot is a pet peeve of mine because I wasted a lot of time on that subject after a gonzo biology teacher told us about it at about the same time the Argosy magazine came out with the Patterson film (proven to be a fake, and the actor who wore the suit, Bob Hieronimous, admitting what happened).

(Yes, I'm aware there are claims out there that it wasn't. You know they're true; you read them on the Internet)

Homo sapiens is the only great ape who made the Siberian crossing to this hemisphere, period. Sasquatch/Bigfoot is the product of some silly hillbillies drinking too much corn liquor and "having fun with the flatlanders." Yeah, that's how they refer to outsiders...

Neanderthals went extinct 40,000 years ago, although there's evidence they did intermarry with H. sapiens (I'm still a bit doubtful of the evidence on that one, but I'm just a science reporter).

The Berengia Land Bridge was open about 35,000 years ago, and some simple geography will let anyone with a three-figure I.Q. realize the distances are too far for Neanderthals to have made the trek.

Alas, those Mormong gullibility genes are incredibly resistant to cognitive restructuring.

And bunk sells; de-bunking doesn't.

Date: January 01, 2016 06:31PM

So i take it you dont much care for genetic evidence that proves we did interbreed with Denisovans, Neanderthals and Idaltu?

Date: January 01, 2016 06:54PM

For illegal--and silly--use of a straw man argument.

Unlike you, I understand the genetics (I helped Simon Southerton edit his conribution to the online "Encyclopedia of Global Human Migration"), and the DNA sequencing apparently shows that Neanderthals--and probably Denisovians--did leave evidence of interbreeding with humans. I also understand actual science, and when I don't, I've got at least three PhD's who are only an e-mail away.

There remain other possibilities, however, and I've recovered from my "LDS upbringing" enough that I don't engage in black-and-white analysis where science is concerned.

If you'll check the research--instead of engaging in drama-llama histrionics and attention getting behavior that actually hurts the credibility of this site--you'll find there's no surviving Neanderthal Y-Chromosome DNA, and the other evidence is found in autosomal DNA (that's the DNA in the nucleus). Alternative explanations for the presence of those sequences exist--and the genomes of humans in Africa are the most diverse on the planet and the least studied. That means the conclusions may be subject to reinterpretation.

Tell you what: Why don't you go listen to Jeffery Meldrum, the "World's Leading Bigfoot Authority," and consider the reality that he's also an LDS apologist.

It won't leave you anymore confused than you are already are, and it might disabuse of some serious misunderstandings.

What I said was that Neanderthals went extinct before the only conceivable "port of entry" into this hemisphere--the Berengia land bridge--was open. Five thousand years, in fact; wrap your noodle around that figure, please...

Oh wait, I'm sorry; it is possible that Sassie was transported in those space ships that Von Däniken guy is always talking about.

(I suppose I need a sarcasm tag on that one for people like you)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2016 06:58PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: January 02, 2016 12:22AM

"instead of engaging in drama-llama histrionics and attention getting behavior that actually hurts the credibility of this site-"

Seriously Dude?
So because you have the emails of 3 PhD's my opinion "ruins the credibility of this site"
lol

Appeal to Authority much?

Give me a break.

You think RfM has some 'credibility' with Mormons? Hardly. And why are you so worried about the opinions of Mormons? As if they have a high opinion of anybody on RfM?

Who cares about their 'credibility' with Mormons? I sure as hell don't. People who sing the praises of a child rapist don't have any credibility with me, that's for sure.

"Homo sapiens is the only great ape who made the Siberian crossing to this hemisphere"

You do realize there are at least 4 different subspecies of Homo Sapiens, right? We are the 4th or 5th Homo Sapiens.
First there was Cro-Magnon , Then Idaltu, then Neanderthal, then Denisovan, then us, homo Sapiens, Sapiens. We're hybrids.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/neanderthal/

Asians can be up to 4% Neanderthal and an aditional 5% Denisovan. That means they're at most 91% genetically identical to an African, who is zero Neanderthal and zero Denisovan DNA.
https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/denisovan/

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2016 12:38AM by koriwhore.

Date: January 02, 2016 12:48AM

Unfortunately, the denial you've put on display tells me you're utterly oblivious to your own actions.

If I'm being a dick pointing out how you're an example of arrested development, so be it...

My students in the rehab thought so, too.

The one's that eventually "grew up" thanked me, however.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 11:31PM

The reason is that many cultures have fables (histories???) and stories of Bigfoot creatures and Fairie (Leprechauns Menehune https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menehune).

Joseph had to make up a theory/history for some of the religious studies i.e. the Nephilim https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim

So he made up Cain as a giant, hair covered man walking the Earth.

People though have memories of Neanderthal and other "Homo" relatives http://news.yahoo.com/ancient-human-ancestor-may-persisted-ice-age-231219583.html;_ylt=AwrXgiI6UYdWqnIAD4jQtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTByb2lvbXVuBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--

Which may have shared land, hunting grounds and relations with us; so Carl Jung's "collective consciousness" and the verbal histories may have been passed down.... There's also the story of the real hobbits from Indonesia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_floresiensis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2016 11:34PM by dydimus.

Date: January 02, 2016 12:57AM

People make up beliefs for their survival value, IMHO...

"Magic Thinking" is one of those processes. Tbat's how children process trauma, honest.

Some of the Indonesian legends can probably be attributed to sightings of Orangutans, particulary young ones...

And from a historical standpoint (per Wiki), Indonesia's current Austronesian population arrived about 3000 B.C. or about 10,000 years after the last H. florensiensis died out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.