Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 01:28PM

Oregon Public Radio did an excellent piece on Captain MORONi here
http://www.opb.org/news/article/explainer-the-bundy-militias-particular-brand-of-mormonism/?t=749885#.VoncrtYXXQA.twitter
Is this the Mormon extremist threat Krakauer warned us about in Under The Banner of Heaven?
Id sure be interested in his take on recent Mormon challenges to the Feds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dale B. ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 01:42PM

koriwhore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oregon Public Radio did an excellent piece on
> Captain MORONi here
> http://www.opb.org/news/article/explainer-the-bund
> y-militias-particular-brand-of-mormonism/?t=749885
> #.VoncrtYXXQA.twitter
> Is this the Mormon extremist threat Krakauer
> warned us about in Under The Banner of Heaven?
> Id sure be interested in his take on recent Mormon
> challenges to the Feds.

Are these "militia" thugs even real Mormons?

Yeah, the Bundy family members retain their
status in their local Nevada ward, but I wonder
about the others.

For example -- "Captain Moroni," who came to
Oregon "to die." I thought said scriptural
figure was a valiant fighter, and not a suicide.

The Oath Keepers honcho calls this bunch in
Oregon "potheads." Armed LDS dopers?

What next!

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 02:18PM

The couple who attacked and killed 2 policemen having lunch in Henderson, Nevada, along with a man in Walmart had recently been hanging with the Bundy crowd near Mesquite.

The lunatic fringe, indeed!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 05:36PM

Unfortunately, mainstream Mormonism reconizes the horror of the Lafferty Brothers' extremism--and denounces it--but many of them embrace the Bundy's and their clan.

I put this up here about ten years ago, and it was well-received:

Subj: Krakauer Review

I just finished this book and only read it because my mother happened to pick up a copy (I've got plenty already to make me livid about the Mormon Church without adding another helping to my plate). I also knew reading it would afford me entrance into discussions on this bulletin board . . .

There was very little in the book that was new information to me, but then I've read most of the original sources except Michael Quinn's. If you want a thumbnail history of many of the national headline issues that have come out of Utah in the last century-and-a-half, then this book offers it.

The one allegation that was new to me was the alleged murder by Southern Utah Mormons of the three members who left John Wesley Powell's Colorado River expedition. The original story--which I first saw in a movie and which Powell went to his deathbed believing--was they were killed by Indians. Krakauer goes into substantial detail about this, and the witnesses he cites are credible Mormons who had no axe to grind against the church.

My issues with the book are largely editorial ones; I thought it was particularly gruesome, and if it hadn't been written so quickly, perhaps this quality could have been mitigated slightly. We visit the murder of Brenda Wright Lafferty at least three times, and I'm enough of a wuss to think once might've been enough. The piece on Elizabeth Smart's rape was also equally chilling. Others may find this a palatable part of their reading diet, but I don't have much appetite for it . . . I recognize that the writer's goal is to somehow make the unthinkable understandable to the reader, and it is perhaps intrinsic to this kind of storytelling that sane people don't react well to insanity.

I think Krakauer grew substantially in his understandings in writing this book . . .

I do find it interesting that neither Krakauer nor church historian Turley seized on what was obvious to me, that the "middle step" between Mormonism and the Laffertys' homicidal fanaticism occured with the abuse of the Lafferty children in their upbringing. They were regularly beaten and witnessed their mother being beaten as well; additionally, there's a narrative describing the brothers engaging
in a "pissing party," and perhaps only an insider can understand the internalizing of shame and mixed messages about our bodies and our sexuality that occurs in the Mormon culture.

I want to particularly compliment Krakauer on his presentations of the psychological material from the Lafferty trial. As one who has had firsthand contact with the University of Utah's pool of psychiatrists and psychologists, I found the explorations and presentations on the subject of narcissism and narcissistic disorders particularly lucid and well-grounded. The cerebral explorations at least afforded some distance from the emotional blood-and-guts of so much actual physical violence.

Krakauer, as a conclusion to this study on the sanity vs. insanity argument, notes that it's very likely the State of Utah will execute Ron Lafferty in the fairly near future. What he doesn't say--and I'm not sure he realizes it--is the reason this execution will occur is because the citizens of Utah won't allow him to live as a reminder of their own unresolved darkside issues.

(Cabdriver Confession 2016: Boy, Krakauer and I were sure wrong on that prediction)

They already hate Dan Lafferty--and by extension, his cellmate, Mark Hofmann--for these crimes-beyond-murder, and the prospect of yet another is likely to be unbearable. And of course, they see Krakauer as an accomplice to this travesty.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 01:50PM

Brenda's own family is unwilling or unable to admit that MORmONISM had any role in Brenda's brutal MORmON Temple penalty style murder. Observe the comments made by Sharon Wright, Brenda's sister. ........religion IS insanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0wFt1r3zYg an

Date: January 05, 2016 05:41PM

A pass on this stuff, same as I give Elizabeth Smart a lot of leeway (and I'm still grateful ADMIN let me "blood atone" a trollish sort who came here in the "pre-registration" days and repeated a post from another site--it had been deleted here--where someone had impersonated me with some pretty vile crap involving Elizabeth).

Bear in mind that Sharon Wright is a victim, regardless of the particulars....

Posted by: Dafuq ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 06:37PM

"God is greater than the United States, and when the Government conflicts with heaven, we will be ranged under the banner of heaven against the Government..."

Prophet John Taylor, Jan. 4, 1880

Posted by: Elijah Unabel ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 07:41PM

You guys just don't get it, do you. Clive Bundy is a true patriot who was just trying to avert another Civil War by following instructions straight from God.

“I have no idea what God wants done, but he did inspire me to have the sheriffs across the United States take away these weapons, disarm these bureaucracies, and he also gave me a little inspiration on what would happen if they didn’t do that,” Bundy said while speaking on the radio program KUER later that year. “It was indicated that ‘this is our chance, America, to straighten this problem up. If we don’t solve this problem this way, we will face these same guns in a civil war.'”

So what was Clive supposed to do? Ignore God and be responsible for a civil war? I sure wouldn't want that on my conscience.

Clive's angelic sons are just continuing the family tradition of humbly doing what God tells them to do:

“I clearly understood that the Lord was not pleased with what was happening to the Hammonds,” Ammon said in between various references to prayer. He also reflected on God guiding him through the process: “It was exactly like it was happening at the Bundy ranch, when we were guided and directed as to what we were supposed to do…[Our plan is] wisdom in the Lord…And I ask you now to come participate in this wonderful thing in Harney County that the Lord is about to accomplish.”

Some come on guys, let's give the Bundy family a break and maybe a little adulation. You can't fault people for doing what God tells them to do.

On this site, Thomas Monson sometimes gets criticized for not passing on any new instructions from God. Well, now it should be clear why. God's so busy talking to the Bundy family that He just doesn't have time to get on the line with Thomas.

And in case anyone is wondering, yes, there is a little bit of sarcasm in this post.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 07:52PM

LOL. Nice.

They must feel sooooo special to have God letting them know what everyone is supposed to be doing.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 09:36PM

The LDS church claims that the Mountain Meadows Massacre was committed by misguided Mormons. Right now the church has misguided members known as the Bundy family.

This is from the LDS essay on the MMM:

“What was done here long ago by members of our Church represents a terrible and inexcusable departure from Christian teaching and conduct. We cannot change what happened, but we can remember and honor those who were killed here."
https://www.lds.org/topics/mountain-meadows-massacre?lang=eng

The church should excommunicate the Bundys now so that later the COJCOLDS won't try to say "We cannot change what happened". They can distance themselves from the Bundys RIGHT NOW with church courts. But they don't.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 10:35PM

It should be mentioned that the armed overtaking of a federal government building by a faction is an act of war.

Politically the wise action is wait them out. However, legally, one could expect to see drone strikes, local law enforcemnt with their military equipment, and Homeland Security opening quite a can of whoopass.

I would expect the largest LDS complaint would be someone with the mormon name of ammon having facial hair. I would expect him to be summoned to a court of love over that.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 10:50PM

Oh, just build a tall fence around 'em.
Conveniently forget the gate though.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 11:40PM

And make the Mormons pay for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2016 11:40PM by koriwhore.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 12:07AM

I say jam their phones and cut off all utilities and starve them out.

Totally isolate them. give those attention whores no publicity.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 12:18AM

These actions define terrorism. Mormon and Islam extremists are two peas in a pod. All extremes are dangerous.

Posted by: invinoveritas ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 12:30AM

No explanation necessary. Just good ole boy Bat Shit Crazy!

"By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of God." from Kingdom of Heaven (the movie)

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 12:33AM

Perhaps a one two punch.

A few days of bery loud Justin Bieber music.

Then, providing he is not part of the occupiers, send in Chuck Norris.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 02:44PM

1) Public lands mean the public at large, not some particular subset of that public. If the majority of the public want wild lands to be kept wild, and semi-wild lands to be kept semi-wild, then by god that's how they should be kept, by the government, which is an instrument of the public.

I'll never forget pulling into a small canyon at Lake Powell, looking for a mooring for our houseboat, to find a beach covered in cow shit. I mean cow shit 12" - 18" deep. It was disgusting.

So tell me, how is allowing ranchers unfettered access to any and all public lands, to do with as they want, serving the greater public good? The western united states is a fragile ecosystem, and is not able to support large herds of domesticated herbivores.

Somebody needs to explain to these pissant illiterate inbreds what PUBLIC actually means.

2) If ranchers are so goddamned busy all the goddamned time, how is it that they have oodles of free time at their disposal, to go sit in a backwoods federal building for days on end, twiddling their thumbs?

Hard-working ranchers these guys are not.

(I grew up on a farm. I know what work is like in that world.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2016 02:46PM by schlock.

Posted by: Dafuq ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 04:33PM

Yep

One has to look no further than the history of the infamous Aztec Cattle Co (Hashknife) and their exploitation of the lower Colorado Plateau just over 100 years ago to see the devastation domestic cattle and wild cowboys can cause.

The following statement from one mormon settler to the area sums it up well:

"When we came to Arizona in 1876, the hills and plains were covered with high grass and the country was not cut up with ravines and gullies as it is now. This has been brought about through overstocking the ranges. On the Little Colorado we could cut hay for miles and miles in every direction. The Aztec Cattle Company brought tens of thousands of cattle into the country, claimed every other section, overstocked the range and fed out all the grass. Then the water, not being held back, followed the cattle-trails and cut the country up. Later tens of thousands of cattle died because of drought and lack of feed and disease. The river banks were covered with dead carcasses." David E. Adams-1905

His progeny still live in the area.

The land has yet to recover and will forever be scarred

Ironic

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 07:15PM

3) The land being disputed by Ammon "Nephite Warrior" Bundy: Stolen, for all intents and purposes, by white settlers, from native americans. (Meaning not only was it traditional native american land that white settlers simply homesteaded, this was land that was set aside by the u.s. government as a paiute reservation, and was then absconded, in piecemeal fashion, by white settlers - after its designation as a reservation.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malheur_Indian_Reservation

Date: January 05, 2016 07:58PM

"Ammon Bundy, while he hates the Federal Government, was the recipient of a half-a-million dollar SBA loan a few years ago."

Looks like "Hardball" hands out roadkill awards as well.

Well done, Chris. I hope Monson doesn't wake you up with one of his late-night phone calls he's noted for...

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 10:59PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.