Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: maria ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:56PM

Note-this does not apply to mormon women, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, the mormon concept of "enduring to the end" and eventually becoming gods is pretty enticing. Not only do you reach heaven, but you get to have supreme power, aka godhood after that.

This would sound great to many normal non-mormons, but to a mormon himself, why is this such a goal to be achieved?

A god is the ultimate authority with the ultimate power. He creates the universe and the inhabitants of that earth. He creates his own laws of physics and biology. He can bless and punish his followers as he sees fit. Miracles are attributed to his name and disasters are attributed to his wrath.

When a mormon is living his life as a mortal man, he has almost zero power to control his universe. He cannot wear the type of underwear he feels comfortable in, he cannot wear Oxford shirts in a color other than white, (in some jurisdictions) he cannot watch R-rated movies, choose which churchhouse to attend meetings and what time, he is coerced into serving a mission where he is forbidden from secular media, he cannot choose his volunteer work at his church. Finally he is commanded to marry as young as possible and start to have children immediately, regardless of if he is financially/emotionally ready for it.

Nearly every detail of a mormon's life is dictated to him/her, and they go along with it for blessings in heaven.

For a man, the Celestial kingdom is a huge reward for a lifetime of paying to be in servitude.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Way Out ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 01:36PM

The jihadist factions of Islam may offer their martyrs 70 or 72 virgins if they die for the cause and mormons offer deification (and basically unlimited women to the faithful mormon priesthood holders to serve as their spirit-birthing vessels). Birds of a feather...

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today :)

P.S. Anyone making a $100,000 donation to my personal PayPal account will spend the eternities as a Rock Star of the Gods. I know this won't appeal to everyone, but I only need a few donations to make this thing work, you know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2010 01:37PM by Way Out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.